Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 07:59 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'll buy that. Growing up Catholic, I was never taught to take everything in the Bible literally but I was taught to respect other people regardless of who they are, color of their skin and their personal religious beliefs, but that's just me and what I got out of growing up and going to Catholic school.

Certainly different than my experience growing up Catholic. I didn't go to catholic School but in Sunday school, we were told if we even dared set foot in a different church we'd be condemned to hell.

Nothing else could have been more effective in driving me from organized religion than the Catholic Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This isn't about me nor my views. My comments were about the Pope deviating from the Bible's teachings in regards to gays. As I said, I have no problem with the gay community so what do you mean by me cherry picking? The topic is about the Pope, not me.

I'd say it's most definitely cherry picking when people take exception to the Pope deviating from the Bible about things like sexuality while taking no exception to other 'teachings' like the prohibition of cloth made from different fibers. Either the book's to be taken literally in every instance or every so-called teaching is open to interpretation.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
My uncle who, in my opinion was a great man, told me as he was dying, “I’m pretty damned sure I’m goin to hell but, I know I will be seeing you again. I’ll try to save you a space next to me”. Not sure if he thought I was heading there for being gay or, for just my general evil deeds but I remember thinking, “if god would send him there, I would be honored to follow him”. I know many people believe the Bible is god’s word. Glad I’ve never been one of them. Live by the golden rule and enjoy life, it’s way to short to be worrying about eternal damnation.

Blessed are the pure in heart:for they shall see God. _____ Matthew 5:8

No equivocation, no hoops to jump through, a very simple statement.

I like it!

Old 05-25-2018, 03:19 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Francis is the Obama of popes.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Jesus told us to love our neighbor. He did not add the qualifier, "only if they are straight, white, and just like you." Funny how the far-right can't seem to figure that part out. They cling to their randomly selected Old Testament laws - picking in choosing which ones to follow in a troubling game of "bible buffet." They take the time to condemn gays "cuz the bible says so!" before they go out for the lobster special, wearing mixed fabrics, after working on the Sabbath. It's all nonsense with them as they confuse their personal preferences with absolute morality.

If God exists and does have anything to do with creating people or loving them, than, yes, He would love a person just as much if they are gay as if they are straight. Anything less would be petty and insane since God created the man and thus is responsible for him being gay if that is a "sin." I'd like to think that the all-powerful creator of everything is not petty and insane, so we'll go with what Pope Francis said on the matter.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:31 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd say it's most definitely cherry picking when people take exception to the Pope deviating from the Bible about things like sexuality while taking no exception to other 'teachings' like the prohibition of cloth made from different fibers. Either the book's to be taken literally in every instance or every so-called teaching is open to interpretation.
The beautiful part about "buffet Christians" is the double-standard. When you call them out on the absurdity of things like hating gays "cuz the Bible says so!" they reply that the ENTIRE book is the absolute word of God.

OK, we'll ignore all the contradictions in the bible, the historically documented extensive editing by humanity for political reasons, and the simple fact that I can go to any Christian book store and pick from a half-dozen different "absolute words of God," but riddle me this: if the ENTIRE book is 100% true, than why aren't they following ALL the old laws, from shellfish bans to prohibitions on mixed fabrics?

The excuses that follow are hilarious. My favorite was that "Well, Jesus did away with the old covenant, so those laws don't count." Uh, huh... and the condemnation of gays was part of that covenant that was done away with, so who are these "Christians" who think they know better than Jesus regarding which old laws should still stick around?

Old 05-25-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Francis is the Obama of popes.

Nice that you consider Obama an enlightened human being, the church was long overdue for such a leader.

I think it's gonna take a few more like him for the church to lose the stigma of having protected predator priests though.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:19 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Pope to gay man: "God made you like this and loves you"
This means an awful lot to a great many gay Catholics. It has taken a long time to go from burning gay people at the stake to accepting what cannot be changed. But we are there, evidently.

Next big step will be allowing priests to marry and have children.
Will that ever happen?

Old 05-25-2018, 04:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Well...God does love him.

I'm sure the pope also reinforced the expectation that he remain celibate until marriage--as (Catholic) heteros are expected to do.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:35 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Jesus, Moses and an old gentleman go golfing to a par 3 course.

Jesus tees off and shanks the ball into the water hazard. So of course he walks across the top of the pond and chips onto the green and sinks the putt for par.

Moses then tees off and the same thing. So he does what Moses does...he parts the pond like the Red Sea, walks in, chips on the green and putts for par.

Then it’s the old gents turn. He tees off right towards the water. A fish jumps out and catches the ball in his mouth, a bird swoops down and grabs the fish and flies off. A lightning bolt from nowhere hits the bird, he drops the fish on the green, the ball pops out for a hole in one.

Jesus turns to the old man and says “Dad, stop screwing around. This is golf”

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies