Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 12:04 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
& this is like the sophistical argument re: the so-called legitimacy of voluntary slave contracts i.e. apart from its involuntary nature, slavery is alright.

It's circular & nonsensical.
I could agree to become your slave but without contractual tenets in place defining the arrangement it is simply a title. I might as well agree to become your "hero"...whatever that may mean.

Slavery is a lack of consent to a labor arrangement (courtesy of Frank).

See that word "consent" in there? That means legitimate consent: two parties free from duress and with the cognitive ability to do so enter into an agreement.

And what about Miracle on 34th Street? You must have missed me asking you if you've seen it on the other page. I know you aren't avoiding me Chi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Race-based antebellum Confederate state slavery was "a lack of consent to a labor arrangement".

The Confederate States defended, & sought to preserve & expand their 'peculiar' institution.

It took nearly a century to convince business owners of the ridiculousness of their peculiar notions.
Those business owners were following the law in most if not nearly all cases. The State promoted and protected abhorrent behavior.

Why in the world are you bringing this up? Slavery sucks. The Confederacy sucked. Racism sucks.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:04 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I stand by this: Anyone who agrees with a business denying service to someone because of their race, skin color and ethnicity, said persons are not fit to hold public office.
You, me, & a lot of others have identified the fact that someone who does not understand the rights of the people he represents is not fit to hold office. Hopefully there will always be people who question bone-headedness.

Quote:
...That prompted a Facebook post from Clark, hailing the decision as a "win for freedom of speech and freedom of religion," according to the Argus Leader newspaper, which reported on the since-deleted post.

Some Facebook users began questioning Clark's post, prompting the state lawmaker to respond to one.

"It is his business," Clark wrote in a comment. "He should have the opportunity to run his business the way he wants. If he wants to turn away people of color, then [that's] his choice."

Clark deleted the post on Tuesday, saying he had "jumped in on it a little bit too fast," the Leader reported. ...
SD state lawmaker: Businesses should be allowed to 'turn away people of color' | TheHill

(From link in OP ^)

Mr. Clark apparently got a tad overly excited when he heard about the SCOTUS ruling re: the baker in Colorado & admitted he "jumped in on it a little bit too fast".

Does he represent an entire district of business owners alone? A business is property. Was he elected to represent property or people? Is he aware of the Civil Rights Acts?

It's as if a number of American people have been brainwashed into believing people are properties, & properties are people when even a child recognizes this to be nonsensical.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:35 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Chi, have you ever seen Miracle on 34th Street?
Still looking for converts? Sorry not a blockhead like Walter Block who was (his words) converted by Ayn Rand, Murray Rothbard, Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek, Milton Friedman, et al.

Good luck attempting to sell your punctured mythologies elsewhere.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:59 AM

1,683 posts, read 811,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Im not Ron Paul but if I see him on C-D I'll direct him to your comments.
Show Ron Paul THIS while you are at it...

Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times
Quote:
Still looking for converts? Sorry not a blockhead like Walter Block who was (his words) converted by Ayn Rand, Murray Rothbard, Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek, Milton Friedman, et al.

Good luck attempting to sell your punctured mythologies elsewhere.
This isn't meant to be an insult, but when I read some of your posts I always picture a dog snarling at someone trying to get them to come out of their cage.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:07 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,557,552 times
This follows the path the Republican party has recently been going down. Would not be surprised to see refusing service eventually added to their official campaign platform. They seem to think business (including government services) and personal rights are one in the same.

Last edited by MMS02760; 07-13-2018 at 09:19 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
This isn't meant to be an insult, but when I read some of your posts I always picture a dog snarling at someone trying to get them to come out of their cage.
LOL

Chi gets to pick her cage. That's freedom.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:22 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times
The following is somewhat relevant to this thread: Could someone please give me the basic gist of why so many Neo-Nazis or KKK members have Republican supporters or leanings when the KKK was developed by an earlier branch of the Democrats? Yes, I could always Google the answer to this question, but I want to hear what other people have to say before using Google on such a question.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
It took force to get rid of such actions. Sometimes, force is the only way to deal with some individuals. It took brute force to our slavery to an end in the USA.
Slavery itself was government force. 'Murica was the only nation that used force to end slavery. Let that sink in.

Quote:
It took government force to bring an end to Jim Crow.
No it didn't. Legislation ended it. We the people weren't shooting government. We the people turned back Jim Crow through the use of peaceful civil disobedience. Jim Crow itself was government force.

Quote:
Sometimes people do what they do because they can.
Because others don't have the backbone to defend the rights of the individual.

It's like you saw a movie based on fiction and thought it was reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies