Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 02:40 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,150,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
A few points to ponder before reacting:

1. It is absolutely normal for teachers to share parts of their personal lives with their students such as what this teacher did.

Really? I went through 16 years of school without any teacher showing me a photograph. To the best of my recollection, not a single teacher in elementary school ever mentioned their personal lives. I have no idea if they were even married or had children.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:43 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,685,380 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yet your posts indicate it's intensely personal to you even though you have no children.

Children are naturally curious about their teachers. While I can't recall ever having a slide show- I can recall each of us telling a bit about ourselves and lives as well we the teacher.
Back to school for you. I said I didn't have kids in school not that I didn't have kids. Concentrate on reading the written word this time and less on trying to read the thoughts of children and their curiosity.

Quote:
Bottom line is this teacher is going to get her job back.
Where does it say that in the link or is that just another opinion as fact observation ?

It said the issue was whether Ms. Bailey had followed district guidelines that require “controversial subjects be taught in ‘an impartial and objective manner. Teachers shall not use the classroom to transmit personal belief regarding political or sectarian issues.”

Has the court case been decided ?

Old 05-13-2018, 02:48 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,685,380 times
Quote:
I hope she wins BIG. A message needs to be sent that this sort of discrimination against innocent people will not be tolerated.
The innocent in the story are the kids and I hope that gets tattooed on her a$$ as part of the judges decision. Who knows what a judge will decide these days. For some judges rape is treaded like a minor infraction.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,638,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Really? I went through 16 years of school without any teacher showing me a photograph. To the best of my recollection, not a single teacher in elementary school ever mentioned their personal lives. I have no idea if they were even married or had children.
It was quite obvious that some of our teachers were married with children, as some of my classmates were children of the teachers at the school I went to

Old 05-13-2018, 02:49 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,638,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The innocent in the story are the kids and I hope that gets tattooed on her a$$ as part of the judges decision. Who knows what a judge will decide these days.
Wrong

Old 05-13-2018, 03:07 PM

57,379 posts, read 26,294,968 times
Quote:
The innocent in the story are the kids and I hope that gets tattooed on her a$$ as part of the judges decision. Who knows what a judge will decide these days. For some judges rape is treaded like a minor infraction.
The smart money says the school district will lose on this one, all she needs is another example of a teacher sharing with their students.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:47 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,338,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
When did you guys go to school, the 1950's? Maybe it was different back then, but I graduated high school in 2001, and that was my experience in public school in New York
I graduated in the 90s and my experience was like that of the teacher in the original article throughout elementary and high school.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:48 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,191,473 times
Quote:
Its not about me. I'm not mentioned in the link. I don't have kids in school so its less personal to me than it would be to many others. You may have been tortured in the manner you described but I wasn't harmed by it.
The ignorant teacher made it personal when she introduced it into her classroom and then the courts.
I was not tortured in a gay conversion camp like you just admitted. I'm so sorry. Everyone deserves love and it is too bad you were denied it. Again, I hope you find love and light in your heart one day. Take care.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:49 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,338,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I know you were replying to another poster, however your analogy is flawed. While many people might object to interracial relationships, it is still a natural male/female coupling, where as homosexuality is not.
As to same "rights", would anyone with unnatural sexual behavior be considered to have their rights infringed just because they cannot inform children of it?
Bestiality for example.
Interracial marriage used to be thought of as an aberration of nature too.

Bestiality is flawed as one of the beings cannot give consent.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:49 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,966,337 times
Quote:
I hope she wins BIG. A message needs to be sent that this sort of discrimination against innocent people will not be tolerated.
And if a teacher who was married showed a class pictures of her big church wedding and talked about how great god was and that she was so excited her wedding was in the church and in the presence of god as she flipped through the slides, you'd have no problem with that?

Neither scenario is appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies