Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 07:24 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Only way for Democrats to pander their politics is to tell everyone how lesser than they are and how they're going to fix it for them. They never fix it, they can't, what else would they run on in the future.

All politicians pander to the populace and tell them how they're going to "fix" something in their lives. None of them would have anything to run on if they stopped doing so.

Hell, this morning I saw a clip that Trump is still telling his adherents that Mexico is going to pay for "the wall" lol. This is going to "fix" immigration for his adherents. He wants to "fix" all kinds of things for his constituents by giving them something he believes they want - that is the basis of politics.

This whole "Democrats" things from the right is just as silly and played out as the right constantly trying to tell someone they are "playing the race card."

Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Racial inequality and racism are to disparate things.
Regardless, black culture was better off in the 1950's even though overt racism existed. They of course never experienced the dehumanizing life of their slave ancestors, but still had a strong and positive assimilation into American culture. They had intact families, making their kids get an education, going to church, good work ethic, etc.
It wasn't until LBJ infamously said "he would give the uppity negros a little something, not enough to make a difference. Then he'd have those n iggers voting Democrat for the next 200 years".
Sure enough, despite his racist thoughts and comments, he accomplished his goal with all sorts of handouts and programs designed to say blacks were incapable of fending for and taking care of themselves, without white peoples help.

So as someone else said, the Democrats will not let racial strife and grievances go, because they manage to put together coalitions of voters based on victim-hood, identity politics and stirring racial animus.

`

You don't know what "black culture" is so it would behoove you to not speak on things you know nothing of.

Black people have been in America longer than most white people and so therefore are more culturally American in many ways than whites whose parents were/are recent immigrants from 1900 forward.

On family, education, faith, work, etc., these were and still are huge parts of black American culture. Interestingly, black people had to "fight" in many ways to be able to keep their families together, to get an education, to worship the way they wanted and to be able to have the opportunity to use their labor to take care of themselves, their families and communities.

Politics have nothing really to do with black people or our culture. We are much better off today versus the 1950s when over 70% of black people lived in poverty and the #1 issue that kept our ancestors from being "successful" by the white patriarchal definition (living the way white people wanted them to) ironically was white supremacy racism that said that blacks were ignorant/stupid and so shouldn't have good schools like the whites, that they were too stupid/ignorant to vote so whites stopped them from voting, that they were violent/criminals which is why the whites had to mob them and kill them whenever the whites felt they got out of "their place," that blacks didn't deserve to get paid the same money that white men especially go paid in order to take care of their families (just by them being black, the whites felt they didn't deserve it).

So it is interesting to me that you ignore the facts of the above. Interesting and laughable and shows me you are probably one of those people who ignore the fact that there was and still is a such thing as white supremacy ideology, which dictated oppressively so in the past that black people were inferior to whites and therefore should always be deemed as such and treated as such and not given many opportunities for advancement. Conversations such as these always show me how many of my country-men need to read more books from the 20th century in particular so you can see that this mindset - white supremacy, was fully entrenched and ingrained in the white population of America and it - white supremacy racism, was the main reason why blacks were denied the things mentioned above and attacked/killed by white mobs. The 20th century oppression of the black population is the direct reason for the "racial disparities" we see in society today. Luckily at the end of that century the overt oppression of white supremacy racism lessened. That lessening is the reason why black Americans have risen dramatically in a positive trajectory since 1980 in particular. But due to the ideology of white supremacy, those of you invested in seeing blacks as inferior will always only focus on negatives in order to create reasons for your continued investment in the ideology of white supremacy. IMO that is the basis of the 'race card' white people invested in white supremacy wanted to act like reality is a game.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:47 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,425,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
My black skin told me that, and the statistics showed me that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...nal_attainment

Gee, not bad for this "evil racist discriminatory" society we live in

I'll never understand how some blacks could make excuses while other blacks all around them lived successful lives.
I know you lack awareness and education on the topic. Your credibility is lacking in this subject.

I think you are a minority in the reality of racism. But there are always a few like you. You don't speak for the vast majority. Even the white folks that have knowledge disagree with you so don't use your skin color to get a pass with making ridiculous statements.

I enjoyed watching this Everyday Racism townhall last night. My claims aren't baseless or imagination as well as most minorities living in America. Only your claims.
https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/-e...-1244256835526

Old 05-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
It means there is no longer an excuse for blacks to not succeed.

That was a sign from God himself.

If you need more evidence, 50% of African immigrants in America have a college degree

That victimization game won’t get you anywhere in life.

You do realize that a majority of black people do "succeed" right.....

Even those of us who are not immigrants or the children of African immigrants. Today half of all black American youths who graduated high school this year (and nearly 90% of them graduate) are going to college too and about 30% of us have a college degree, which is a great thing compared to 1970 when less than 10% of blacks had a college degree and only 50% graduated high school. People just like to ignore these things because, as I noted above - they are heavily invested in the idea of black inferiority (and note many black people are as well and they think they are special because they have some money or live in the burbs when they are not special - they are just an average black person in America).

I'll note, as a black American, I also don't believe in victimization mindset and I do think it is prevalent in America today in all demographics, not just black people (for black people it is more prevalent amongst those who are invested in the ideology of black inferiority). IMO racism is still around but it is not a huge factor to overcome today like it was in the not too distant past because it is not overt; however it can still impact income, housing, and jobs along with discrimination by society based on the ideas people have about black people in this country.

Most black people I know agree with me on this mindset. It is ridiculous to think a majority of us don't.

I for one, appreciate the culture of my people that advocated for and won for me the right to opportunities to better myself and my family via education and better income amongst other things. Our culture is heavily based upon activism and "community uplift" and even that is still prevalent today amongst the black American demographic.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:21 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You don't know what "black culture" is so it would behoove you to not speak on things you know nothing of.

Black people have been in America longer than most white people and so therefore are more culturally American in many ways than whites whose parents were/are recent immigrants from 1900 forward.

On family, education, faith, work, etc., these were and still are huge parts of black American culture. Interestingly, black people had to "fight" in many ways to be able to keep their families together, to get an education, to worship the way they wanted and to be able to have the opportunity to use their labor to take care of themselves, their families and communities.

Politics have nothing really to do with black people or our culture. We are much better off today versus the 1950s when over 70% of black people lived in poverty and the #1 issue that kept our ancestors from being "successful" by the white patriarchal definition (living the way white people wanted them to) ironically was white supremacy racism that said that blacks were ignorant/stupid and so shouldn't have good schools like the whites, that they were too stupid/ignorant to vote so whites stopped them from voting, that they were violent/criminals which is why the whites had to mob them and kill them whenever the whites felt they got out of "their place," that blacks didn't deserve to get paid the same money that white men especially go paid in order to take care of their families (just by them being black, the whites felt they didn't deserve it).

So it is interesting to me that you ignore the facts of the above. Interesting and laughable and shows me you are probably one of those people who ignore the fact that there was and still is a such thing as white supremacy ideology, which dictated oppressively so in the past that black people were inferior to whites and therefore should always be deemed as such and treated as such and not given many opportunities for advancement. Conversations such as these always show me how many of my country-men need to read more books from the 20th century in particular so you can see that this mindset - white supremacy, was fully entrenched and ingrained in the white population of America and it - white supremacy racism, was the main reason why blacks were denied the things mentioned above and attacked/killed by white mobs. The 20th century oppression of the black population is the direct reason for the "racial disparities" we see in society today. Luckily at the end of that century the overt oppression of white supremacy racism lessened. That lessening is the reason why black Americans have risen dramatically in a positive trajectory since 1980 in particular. But due to the ideology of white supremacy, those of you invested in seeing blacks as inferior will always only focus on negatives in order to create reasons for your continued investment in the ideology of white supremacy. IMO that is the basis of the 'race card' white people invested in white supremacy wanted to act like reality is a game.

MMMM. Well, there's no denying the facts of the past. But it's interesting to me that you seem unwilling to move on from the past and apply those standards today. I don't believe that any history should be forgotten or (especially) white washed or revised into something it was not but neither should it be carried into the future like some sort of battle standard when the battles that are being represented have been joined. It's past time to finish cleaning up the carnage from the past and moving forward as one people.

Yes, there are still racist elements in our society but as I see it "equality" has come to represent returning the sins of the past and taking revenge for injustices that were not even suffered by those exacting it. The "race card" is often played as a tool to twist something innocuous into a major issue for the purpose of personal enrichment or some other ulterior motive and I believe that's what we're discussing here. It's not that it can't (or shouldn't ) be put into play it's the circumstances under which it is slid off the deck. We see it tabled far to often in situations it has no relevance to.

Black people are hardly the only ones who do this in fairness as we see the victim status applied to all manner of things in a completely unfair and unjustified manner. Personally, I have no issue acknowledging what occurred in the past. However I feel no obligation to apologize for those sins, as I bear no responsibility for them. White people seem to be the target of severe generalization when it comes to having the racist label applied. Consequently we have been placed on a constant defensive based on an assumption of guilt. Yep, there's a problem there....

Nobody, and that means nobody, should be judged to be guilty of anything based on the color of skin they were born with. Most everybody acknowledges this fact yet the accusations continue in a very general manner. Hmmmm.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
It means there is no longer an excuse for blacks to not succeed.

That was a sign from God himself.

If you need more evidence, 50% of African immigrants in America have a college degree

That victimization game won’t get you anywhere in life.
No. It doesn't tell me any of that. And it's weird that it tells you that.

Let's see if we cannot get even more black people into positions of power in this country and then we can talk. Yes, Obama's presidency was proof that a black person CAN be president (well, a half-black person... remember, he is biracial). It is not proof that another black person will EVER be president. We have had plenty of white ones. Even INEPT white ones.

So, we are not there yet.

Sometimes, I wish he'd not even been elected. I like him, don't get me wrong. But, I have seen so many people make crazy comments about how this is post-racial America because he was president. Come on. It isn't.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Racial inequality and racism are to disparate things.
Regardless, black culture was better off in the 1950's even though overt racism existed. They of course never experienced the dehumanizing life of their slave ancestors, but still had a strong and positive assimilation into American culture. They had intact families, making their kids get an education, going to church, good work ethic, etc.
It wasn't until LBJ infamously said "he would give the uppity negros a little something, not enough to make a difference. Then he'd have those n iggers voting Democrat for the next 200 years".
Sure enough, despite his racist thoughts and comments, he accomplished his goal with all sorts of handouts and programs designed to say blacks were incapable of fending for and taking care of themselves, without white peoples help.

So as someone else said, the Democrats will not let racial strife and grievances go, because they manage to put together coalitions of voters based on victim-hood, identity politics and stirring racial animus.

`
You don’t know a damn thing about black culture. Gimme a break.

In the 1950’s, African Americans were NOT assimilated into the American culture by any stretch of the imagination. You’re just pining for ‘the good old days’ when blacks supposedly knew their place.

And I like how you realized your dream of saying the n-word....in a thread.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
IMO it is because it does not impact them the same way it does other people and so they have no understanding of how it has historically affected black Americans and has a continuous legacy that many whites would rather ignore.

I'll note, that IMO racism has historically had a negative impact as well on white Americans IMO in regards to them having to wrestle with the facts of the terror and outrageous immorality that white Americans in the past exerted over the black population in particular. It is something that IMO is difficult to reconcile for many white people who personally just cannot understand the past in this regard and come to grips with what many of their ancestors both actively participated in and a majority of whom ignored for their own benefit.

I was recently discussing the new museum for lynching victims in the USA that was opened and there are a lot of pictures of white people, even those who brought their children, grinning and happy about killing and mutilating black people. Pointing, smiling, taking pieces of black people's bodies as trophies, etc. I wonder what their descendants think when they see the picture of their relative in these photos, many of which were sent out as post cards. I personally think it is easier for me, as a black American, to find meaning and take comfort in the struggles and triumphs of my ancestors and my demographic than it would be to wrestle with the atrocities committed against other people. Even though I personally do understand that we in the present are not responsible for the actions and inactions of our ancestors, it is still something that would be difficult to grapple with and make sense of IMO. So I do believe that this difficulty is the reason why people often just ignore it and don't want to talk about racism and its evolution. They'd rather ignore it and not speak of it so they don't have to feel bad.
Those lynching photos are chilling. Rather like photos of big game hunters, posing with their kills.

It's sick.

You know, you reminded me of another segment of the population that is problematic and it's the black people who don't have any problems with the status quo who try to discredit the black people who DO still feel the effects of systemic racism.

I mean, I am all about individuals having their own opinions, but we cannot generalize. One person's experience is not another person's reality.

Same applies to white people, Asian people, etc.

One white person may have had it made on easy street. Another may have really struggled. One may be offended by certain images and stereotypes. The other may not mind at all.

But, we cannot take one person from one ethnicity/race and use their opinion to shore up our own, because it fits our narrative. We have to be open to the idea that the community is full of individuals.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
MMMM. Well, there's no denying the facts of the past. But it's interesting to me that you seem unwilling to move on from the past and apply those standards today. I don't believe that any history should be forgotten or (especially) white washed or revised into something it was not but neither should it be carried into the future like some sort of battle standard when the battles that are being represented have been joined. It's past time to finish cleaning up the carnage from the past and moving forward as one people.

Yes, there are still racist elements in our society but as I see it "equality" has come to represent returning the sins of the past and taking revenge for injustices that were not even suffered by those exacting it. The "race card" is often played as a tool to twist something innocuous into a major issue for the purpose of personal enrichment or some other ulterior motive and I believe that's what we're discussing here. It's not that it can't (or shouldn't ) be put into play it's the circumstances under which it is slid off the deck. We see it tabled far to often in situations it has no relevance to.

Black people are hardly the only ones who do this in fairness as we see the victim status applied to all manner of things in a completely unfair and unjustified manner. Personally, I have no issue acknowledging what occurred in the past. However I feel no obligation to apologize for those sins, as I bear no responsibility for them. White people seem to be the target of severe generalization when it comes to having the racist label applied. Consequently we have been placed on a constant defensive based on an assumption of guilt. Yep, there's a problem there....

Nobody, and that means nobody, should be judged to be guilty of anything based on the color of skin they were born with. Most everybody acknowledges this fact yet the accusations continue in a very general manner. Hmmmm.
African Americans are under no obligation to forget our past or the nation’s past. It ain’t gonna happen. Forget it. If that makes you feel some kind of negative way, so be it. You can holler about “race cards” all you want, but don’t deal me cards from a racist deck if you don’t want a race card.

If you’re not doing anything racist, then you won’t have any problems. A hit dog will holler. If you’re not getting hit, quit yelping.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

How am I unwilling to move on from the past..... What standards am I applying to the present? Maybe you are speaking on me using the phrase "white supremacy ideology." White supremacy ideology actually is still a part of our country's present. The idea that black people are a problem to be solved is at the root of investing in a white supremacy ideology. I also believe that black people buy into this ideology and many of them/us view ourselves as inferior to white people based upon the cultural persistence of this ideology in our country. It is reality and not something that was left in the past. I'd think, if you are a thinking person (and I think most people are thinking people if they want to be) that there are still a lot of pervasive, negative views of the entire black demographic that are based upon racial biases. Those negative views are examples of white supremacy ideology in our society still being adhered to. The idea that black people are bad parents, are criminals, are intellectually deficient, are lazy workers,etc. These are all things that whites in the 1700s, 1800s and the 1900s thought about black people. They are not true as a whole for the demographic - they were/are made up things that whites used to reason their oppression of blacks (they created stereotypes). Today in the 2000s these things (stereotypes) are used as reasons to hold onto biased views of blacks in this country and around the world - the continuance of white supremacy ideology.

I've shared on this forum before that IMO the main "problem" in black America is a continued investment of many blacks in this country into the idea that white people are better than them. They adhere to a white supremacy ideology. Once they realize they are not inferior to whites, and they have opportunities to advance their personal lives and the lives of their families, then they will do so. That ideology holds them back and for me, them - the black people, are more important in these sorts of conversation than whites or what they think of us. I honestly expect most white people to have some sort of negative (inferior) views of black people because that is an historic cultural tenet of white America. However, I expect black people to move beyond it. People invested in their own inferiority, usually do not better themselves and are content with fulfilling said inferiority and blaming others for the lots in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies