Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,587,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Making sure he and his cronies have viable employment later on down the line, I guess?

LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
The idea of going to jail is that you are serving time to pay for your crimes, I don't see why trying to help get people back to a normal every day life is a bad thing. It may not be easy or even possible for many, but I'm sure it would go a long way in reducing any repeat offenses for these folks.
I agree 100%. Most non violent felons deserve a second chance. These folks do GET OUT and live amongst us. I'd rather they be gainfully employed if at all possible.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:47 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,740,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Never mind convicts, many employers ask you if you've ever been ARRESTED. Personally I fell this should 100% be made illegal as grounds for not hiring someone.

The law here is, mandatory background checks, for any employees that work in occupied homes, schools, or government buildings.
It is a feel good law that is not enforce until something bad happens and the investigation uncovers the guy was here as a tourist, working.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:18 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,818,224 times
Quote:
The idea of going to jail is that you are serving time to pay for your crimes, I don't see why trying to help get people back to a normal every day life is a bad thing. It may not be easy or even possible for many, but I'm sure it would go a long way in reducing any repeat offenses for these folks.
It is when it's exclusive

The former felons already have a lot of help especially for someone who could have prevented their problems! Do you know companies get a tax incentive for hiring them?
What about getting more done to ensure the differently abled have more job opportunities?

Old 05-23-2018, 02:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,713,793 times
Of course most reasonable people support the effort to have less of a prison state.

But, there is another part to this. Some states (you know the states...Florida, for one) don't give voting rights back automatically to ex-Felons. So along with this program we should ask that a Federal Standard be set for reinstating voting rights to those who have served their time.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,920,383 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I support it.

Some people deserve that second chance.

For example, my mom's company (family business) hired three ex felons who are my friends. They are ex military and they are very driven and disciplined. My family knew them, and I have been friends with them for over 20+ years. They don't just become bad people over night for me. I don't judge people like that.

There are MANY reasons why one committed a crime. Finding good help is a key factor in running a successful business. Too many employers get robbed daily by lazy employees who work with a sense of entitlement, watching the clock, anticipating that moment they can break free of the bonds that trap them in cubicles, offices and warehouses. Many ex felons are no stranger to hard works.

I am not saying ALL of them deserve a second chance, but many do.

My friends for example deserve that second chance and I am glad I am the one who gave them that.

All these said, it is an individual choice. If the employer wants to hire them, go for it. If they don't want to, they shouldn't be judged or blamed or criticized.

p.s. Once a criminal, always a criminal? I don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I completely agree with Trump on this one.

i also agree with this support of the bill. it only provides training for ex cons so they can gain the skills to get back in the job market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
If a company wants to hire ex-cons, then they can. If they don't, then they shouldn't be forced to.

absolutely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Is this mandatory to hire ex felons? More "big government" ?

Or voluntary - as it is right now?

you cant force any business to hire people they dont want to hire. as i noted above it is part of a reform program that will help ex cons gain the necessary job skills to get back into the job market, and hopefully stay out of prison.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:50 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,874,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
President Trump: "When we talk about our national program to hire American, this must include helping millions of former inmates get back into the workforce as gainfully employed citizens."

This is part of the prison reform bill he backed that passed the House in the last couple of days.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...e-house-603333

Trump just wants to make sure his family has jobs when they get out.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,216,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
President Trump: "When we talk about our national program to hire American, this must include helping millions of former inmates get back into the workforce as gainfully employed citizens."

This is part of the prison reform bill he backed that passed the House in the last couple of days.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...e-house-603333
Will the Bill also shield employers from civil liability if a convicted felon they hire commits criminal acts against other employees or customers?

True story:

A security company terminated the employment of a security guard, because they reasonably believed he had committed crimes on the properties he had been assigned security duties. Those crimes were mostly thefts that took place at a large apartment complex where he was assigned to work.

He applied for work at another security company, who exercised due diligence in hiring him, conducting a background check and contacting his former employer for information.

The former security company refused to give any information other than dates of employment, claiming "a federal law prohibited them from releasing any other information."

Without negative information, the security company hired the guard, and assigned him to an apartment complex. Several months later, a drunk female resident returned home from a night of partying. The guard helped her to her apartment, then went to the manager's office, got a pass-key, and let himself into the drunk tenant's apartment, where he subsequently raped her.

She filed a criminal complaint, and a civil complaint naming the security company, the property management company, and the property owners as defendants seeking $Millions in real damages, plus $Millions in punitive damages.

The security company named the guard's former security company as a 3rd Party Defendant.

The former security company attempted to dismiss the claims against them, but to their horror, discovered there is no federal law that bars the release of employee information. There is a federal court ruling that plainly states an employer cannot release certain information about an employee without the employee's prior consent.

The court ruling stemmed from the fact that a man's ex-wife kept taking him to court every year to up her alimony and child-support payments whenever he got a raise, and she also took the bulk of his bonus payments. He discovered that his ex-wife's attorney would call his HR office every six months for an update on his financial status, and the HR personnel stupidly gave out information about his salary and bonuses.

He filed suit in federal court for a violation of his civil rights naming his employer, his ex-wife's attorney, and his ex-wife as defendants. The court ruled an employer cannot release information without an employee's prior consent, awarded him damages, and over-turned all of the State court rulings granting increases in alimony and child-support, and restored all of the bonuses he lost.

Anyway, the security guard was convicted of rape and imprisoned, the property owners and property management company settled out of court, and the two security companies lost the jury trial, but the jury assigned 80% of the blame to the former security company, so they had to pay the bulk of the damages.

That demonstrates what can happen if you hire a criminal, whether they have prior convictions or not.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:04 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,818,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Making sure he and his cronies have viable employment later on down the line, I guess?
This. Hey, Jared's dad teamed up with his former cell mates to go on and defraud a whole new set of people.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:15 PM

3,601 posts, read 1,801,679 times
Absolutely. They all should learn a trade while locked up, the prisons should partner with local businesses so that they have apprenticeships and/or jobs when they get out. Especially people who are in jail for first time offenses or non-violent crimes.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:16 PM

1,704 posts, read 752,016 times
Still waiting for the other shoe to drop....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies