Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 04:47 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
This might be more like history but it's bound to get political so I'm going to put it here.

Who in your opinion is the most overrated president and why? It could be any of the 44 (counting Cleveland once).

IMHO, Ronald Reagan. His policies led directly to the income inequality we are seeing today. He recongnized that his massive tax cuts bloated the deficit to unprecedented levels and tried to make up for it by stealing $3 TRILLION from the Social Security Trust Fund (and it was never put back). He ignored the AIDS crisis and was complicit, though not directly responsible, for the selling of arms tio Iran and the Taliban. He does get points for helping end the Cold War, but as we are beginning to see it never really ended, and Russia probably only backed down because they thought Reagan was crazy. The fact that he wanted to put giant laser beams in space to shoot down nukes means they were probably correct. He also gets way too much credit (that being any at all) for the release of the American hostages in Iran. Jimmy Carter didn't sleep for the last two days of his presidency as he was in constant contact with the Iranians to ensure the hostages' release. The only reason Reagan gets credit is because they waited until the precise moment he was president to leave Iranian air space so as to embarrass Jimmy Carter.

Told you it would get political...
Failed history call I see, IF you even took one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 04:51 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
This might be more like history but it's bound to get political so I'm going to put it here.

Who in your opinion is the most overrated president and why? It could be any of the 44 (counting Cleveland once).

IMHO, Ronald Reagan. His policies led directly to the income inequality we are seeing today. He recongnized that his massive tax cuts bloated the deficit to unprecedented levels and tried to make up for it by stealing $3 TRILLION from the Social Security Trust Fund (and it was never put back). He ignored the AIDS crisis and was complicit, though not directly responsible, for the selling of arms tio Iran and the Taliban. He does get points for helping end the Cold War, but as we are beginning to see it never really ended, and Russia probably only backed down because they thought Reagan was crazy. The fact that he wanted to put giant laser beams in space to shoot down nukes means they were probably correct. He also gets way too much credit (that being any at all) for the release of the American hostages in Iran. Jimmy Carter didn't sleep for the last two days of his presidency as he was in constant contact with the Iranians to ensure the hostages' release. The only reason Reagan gets credit is because they waited until the precise moment he was president to leave Iranian air space so as to embarrass Jimmy Carter.

Tax cuts??? TAX CUTS???? By the time that jelly bean eating, alzheimer's ridden, loser left office taxes had increased. He grew government by leaps and bounds. Carters last year tax receipts were ~520 billion, Reagans last year it was ~760 billion. How in the world do taxes increase that much when there is a cut?

FDR is easily the most over rated. Good with the people during the war, no doubt. But he presided over and extended, the worst and longest economic years America has had.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 12-01-2019 at 05:04 AM..

Old 12-01-2019, 05:03 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Tax cuts??? TAX CUTS???? By the time that jelly bean eating alzheimer's ridden loser left office taxes had increased. He grew government by leaps and bounds.

FDR is easily the most over rated. Good with the people during the war, no doubt. But he presided over and extended, the worst and longest economic years America has had.
That`s an opinion that`s far removed from actual facts.
https://www.salon.com/2009/01/02/sirota_fdr_depression/

Old 12-01-2019, 05:45 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Barack Hussein Obama

When he won the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing, we should have all known we'd be in for a ride going nowhere.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:51 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Barack Hussein Obama

When he won the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing, we should have all known we'd be in for a ride going nowhere.
Where did you want to go? When he took office the DOW was barely 8,000 and we were losing 745,000 jobs a month.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:52 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Barack Hussein Obama

True about the Nobel, but it is hard to be "overrated" when you're not even rated. Obama is a mere footnote in history as the first half Black President. Even most Democrats realize and admit that.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:02 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
1. Obama — style over substance

2. Kennedy— style over substance

Old 12-01-2019, 12:31 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Definitely Reagan.

I thought of that before I finished reading your post.

He was exceedingly popular and a disaster for the American people.

Around here we have the 'Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway' and no one ever calls it that. It makes me slightly nauseous when I think about it.
You can't be serious.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:41 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Definitely Reagan.

I thought of that before I finished reading your post.

He was exceedingly popular and a disaster for the American people.

Around here we have the 'Ronald Reagan Memorial Highway' and no one ever calls it that. It makes me slightly nauseous when I think about it.
Just curious here, what do folks call that bridge?

Old 12-01-2019, 12:45 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
I definitely agree. Plus Nancy (with the help of her astrologer) was actually president once Ronnie's dementia advanced. During the Iran Contra hearings when asked about events he kept answering that he simply couldn't remember. People thought he was lying, but he may have been telling the truth.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies