Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 10:38 PM

73,125 posts, read 62,950,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
It doesn't show that. Its called a "rhetorical question". Its a common debate device.

The fact that you resort to calling me a coward, in lieu of a response, shows me that you are both highly agitated and lacking a response. Its also rude as heck.

You said:

To which I responded:

Well, I don't do "rhetorical questions". I ask questions for a reason. I demand answers. I expect an answer, not another question. I can't think of any reason of answering a question with a question other than to evade answering it. And the question wasn't even directed at you. I didn't call you a coward. I said the way you responded is a cowardly way of responding. There is a difference between describing one's actions as cowardly and calling another person a coward.

Quote:
Your question was a race baiting non-argument that was meant to "win" the argument by implying "racist", in defense of race-based policies that give one race a quantitative advantage in the performance standards that they need to meet.
Well, whenever someone says things like "Isn’t this the diversity and multiculturalism that democrats are so hungry for and keep pressuring us to enthusiastically embrace?", that sounds more like race baiting. I wasn't even talking about race-based policies. I can't think of any other reason someone would make such a statement other than said person resenting the presence of people of a certain race/ethnicity. I saw nothing in that post mentioning policies.

Quote:
My response was to point out that those policies reduce competence at the cost of your inclusion.

Its my prerogative, if not duty, to avoid your cheap race-baiting question that is not so much of a question but an accusation. Right?
I wasn't even talking about race-based policies. I was talking about people resenting other people because they are of a difference race/ethnicity. I wasn't even talking about affirmative action. When said person made that comment, this is what I gather. I figured said person was saying "she must be an AA candidate", or "this is why we want freedom to refuse whomever we want". I wasn't talking about competence or affirmative action.

Quote:
Your willingness to defend your absolutely silly and dishonest "question" shows a lack of self awareness. You can get away with, to a degree, posting it once but agitating to have it "answered" shows that you are delusional about how it is perceived and perhaps in regard to your own intent when posting it.
My question is silly and dishonest? Maybe to you. To me, I have reasons for asking such questions. I am very self-aware. I know that I belong to an ethnicity that has always been looked down on. It is very bothersome to be looked down on. I know that I'm in the minority in America and as much as I don't want to care what anyone thinks of me, sometimes I have to care. If I come off as delusional to you, whatever. Maybe I would not be so agitated if people didn't make snide remarks. Maybe I wouldn't be agitated if I didn't have think about how someone might perceive me as a Black man. Truth is, if someone ever met me in public, they would never know because I typically don't discuss stuff like this in public.

You haven't seen me defend affirmative action one time. I was calling out other people who say things like "this is what you get with an affirmative action candidate". We don't know that doctor got in due to affirmative action. We know nothing about her. All we know is that she did stupid things. When I see a doctor do stupid stuff like that, I don't think "he or she must have been an affirmative action candidate". I think "You idiot, you need your medical license revoked". The only reason I'm thinking about affirmative action is because someone else is pointing it out or because I have to think about other people talking about it. Otherwise, it's the last thing on my mind.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,903,793 times
Very common for doctors to play music in the OR and/ or during other procedures when the patient is sedated. The choice and volume of music is highly variable.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:49 PM

24,886 posts, read 9,641,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Take a look at post #27. And these.

This is very sad but not surprising.

Statistics have shown that blacks do far better at local and top state colleges instead of using affirmative action to go to Ivy Leagues or prestigious universities where they are in a classroom full of students who are better prepared for the rigorous coursework and lectures.

Many blacks at prestigious universities from affirmative action end of changing majors, transferring, or dropping out altogether.

Affirmative action means well, but in practice it's a disaster that puts minority children in schools they are not prepared for when a local school was just fine.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Very common for doctors to play music in the OR and/ or during other procedures when the patient is sedated. The choice and volume of music is highly variable.
As long as the music isn't vulgar and as long as the doctor can do said job right, let the music play. But what that doctor did, I shudder.

On the other hand, the music is the least of her problems. https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...cars/755285435

A woman was disfigured by that doctor.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 PM

482 posts, read 243,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Not sure what this has to do with college quotas. I don't see any rural Republicans trying to get into college, they call college elitist.
You need to understand that the liberal base is in places like Detroit, New Orleans, and Baltimore. These are places that are loaded to the gills with VERY dumb people. Once again, that is your base. Liberals burn their own cities down because they're not smart.

You support that......... LOL

Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
You need to understand that the liberal base is in places like Detroit, New Orleans, and Baltimore. These are places that are loaded to the gills with VERY dumb people. Once again, that is your base. Liberals burn their own cities down because they're not smart.

You support that......... LOL
Then explain Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis, these are liberal cities. These are also very educated cities known for tech industries and high concentrations of Fortune 500 companies.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:48 PM

225 posts, read 150,813 times
I am a German paramedic. I can come up with several instances I've witnessed where native German physicians in their mid-fifties pulled stuff at least as bad, although perhaps not as "black", on patients who were under anesthesia.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:16 AM

37,284 posts, read 41,523,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is the whole point. The OP is just jumping to conclusions. This is suppose to be about medical malpractice. However, I think the OP wanted to make this about race, hence, bringing up affirmative action.

I live in Georgia. I don't know anything about how cosmetic surgery works here. However, I do know that in Georgia, certain hospitals are better than others. Emory is the top of the line in terms of hospitals in Georgia.

I never thought to look at her clinic page. However, if I had to find a good doctor, I would be looking up clinic pages.
From her website:

"Dr. Boutté was a Summa c u m Laude honors graduate of Xavier University in New Orleans, Louisiana, majoring in BIOLOGY, and minoring in both ART and ENGLISH. She received her medical doctorate degree from UCLA School of Medicine in Los Angeles, California. She completed her residency at Emory University School of Medicine, becoming board certified in SKIN SURGERY and DERMATOLOGY."

She appears to be well trained in dermatology but trying to do procedures for which she was not trained. Dermatology is a hard residency to get into.

The language in her website, with a lot of CAPITAL LETTERS*, is not very professional, either. The boasting is over the top.

Bottom line: she is a narcissist who is not qualified to do what she is doing. She should lose her license and not be allowed to practice anywhere.

The video bit is just totally unprofessional.

*The rules for capitalization on that site escape me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post

An open secret is that medical school is largely trivial to pass, as are most health care programs.
Sure, a lot of work. But it doesn't take a lot of brains, relatively speaking. What its about is memorization, and detailed notes for all classes are widely available.

The hardest part of medical school is attaining the grades to gain entry. This is also true of Ivy education.
Memorization does not produce clinical judgment. That comes from taking care of patients, a lot of patients.

That produces doctors like my father's internist who got an EKG when my dad said his indigestion was acting up. My dad was in the cath lab lickety-split and had bypass surgery that prevented his death from an impending massive heart attack.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:27 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,047,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Why would one person acting one way make you assume all people that look like that person would act the same way?

Who the hell thinks like this?

If you meet an angry pilot of a phantom, would you assume all pilots of phantoms are angry?

You mean like why do so many lump all white folks into the same crowd as the Brittle Brothers; Dylan Roof, and the inbred Jeds of Dixie or all men into the Weinstein club?.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:32 AM

1,704 posts, read 753,202 times
Fake News!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.