Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 04:59 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times

Advertisements

No different from other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 05:05 PM

15,542 posts, read 10,528,971 times
" War Zone: Las Vegas ignores the 87 homicides so far this year but fixated on expensive stadiums and convention centers "

Add two more, a tourist couple were found murdered at Circus Circus. Vegas has always had a seedy side, but they kept it under control for the tourist industry. Sounds like they need more cops or something.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,872,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
It’s cute how the OP ignores the even greater issue of rural poverty. Talk about 3rd world conditions

Report: Rural Poverty In America Is 'An Emergency' | KERA News

https://www.houstonherald.com/news/r...a14470ce7.html
Yes, but in much of rural America a couple working both $10 an hour part-time jobs can afford a studio apartment with 15 hours of wages between the both of them or 7 1/2 hours each.

Rural America of course has it's issues but having been in much of rural America on vacations over the years the chaos is easily avoided. No way to avoid the social ill's of a city like LA or San Francisco unless one isolates themselves to a small segment of the city.

Rural America has it's poverty issues but a manufacturing plant or call-center moving in immediately means that a single person could live a lifestyle that the similar to a $60,000-$80,000 a year job in LA, San Francisco or Manhattan.

The land areas are so small that people can bike, walk or take a motorcycle to work.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...821_rect/5_zm/

Old 06-03-2018, 05:27 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Las Vegas being more concerned about stadiums that the high crime neighborhoods, that is nothing new. It is about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$. If it doesn't make money, there are some who just won't care. If the crime seeps into the touristy areas, into areas where millions of middle/middle upper class people spend alot of money, then alarms will sound. As long as it stays in the ghetto, few people care, except for those living in the ghetto. A stadium brings in alot of paying customers. This is why Las Vegas cares more about a stadium. Same that any other city would. Some cities have certain sections of cities (where people are living) to make room for some development that would bring in people who can bring the city alot of money. Not saying that it's right. I'm saying what we're seeing in Las Vegas is nothing new and not limited to Las Vegas.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:34 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,378,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Las Vegas being more concerned about stadiums that the high crime neighborhoods, that is nothing new. It is about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$. If it doesn't make money, there are some who just won't care. If the crime seeps into the touristy areas, into areas where millions of middle/middle upper class people spend alot of money, then alarms will sound. As long as it stays in the ghetto, few people care, except for those living in the ghetto. A stadium brings in alot of paying customers. This is why Las Vegas cares more about a stadium. Same that any other city would. Some cities have certain sections of cities (where people are living) to make room for some development that would bring in people who can bring the city alot of money. Not saying that it's right. I'm saying what we're seeing in Las Vegas is nothing new and not limited to Las Vegas.
It is also not true. LV violent crime rate was down in 2017 from 2016 (That is not counting the Oct 1 shooting - which is needed to be comparable to other years) It is also way less than a decade or two ago.

It also makes no allowance for the millions of tourists who visit. We count their crimes but not their population.

Murder rates have spiked a bit again not including Oct 1. Just spikey statistics or a real problem? See in a couple of years.

But Henderson NV a city representative of our suburbs is a top ten for low crime.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:17 AM

13,233 posts, read 21,855,739 times
A bit off topic, but I'm curious what you meant by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
One pair of coyotes out there is worth twenty Vegas types, and the yotes are a lot more honest and easy to understand. More useful to.
In what way are they useful? I thought Nevada ranchers are trying to exterminate coyotes off the face of the planet.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
A bit off topic, but I'm curious what you meant by this.

In what way are they useful? I thought Nevada ranchers are trying to exterminate coyotes off the face of the planet.

Really? And where did you hear that? Problem animals are removed from ranch areas if hey get to picking off calves and they can be a nuisance to sheep operations. Eat lamb! 50 million coyotes can't be wrong. If they are picking off livestock they will be shot if caught but there are no "extermination" efforts. Not in my area anyway. Farmers love them. They control the destructive rodents like gophers and jack rabbits in the fields. A highly useful vocation for them.

We have a sort of love/hate relationships with the yotes. I've gone both ways with it myself. At any rate the poster I was responding to with that ticked me off with his pompous and insulting rhetoric lauding Vegas as the end all beat all and nasty swipes at our Northern lifestyles and my hometown. Thus I'd trade ten Vegas types for two yotes any day.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:43 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,139,953 times
Quote:
Really? And where did you hear that? Problem animals are removed from ranch areas if hey get to picking off calves and they can be a nuisance to sheep operations. Eat lamb! 50 million coyotes can't be wrong. If they are picking off livestock they will be shot if caught but there are no "extermination" efforts. Not in my area anyway. Farmers love them. They control the destructive rodents like gophers and jack rabbits in the fields. A highly useful vocation for them.

We have a sort of love/hate relationships with the yotes. I've gone both ways with it myself. At any rate the poster I was responding to with that ticked me off with his pompous and insulting rhetoric lauding Vegas as the end all beat all and nasty swipes at our Northern lifestyles and my hometown. Thus I'd trade ten Vegas types for two yotes any day.
That was just mean. I'm a Vegas local. I'm a former EMT who has saved a couple lives. My kid was born here and he's a nice young man. You are one of my favorite posters and you hurt my feelings. We aren't all scum.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 AM

13,233 posts, read 21,855,739 times
Quote:

Yes, I've been saying that for years (the bolded part).

When I lived in Kingman, I was big into off-roading and used to participate on JeepForum, a web forum for off-roading. It seemed like indiscriminate killing of coyotes in the desert was a big pastime in rural areas. People would post pictures of their jeeps with dead coyotes hanging off them. Sickening.

Utah actually pays a bounty for hunters to kill coyotes. https://wildlife.utah.gov/predator-control-program.html

So if you're telling me that Nevada farmers have realized they can have a symbiotic relationship with their coyotes, that's really good info that I hadn't known before. I just wish Utah would get on board.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That was just mean. I'm a Vegas local. I'm a former EMT who has saved a couple lives. My kid was born here and he's a nice young man. You are one of my favorite posters and you hurt my feelings. We aren't all scum.

Well, I'll concede your point. The poster I was responding to brought my hackles up calling us Northerners "irrelevant" and say how Vegas is going to steam roll us popping off like a farting steer. It was aimed directly at him and I let him get under my skin. So if I hurt you feelings in the process I apologize. But in regards to the poster it was aimed at....Nahhh...I was gonna be mean again but it ain't worth it I reckon I spun out to wide of a loop. .

It's beautiful. peaceful and inspiring living up here and when someone like who I was aiming at gets to ranting like he did it can be tough not to respond in kind. So bear with me. I'll be better from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies