Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 04:08 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Who legislated shooting people with mental health issues bc cops don't know how to deescalate a situation?
How are you supposed to (1) know who is or isn't mentally ill rolling up on a call and (2)deescalate an armed man point a gun at everybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 04:17 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Ask the people in other civilized countries where their police dont shoot from the hip, arent idiots and dont get killed.
BTW, alot of police departments here DO work with de-escalation technics, its the ones that dont that are screwing up all the time.

But in this country, the towns D.A. and prosecutors make sure to get their bad cops off the hook to keep people afraid and docile, which makes people like you rationalize away extremely bad police behavior, they keep you fooled. So its working and they want it to stay that way. But it wont for much longer.

Ask people in other countries why they have more culturally ingrained respect for police instead of entire culture sets that celebrate contempt for law enforcement.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:32 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ask people in other countries why they have more culturally ingrained respect for police instead of entire culture sets that celebrate contempt for law enforcement.
They have more respect ingrained for the police in other civilized countries because the police arent setup to kill with impunity.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:39 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,117,547 times
Quote:
And yet that doesn't stop Conservatives from fawning over them whenever they feel like our police forces are turning the violence towards people they're okay with.

If Conservatives really believed that, then "Just comply" would never be acceptable excuse for police use of force. Fact is the overwhelming majority of Conservatives just play lip service to points like that when in fact they are the most supportive group in America of a police state.
Conservatives are Statists, just like liberals.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Would you ever defend a mugger for shooting his victim b/c the victim didn't just comply? "Oh it's partially his fault that he'd dead, if he just listened and gave up his phone exactly how the mugger asked"
Do you always pay your taxes? If you don't pay tribute to the State, they arrest you. If you defend yourself, they shoot you.

Would you ever defend the State for shooting its victim b/c the victim didn't just comply? "Oh it's partially his fault that he's dead, if he just listened and gave up his income exactly how the State asked."

Old 05-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Most of the conservatives I know believe in maintaining law and order. It's the libertarians and anarcho-capitalists who appear to join with left and consider police the enemy.
Leftists consider cops the enemy for entirely different reasons than do libertarians. Libertarians understand that cops are the unionized, pensioned, revenue collecting goons for the State, and are completely antithetical to freedom.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:23 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
They have more respect ingrained for the police in other civilized countries because the police arent setup to kill with impunity.

Police cannot "kill with impunity" here ....that kind of rhetoric doesn't help the situation at all.

And it's lead to more and more people thinking they can disobey and generally act the fool with police without consequences.

I've had multiple encounters with police in my lifetime, most of which were when I was young and stupid and doing something I shouldn't have been.

But even back then I was smart enough to know that if I challenged a cop, it would end badly for me.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:25 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
my favorite was the female cop shot that big guy because she was scared, all while being filed from helicopter

cops are the only industrial where its legal to kill people. just because they are scared

Old 05-11-2018, 05:27 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
i think we need to disarm cops, they have proven repeatedly that they can't be responsible with a firearm.

if you are not going play nice johnny, we are going take your toys away

Old 05-11-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
cops are the only industrial where its legal to kill people. just because they are scared
You forgot the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies