Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,547 posts, read 16,528,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Seriously, other than trying to drive a racial divide, why make such an asinine claim. There are 326M people in this country, are you HONESTLY saying that the majority (50.1% or 163M) people want white supremacy? How much more ridiculous can one get?
I think the argument is that "a majority didnt have to have a slave for slavery to be legal" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 10:51 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
That is where we are headed. Most people these days want the 1950s back in their entirety and that includes superior status for whites. It's amazing the shift in the attitude of our country in just a few years.
And they are scared they will be a minority class.

Oh well. $hit happens.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/390...eople-of-color

Yeah. Why are Republicans supporting people like this? When challenged on it, once he realized how poorly some folks took it he said:

So apparently he hopes it will be OK later.
Stuff like this scares me. This is why I do not want the likes of Arthur Jones or Paul Nehlen running for office. If a lawmaker with no ties to White supremacy groups can support something like this, imagine how much more real White supremacists will try and get these things put into law. And I bring it up because of a thread I was on earlier regarding White supremacists running for public office.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What I support is allowing a business owner to deny service to anyone for any reason. That is distinctly different than supporting them. I would hope the business owner would put a giant sign in the window that says no blacks allowed so I can move on down the street to another business.

This is a different time than before the civil rights movement, don't sweep it under the rug. You are not going to change people like that and in fact may have the opposite effect. Allow people like that to expose themselves for who they are.
Look, I know so many of you on the right wish to return to the good old days, but again...IT’S AGAINST THE DAMN LAW to discriminate in business based on color.

Are we supposed to go backwards as a nation to the point that people have to check and see if they’ll be served before they go into an establishment? That’s what you right wingers really want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You forgot to say that he retracted and apologized for the remarks.

It's really not that easy or simple of a problem. Although I personally support the laws against discrimination, I also recognize that there are valid, libertarian-based arguments against them.

It sure is an easy issue to demagogue, though.

You should have specified, why are some Republicans 'supporting people like this' unless you have evidence to show that ALL Republicans support this guy (along with your imaginary crowd of 'people like this.'
Sure he retracted it...AFTER he’d already said it. Point being, why did he say it in the first place?

Oh, I know why! Because that’s what he believes. Trump is really bringing out the true nature of conservatives.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Supporting the right of a business owner to discriminate does not make you a racist either.
So I wanna go out to dinner at this restaurant I heard about.

You really think it makes sense to set up a situation where I need to call first to find out if they serve blacks or not? That’s the America you think we should have again? All because you want business owners to have the right to discriminate just to make America some sort of libertarian paradise?

That’s worth it to you, even knowing all the unrest it would cause?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If America was truly a free country a business owner would have full control of who he serves for any reason.

I’m not saying it should be that way, just saying.
Actually, you are saying that it should be that way.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So I wanna go out to dinner at this restaurant I heard about.

You really think it makes sense to set up a situation where I need to call first to find out if they serve blacks or not? That’s the America you think we should have again? All because you want business owners to have the right to discriminate just to make America some sort of libertarian paradise?

That’s worth it to you, even knowing all the unrest it would cause?

Actually, you are saying that it should be that way.
How many restaurants, given the latest Starbucks fiasco, do you think would not serve blacks? Is one too many?

Remember it took laws to enforce segregation.

I don't think there would be much unrest because few businesses would discriminate based on race.

Honestly, it is just a philosophical argument for me. There are a thousand other political issues that are higher on my list of priorities.

Last edited by whogo; 06-06-2018 at 12:02 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 11:57 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Before coming on board, you should at the very least be sober and vaguely familiar with the subject matter...

We're seeing a shift during the current administration, where more and more right-wingers are feeling free to express their discriminatory ideas and they act as though it's normal and natural to do that.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:57 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Im on the fence with this topic.
On 1 hand I absolutely believe in the right of a business to decline service. That goes with the right of a citizen not to do business with a company they dont want to.

For example I would never do business with any company owned by a race baiter like Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton. I would happily do business in a shop owned by Emit Smith, Jerry Rice, Colin Powell or even Obama. I disagreed with his politics but he was an ok person in my book.

I would never do business or stay in a hotel owned by Trump.
So if the consumer has the right to decline business for any reason what so ever, it seems fair that businesses should have the same freedom.
I would have no issue if a business declined service to pluckers or any other racist group.
Most won't, discriminate based on race or gender due to the need to stay in business and make a profit.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How many restaurants, given the latest Starbucks fiasco, do you think would not serve blacks? Is one too many?

I don't think there would be much unrest because few businesses would discriminate based on race.

Remember it took laws to enforce segregation.
I don’t know how many would discriminate if given the choice, but I don’t have as much faith in the goodwill of my fellow Americans as you do. I trust the anti discrimination laws more than I do the people. That ain’t saying much because I don’t trust the people at all...and in the era of Trump, even more so.

And yeah..one is too damn many. Everywhere you can get service, I better get the same level of service at a minimum. No exceptions.

You’re free to have your libertarian paradise, but not at a cost to my comfort and convenience.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:08 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/390...eople-of-color

Yeah. Why are Republicans supporting people like this? When challenged on it, once he realized how poorly some folks took it he said:

So apparently he hopes it will be OK later.

The politician who made that suggestion, is probably dumb enough to think that Trump's regime will last long enough, for it to become OK later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies