Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:11 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,590,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yet I've been told I'm a helicopter parent for not allowing my son with autism to walk to school by himself because I don't trust he'd get there. Even though his chronological age says he is old enough.

Yet I've been told I'm coddling my son because he gets emotional and behavioral therapy.

Yet I've been told I'm looking for the easy way out because we finally made the decision to medicate him.

Yet I've been told I am selfish because my son has a TSS worker in the classroom.

Yet I've been told my son shouldn't be around "normal" kids because of his diagnoses. Even though he's never ever hurt or has been mean to another student.

I've never tiptoed around his mental health. I've taken numerous measures to help him. And every parent I know who has a child with autism and other mental health/learning issues has done the same.
Only YOU should decide what your child should, or should not do, especially with learning issues. I would certainly err on the side of caution, and I come from the era where kids had great freedom to be on their own with NO parental supervision, well before cell phones were even a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 07:14 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Yet I've been told I'm a helicopter parent for not allowing my son with autism to walk to school by himself because I don't trust he'd get there. Even though his chronological age says he is old enough.

Yet I've been told I'm coddling my son because he gets emotional and behavioral therapy.

Yet I've been told I'm looking for the easy way out because we finally made the decision to medicate him.

Yet I've been told I am selfish because my son has a TSS worker in the classroom.

Yet I've been told my son shouldn't be around "normal" kids because of his diagnoses. Even though he's never ever hurt or has been mean to another student.

I've never tiptoed around his mental health. I've taken numerous measures to help him. And every parent I know who has a child with autism and other mental health/learning issues has done the same.
Thank you for being so open about the mixed messages parents receive about how to raise children, especially those with autism. It's not an easy path.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Only YOU should decide what your child should, or should not do, especially with learning issues. I would certainly err on the side of caution, and I come from the era where kids had great freedom to be on their own with NO parental supervision, well before cell phones were even a thought.
My older son, who is NT (neurotypical), has enjoyed the freedom I think kids should have if they are emotionally and mentally capable of it.

It would be much easier for me if my younger son was NT and could enjoy those same freedoms. We're getting there. But its a long road.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Thank you for being so open about the mixed messages parents receive about how to raise children, especially those with autism. It's not an easy path.

I appreciate that. Its a really hard balance to strike when you want to protect them but also foster independence.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
But they don’t have to. They certainly didn’t used to do that. Someone posted a link the other day listing mass shootings at schools, and there was one in 1984 in California where 21 people were killed. If I heard about it at all, it was forgotten quickly because it was probably just a blurb on the evening news nationally. And the next one didn’t happen until several years later. That is not happening today.
The 1984 California incident killed 2 elementary age students and wounded several others. The shooter positioned himself in his bay window in his apartment across the street from the school and began shooting once kids began exiting the school at the end of the school day. Shooter then killed himself. The shooter had a history of PCP drug use.

There was also a mass shooting at a Mc Donald’s in San Diego that year. 20 were killed. The shooter was in his 40’s. Snipers took him out.

34 years ago there was no internet/ social media. Most people did not have cable TV. CNN, 24/7, was in its infancy. Fox News and MSNBC did not exist.

These events were treated primarily as a local news event with, as you say, a blurb on national news.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:22 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:

I appreciate that. Its a really hard balance to strike when you want to protect them but also foster independence.
Yes, it is. I have a son with ADHD, and while it's not the same thing as what you face as a mother, I identify strongly with the common criticism parents with kids who are outside the norm receive. I just try to shut it all out because listening to people who have strong opinions but no freakin' clue distracts me from doing what I know is right for him and our family. You know best. Don't let the peanut gallery convince you otherwise.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:33 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Adam Lanza (Sandy Hook) did.
Thank you.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It is a very good article. I only posted a few paragraphs. I think this explains what’s happening very well.

This is easy.

They're armed and your kid isn't. You were told and mandated to raise prey for the predators.

My kid was armed at school from the age of 16,(Sophomore) with her own .38 special.

No one had to know and now in college, she has not called me to let me know, someone knows.
You raise your kids and I will raise mine!
At least I taught mine to have a chance.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:37 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, it is. I have a son with ADHD, and while it's not the same thing as what you face as a mother, I identify strongly with the common criticism parents with kids who are outside the norm receive. I just try to shut it all out because listening to people who have strong opinions but no freakin' clue distracts me from doing what I know is right for him and our family. You know best. Don't let the peanut gallery convince you otherwise.
Yup -- we all have to be careful. We think we know everything and we don't.

I was blessed with kids that don't have challenges but spent some 20 plus years helping out in schools at all levels and folks have no idea what challenges there are.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The 1984 California incident killed 2 elementary age students and wounded several others. The shooter positioned himself in his bay window in his apartment across the street from the school and began shooting once kids began exiting the school at the end of the school day. Shooter then killed himself. The shooter had a history of PCP drug use.

There was also a mass shooting at a Mc Donald’s in San Diego that year. 20 were killed. The shooter was in his 40’s. Snipers took him out.

34 years ago there was no internet/ social media. Most people did not have cable TV. CNN, 24/7, was in its infancy. Fox News and MSNBC did not exist.

These events were treated primarily as a local news event with, as you say, a blurb on national news.
The prevalence of social media and mass media, and further degeneration of family structure/values are the main causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies