Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 03:39 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn350 View Post
Only in the last seventeen months has America seen positive change in our economy. President Trump is now seeing unemployment figures at an all-time low for African-Americans, Hispanics, and women. President Obama, on the other hand, could never even muster as much as 3% GDP growth in any of his years in office, the only president never to do it.

It's not even a contest to see who the clear winner is.
You know that during Trump's administration the GDP annual growth rate has yet to hit 3%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 04:04 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Thanks for clearing things up, I didn't realize we could solve the problem by handing out free money to consumers who already made horrible financial decisions in many cases. I don't want the government handing out money to individuals OR corporations, and picking winners. Bad decisions have consequences, people and companies need to learn that but our government seems to want to play "pick the winner" too often.
You mean like the banks? So handing them money was OK?

You also appear to be utterly clueless as to what is being proposed. We are not talking about recusing the idiots. We are talking about general liquidity. Someone buying a house for 300k and then being worth 150k because of a banker engineered liquidity crisis is not legitimate. Its worth 300k in 2006 and then 150k in 2008 and them back to 300k in 2012? Also why do we pay people to make assessments? People do not just buy homes for any price. They have to be approved with an accurate assessment. Banks are supposed to sat no to the idiots.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:44 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Thanks for clearing things up, I didn't realize we could solve the problem by handing out free money to consumers who already made horrible financial decisions in many cases. I don't want the government handing out money to individuals OR corporations, and picking winners. Bad decisions have consequences, people and companies need to learn that but our government seems to want to play "pick the winner" too often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You mean like the banks? So handing them money was OK?

You also appear to be utterly clueless as to what is being proposed. We are not talking about recusing the idiots. We are talking about general liquidity. Someone buying a house for 300k and then being worth 150k because of a banker engineered liquidity crisis is not legitimate. Its worth 300k in 2006 and then 150k in 2008 and them back to 300k in 2012? Also why do we pay people to make assessments? People do not just buy homes for any price. They have to be approved with an accurate assessment. Banks are supposed to sat no to the idiots.
GTFO with your personal attacks and re-read what I said, I'll connect the dots for you in green above. You are asking a question that you damn well know I answered in the negative already.

Take a walk with your personal agenda of just trying to attack me or whatever. I was clear in what I said and you are just trying to stir things up now.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:13 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
The economy is soaring and conservatives will say its because of the tax cuts and all of the regulations Trump lifted. Liberals will say it is because of Obama but never can give a reason why. I’m just going by people I know and what I have read.
That being said....the economy was suffering through 8 years of Obama yet Obama’s presidency is why the economy is good now? I don’t agree.
In case no one has already said this: In the first year or so of a new president's economy, it's usually considered to be due to the previous president.

When Bill Clinton became president, he wrote George Bush Sr. a nice note thanking him for leaving the economy in such good shape.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:30 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
So far, I like Trump's economy; there are fewer regulations, less interference, and fewer people who can't find a job. It's what I wanted all along. It will be a cold day in hell when Trump asks for a stimulus fund of $1T. He would rather cut taxes and let people spend money the way they wish.
The tax cut would be fine if they cut spending to go along with it; but of course, they're not.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Obama doubled the debt to get a slowly recovering economy. Trump is increasing the debt even more.

Eventually Americans will have to pay for this dereliction. But hey if you want heap praise on O or T go for it.
^^^Finally, someone who gets it.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Even the stock market is still in the red for the year,
Fact Check: As of the date of your post (6/7/18), the stock market was NOT in the red for the year. I will never get why people say stuff that is clearly wrong yet so easily verified.

The S&P 500 Stock Index? Up.
The Wilshire 5000 Stock Index (total stock market)? Up.
Nasdaq Composite? Up.
Dow Jones Industrial Average? Up.
S&P Mid Cap 400 Index (mid size companies)? Up.
Russell 2000 Index (small companies)? Up.

All of these indices were up at least 1.6% YTD as of 6/7; some such as the Nasdaq, were up almost 10%.

Anyone can check the charts on Morningstar.com

NAESX Vanguard Small Capitalization Index Fund Investor Shares Fund NAESX chart

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 06-15-2018 at 12:57 AM..

Old 06-15-2018, 01:17 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
The economy is soaring and conservatives will say its because of the tax cuts and all of the regulations Trump lifted. Liberals will say it is because of Obama but never can give a reason why. I’m just going by people I know and what I have read.
That being said....the economy was suffering through 8 years of Obama yet Obama’s presidency is why the economy is good now? I don’t agree.
It's mostly Republican Congress Congress which has controlled the budget since 2011.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:50 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Fact Check: As of the date of your post (6/7/18), the stock market was NOT in the red for the year. I will never get why people say stuff that is clearly wrong yet so easily verified.

The S&P 500 Stock Index? Up.
The Wilshire 5000 Stock Index (total stock market)? Up.
Nasdaq Composite? Up.
Dow Jones Industrial Average? Up.
S&P Mid Cap 400 Index (mid size companies)? Up.
Russell 2000 Index (small companies)? Up.

All of these indices were up at least 1.6% YTD as of 6/7; some such as the Nasdaq, were up almost 10%.

Anyone can check the charts on Morningstar.com[/url]
the poster you are responding to likes to promote FUD about the stock market and has been proven wrong by myself and others on multiple occasions. The behavior seems botish(or a paid shill), always posting the same crap in multiple threads even when the stock market isnt part of the discussion.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:16 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
Obama did a heck of a job!

From Recession to Recovery

1. Ended the 2008 Recession

In February 2009, Congress approved Obama's $787 billion economic stimulus package. It cut taxes, extended unemployment benefits, and funded public works projects. The recession ended in July when GDP growth turned positive. In just seven months, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act pumped $241.9 billion into the economy. That increased growth to a robust 3.9 percent rate by early 2010. By March 30, 2011, almost all ($633.5 billion) of the funds were spent.

2. Modernized Auto Industry
3. Received 2009 Nobel Peace Prize
4. Reformed Health Care
5. Regulated the Big Banks
6. 2010 Tax Cuts
7. Eliminated bin Laden Threat and Withdrew Troops from Iraq and Afghanistan Wars
8. Raised Fuel Efficiency Standards
9. Won 2012 Presidential Re-election
On November 6, 2012, Obama won a second term. Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney promised to repeal Obamacare and Dodd-Frank. Voters were not sure about eliminating health benefits and regulations against big banks. Romney failed to capture the country's imagination by not presenting a new vision for economic growth.
9. Reduced Carbon Emissions
10. Nuclear Agreement With Iran
11. World's Largest Trade Agreement
12. International Climate Change Agreement
13. Best Job Creator
Obama is the biggest job-creating president in U.S. history. His policies put 22.309 million people to work from the depths of the recession in January 2010 to the end of his term. That's because unemployment continued to rise even after the recession ended in 2009. It takes a few months of economic growth before businesses are confident enough to begin hiring again.

Since the beginning of his term, he put 17.267 million people to work. That makes him the second best job-creator, following Bill Clinton. Job gains would have been even better if Congress had approved Obama's proposed Americans Jobs Act.

Maintained Continuation of Federal Reserve Policy - Obama appointed Federal Reserve Vice-Chair Janet Yellen to replace Ben Bernanke. She maintained an expansionary monetary policy that created the lowest interest rates in 200 years. This allowed the early stages of the housing recovery and slow but steady business expansion to continue. That's because Treasury yields affect mortgage interest rates.

Deficit Spending - The major mark against Obama is the increase in the national debt. Part of the reason for this increase was the deficit spending he used to stimulate the economy. Deficits fell in his second term. Obama's total projected deficits are $6.576 trillion.

No Personal Scandal - One achievement has gone unnoticed but is nevertheless admirable. That's Obama's unblemished personal record. President Obama has served longer than any president in decades without the appearance of the word “scandal” on the front page of The Washington Post. The Washington Monthly has published Obama's top 50 accomplishments.

Obama faced the worst recession since the Great Depression. He used expansionary fiscal policy to combat it. He signed the $787 billion Economic Stimulus Act. This act created jobs in education and infrastructure, ending the recession in the third quarter 2009.

Obama bailed out the U.S. auto industry on March 30, 2009. The federal government took over General Motors and Chrysler, saving three million jobs.

Obama used Bush-era TARP funds to create HARP. It rescued homeowners who were upside-down in their mortgages.

Trump entered office without a recession to fight. But he won the election on the impression by voters that the economic growth should be better.

https://www.thebalance.com/what-has-...hments-3306158

https://www.ft.com/content/b5b764cc-...b-e7eb37a6aa8e
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies