Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:12 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, and this year alone there have been at least one a week (using the criteria of anyone getting shot in a school, be it revenge against one person, gang violence, or mass shooting).
Oh, there will be MANY MANY more of these shootings in the near future...you can count on that!

It wont stop until our tyrannical Govt gets what it wants (the public calling to disarm itself). They have learned its more effective to sway public opinion using incidents like this instead of just imposing tough new laws and risk the public revolting.

Ive said before, if England had used this same tactic and had enough time to implement it, there never would have been an american revolution, they would have just slowly conditioned everyone that living under a monarchy was in their best interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 09:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, it is. I have a son with ADHD, and while it's not the same thing as what you face as a mother, I identify strongly with the common criticism parents with kids who are outside the norm receive. I just try to shut it all out because listening to people who have strong opinions but no freakin' clue distracts me from doing what I know is right for him and our family. You know best. Don't let the peanut gallery convince you otherwise.
<3 Thanks!

My son also has ADHD (the one who has autism). It can be challenging but as I'm sure you know their diagnoses are only a part of who they are as people.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:42 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
I think American police should enforce a kind of publication ban on these idiots and their "manifesto" non-sense. This glorification of mass murder is what's helping to feed the next generation of "messed up kids with access to firearms".

Old 05-22-2018, 07:54 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The 1984 California incident killed 2 elementary age students and wounded several others. The shooter positioned himself in his bay window in his apartment across the street from the school and began shooting once kids began exiting the school at the end of the school day. Shooter then killed himself. The shooter had a history of PCP drug use.

There was also a mass shooting at a Mc Donald’s in San Diego that year. 20 were killed. The shooter was in his 40’s. Snipers took him out.

34 years ago there was no internet/ social media. Most people did not have cable TV. CNN, 24/7, was in its infancy. Fox News and MSNBC did not exist.

These events were treated primarily as a local news event with, as you say, a blurb on national news.
Back in the early 90's there was a bank robbery in LA where 2 robbers had full auto AK-47's with drum magazines. Actual assault rifles that both the rifle and magazines were banned at the time but they still had them. Anyway the robbery was straight out of a movie but it was just local news. I think I saw footage on A current affair or one of those shows months later.

So the incident wasnt glorified and the perps obtained illegal weapons.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Back in the early 90's there was a bank robbery in LA where 2 robbers had full auto AK-47's with drum magazines. Actual assault rifles that both the rifle and magazines were banned at the time but they still had them. Anyway the robbery was straight out of a movie but it was just local news. I think I saw footage on A current affair or one of those shows months later.

I was living in New York at the time and saw that scene multiple times on both local and national news broadcasts.

Something that shocks even New Yorkers is not going to go unnoticed.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Why would robbers with AK47s be so shocking to anyone?

They are the most mass produced, most copied and most widely circulated assault weapon ON THE ENTIRE PLANET. its not exactly shocking to see them being used in crimes imo.

Think of it like this, heroin has always been highly illegal to possess, sell or distribute, but at the same time, numerous cities and states have heroin epidemics....see my point?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why would robbers with AK47s be so shocking to anyone?

They are the most mass produced, most copied and most widely circulated assault weapon ON THE ENTIRE PLANET. its not exactly shocking to see them being used in crimes imo.

Think of it like this, heroin has always been highly illegal to possess, sell or distribute, but at the same time, numerous cities and states have heroin epidemics....see my point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGVsNsFimZM

Really? Not shocking in a broad daylight shootout?

full auto AK's are not easily available. You need a Class 3 and about $25k to obtain one.

The media wasn't what it was then as it is today. The names of the robbers or anything about them was never talked about.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:

full auto AK's are not easily available. You need a Class 3 and about $25k to obtain one.
You did see where I wrote the AK47 is the most mass produced , most copied, most widely circulated assault weapon on the planet...right?

Old 05-22-2018, 03:29 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:

The media wasn't what it was then as it is today. The names of the robbers or anything about them was never talked about.
To obtain one legally. I'm probably correct in assuming there are very many for every legal one out there. Everyone "knows a guy".

Old 05-22-2018, 05:12 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That's simply not true.

Look at the coverage of Bonnie and Clyde and Charles Whitman.

Big news was always big news.

Its troubling how many Americans want the media to actively exclude important information from their stories. I've seen a few friends call for the same thing on social media over the weekend. I don't know if those who support such measures understand the implications of such measures.
Except I’m not calling for a blackout. I just don’t want the wall to wall coverage for weeks on end that exacerbate the problem. I would appreciate it if they didn’t really mention the name of the kid and just referred to him as the shooter, but I know that’s impossible. Right now the next kid is thinking about this and looking up all the shootings and plotting on how he can get famous. And half the country is demanding the impossible, and no one seems to be demanding the possible (added security).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies