Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:15 AM

16,818 posts, read 8,803,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
While the behavior is despicable, what makes your think affirmative action and college quotas had anything to do with this doctor's academic records? Just because a person is black and has a career doesn't mean they got it through affirmative action.
Maybe you are devoid of history, or at least how it applies to the affirmation action case of Allan Bakke. He didn't get into medical school despite having better scores. That alone would be note worthy, as it was based on race based admission of less qualified people. I mean, why would you need to be the best and brightest to become a doctor, right?

What is worse, is that the black student who did get admitted instead of Bakke, and who was championed by liberals like Ted Kennedy as an example of how affirmative action did work, had his licence to practice medicine revoked just a few years later. This after he was cited for gross negligence, incompetence, and repeated negligent acts.
As a bonus of this great example of how affirmative action worked, he botched the delivery of a baby and was put on medical probation.
Guess what he did?
He sued based on "racial discrimination" and was awarded $1 million dollars by some bon bon eating soap opera watching dimwits. That is until a judge threw out the verdict, because the guy was incompetent.
But how do we know this?
Well he was sued several dozen times by various patients.
Oh, I left out a small detail.
He caused the death of one of his patients, among the many who were physically harmed by him.

Bakke on the other hand was admitted to another medical school and went on to be an MD at the famed Mayo Clinic. He unlike the guy who was admitted based on race, never had any medical malpractice claims against him.

The point being that while not all blacks or other minorities are incompetent, many get admission into schools based not on qualification, knowledge, etc., and instead are admitted, hired, promoted, because of their race.
Thus many qualified minorities despise affirmative action also, because it is assumed they got where they are because liberals created a racial discriminatory system that allows inferior applicants to be taken over more qualified and higher scoring non minorities.

`

Old 05-23-2018, 12:22 AM

73,192 posts, read 63,046,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Especially since she not only got through medical school, she was also accepted into a dermatology program. When my brother-in-law was considering dermatology after med school it was highly competitive and they only had nine spots available. Most if not all states usually only have one school for specialty fields. He ended up applying to a different field.
And if she made it that far, we could conclude that lack of competence is the least of the problem. While said doctor might be incompetent, I'm leaning towards said doctor just being reckless and an a-hole.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:38 AM

73,192 posts, read 63,046,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
We've been given no factual information that her education and actions had anything to do with affirmative action. Zero! The only thing I do know, by researching her background, is that she is performing certain surgeries that I personally would never go to her for. And that seems to be on the state of Georgia. There are plenty of places that allow doctors to perform plastic surgery though that is not their specialty. Her own clinic page would have given me red flags immediately.
That is the whole point. The OP is just jumping to conclusions. This is suppose to be about medical malpractice. However, I think the OP wanted to make this about race, hence, bringing up affirmative action.

I live in Georgia. I don't know anything about how cosmetic surgery works here. However, I do know that in Georgia, certain hospitals are better than others. Emory is the top of the line in terms of hospitals in Georgia.

I never thought to look at her clinic page. However, if I had to find a good doctor, I would be looking up clinic pages.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:42 AM

14,781 posts, read 14,777,868 times
What does skin color have to do with it? Oh right, that's how racists think. I've worked alongside just as many incompetent white docs as black docs. There's a few brown or yellow ones I wouldn't want touching a family member either.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:02 AM

1,663 posts, read 888,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Where are these statistics located at? I’m honestly intrigued, I never post statistics without something to back it up with. This is how fake news spread
Take a look at post #27. And these.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:36 AM

19,383 posts, read 6,553,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Where are these statistics located at? I’m honestly intrigued, I never post statistics without something to back it up with. This is how fake news spread
It is a matter of simple math to realize if higher "white" med school admission standards are applied to black applicants, most of them would not have made the cut.

According to the Association of American Medical Colleges, white students with a 3.5 GPA and a 30 on their MCATs have about a 50-50 chance (55%) of getting into any medical school, anywhere in this country, whereas a black student with those scores has a better than 9 in 10 chance (91%). One can argue whether this favored treatment is justified or not, but it's a simple fact that it is substantially easier to get into med school if one is black.

As I said earlier, the people who are penalized the most are the black students who would have qualified under white standards, but due to affirmative action, they are suspected of being "lesser" doctors who benefited from AA policies. (Also penalized, of course, are the white students who lost a spot due to the higher standards applied to them.)

(But to the initial point of the thread.....there is no way to connect the application of different medical school standards to that specific doctor in the video. That is a bit of a jump.)

How Hard Is It to Get into Medical School? Depends on Your Ethnicity

Old 05-23-2018, 04:40 AM

19,383 posts, read 6,553,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Take a look at post #27. And these.

DozerBear,

I just posted below you, at about the same time, with stats that show the same thing. There is no question that it is substantially easier to get into med school if one is black (or Latino), and this hurts both the minority students who would have qualified under "white" standards as well as the white students who were robbed of their dreams to become doctors.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:15 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,522,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
DozerBear,

I just posted below you, at about the same time, with stats that show the same thing. There is no question that it is substantially easier to get into med school if one is black (or Latino), and this hurts both the minority students who would have qualified under "white" standards as well as the white students who were robbed of their dreams to become doctors.
How about the white kids that get in do to wealth or influence? Why no carping about that?

Old 05-23-2018, 05:30 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,417,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The point stands...and your silly opinion avoids the point that you cannot show that every instance of misconduct/malpractice was committed by an affirmative action/quota recipient. You haven’t shown it here so you haven’t pointed out anything. Nothing but a bunch of squawking...
It doesn't stand. Your point lacks logic and would never be a serious defense should this ever be litigated.

The demand that one shows that " every instance of misconduct/malpractice was committed by an affirmative action/quota recipient" isn't a mandate that anyone would need to follow.

Because misconduct and malpractice is a statistical occurrence. It will never be relegated only to one group, any more than violent crime is relegated to one group. However, that's not what matters is it? What maters is the rate of occurrence.

They would only have to show that the rate is higher in the affirmative action group. Given that the barrier to entry for them is lower, the rate will be higher. As competence, as tested, goes down, mistakes go up.

Quote:
You haven’t shown it here so you haven’t pointed out anything.
Again, this is your goalpost based on your nonsense mandate. Because it is based on a nonsense mandate, meeting it isn't a requirement for the debate to move forward.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:36 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,959,416 times
Her behavior and professionalism are embarrassing, and given her string of other lawsuits (many serious- death/life-threatening), hopefully her license will be revoked.

But I think it’s unfair to link this to affirmative action. She graduated from medical school, and is board-certified in dermatology, so she’s demonstrated the same competency as everyone else. Her behavior/actions are border-line personality disorder to act like that during surgery. Her actions scream more to unprofessionalism as opposed to someome incompetent who benefited from affirmative action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.