Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:22 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If they don't get employed, they are going to end up right back in prison, the cycle will never end, and we will continue to shell out tax dollars for their upkeep.

Some will screw up again anyway, and some will have learned and go on to be better members of society. Not all who are in prison are there because they are murderers or mess with children, some of them just made the dumbest mistake ever, serve their time, and need a way to get back into life.
Correct. I heard of someone who was jailed for too many unpaid parking tickets. I don't think that's worth ruining someone's entire life over.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:23 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
If a company wants to hire ex-cons, then they can. If they don't, then they shouldn't be forced to.
this right here.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:25 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Never mind convicts, many employers ask you if you've ever been ARRESTED. Personally I fell this should 100% be made illegal as grounds for not hiring someone.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:27 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Correct. I heard of someone who was jailed for too many unpaid parking tickets. I don't think that's worth ruining someone's entire life over.
That's probably not a felony, though More likely a low level misdemeanor analogous to reckless driving (which can get you jail time in some states).

Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,492 times
At a previous church I worked at, we hired a felon to be our music director. He was one of the best employees we had. Depending on what they were charged with etc., I would do it again.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
At a previous church I worked at, we hired a felon to be our music director. He was one of the best employees we had. Depending on what they were charged with etc., I would do it again.
I'd give that an 8. Its got location and a good beat I can dance too.
Instrumental to society when the debts paid. Its paid.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:26 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
My stepfather had a business, and he actively sought out felons in order to give them a second chance in life. My mother never wanted to interrupt her shopping sprees to pick me up from school when I was little, so my stepdad often had one of them pick me up and bring me to the office where I could hang out, do my homework, etc until my he was ready to close shop for the day.

They were incredible employees, and probably the most genuinely nice and humble people I've known, other than those I've worked with among the homeless population. I learned a lot of card games from them lol.

Life has taught me not to judge others by their setbacks.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:30 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,981 times
I hired 2 ex-cons and they both worked out well.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:36 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
President Trump: "When we talk about our national program to hire American, this must include helping millions of former inmates get back into the workforce as gainfully employed citizens."

This is part of the prison reform bill he backed that passed the House in the last couple of days.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...e-house-603333
100% in support.

I'd go a step further to abolish and ban criminal background check entirely except for law enforcement purpose.

Either the convicts have paid the debt by being in prison or they haven't. If they haven't, leave them in prison, and if they have, we should not hold that over them for the rest of their life.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My stepfather had a business, and he actively sought out felons in order to give them a second chance in life. My mother never wanted to interrupt her shopping sprees to pick me up from school when I was little, so my stepdad often had one of them pick me up and bring me to the office where I could hang out, do my homework, etc until my he was ready to close shop for the day.

They were incredible employees, and probably the most genuinely nice and humble people I've known, other than those I've worked with among the homeless population. I learned a lot of card games from them lol.

Life has taught me not to judge others by their setbacks.
sweet

Love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies