Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 01:03 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
More winning!

MAGA

I shorted steel cha-ching MAGA/KAGA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
I see discussions like this, and it just reinforces exactly how and why Rosanne's reboot was so popular.

The entire show was a case study on how badly the working class is getting screwed by Trump policy. It shows the hypocrisy of them, and the last episode even cheered on natural disaster and people praying for one so they could get a hand-out. At every turn, it showed how bigotry and hate, and willful ignorance always blew up in Rosanne (metaphore for the Trump base) face.

The whole while, the trump base cheered it on, because they listen to one loud-mouth person blathering talking points, while all around them, that loud-mouth is being brought down, and proven wrong at every turn.

Same here. EVIDENCE is that the tariffs are bad, but the loud-talkers are getting their message out, and the working class (those who still support trump) are cheering their way to the unemployement line. I can GUARANTEE you they will be the first ones with their hands out, looking for Uncle same to save their arses.

#Sad

Old 06-07-2018, 01:25 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times
The ongoing trade deficit is ok with you? The U.S. buys more than it makes and borrows millions from trading partners. That's quite a tab to keep running, isn't it? What if they want us to cash out that tab? Talk about going bankrupt!

Purchasing so much from overseas for so long, this has cost us jobs, and not only that but the ability to make those goods ourselves anymore.

We lose expertise and we even lose entire U.S. companies that use to make those products.

We then have to outsource jobs. We then are FORCED into a trade for those products and like domino's we are forced into debt.

We aren't competitive in the market anymore, we are just in-debt and hungry for products that we can't make ourselves.

Not a good position for America to be in. It has to be stabilized or we will be in trouble. Most presidents ignore it and just pass it on.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:31 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I see discussions like this, and it just reinforces exactly how and why Rosanne's reboot was so popular.

The entire show was a case study on how badly the working class is getting screwed by Trump policy. It shows the hypocrisy of them, and the last episode even cheered on natural disaster and people praying for one so they could get a hand-out. At every turn, it showed how bigotry and hate, and willful ignorance always blew up in Rosanne (metaphore for the Trump base) face.

The whole while, the trump base cheered it on, because they listen to one loud-mouth person blathering talking points, while all around them, that loud-mouth is being brought down, and proven wrong at every turn.

Same here. EVIDENCE is that the tariffs are bad, but the loud-talkers are getting their message out, and the working class (those who still support trump) are cheering their way to the unemployement line. I can GUARANTEE you they will be the first ones with their hands out, looking for Uncle same to save their arses.

#Sad
That is exactly what is happening in my state. Farmers that voted for Trump due to his bigotry, hate and ability to shout the words they wanted to hear are now gobsmacked that Dear Leader's tariffs are going to cost them major $$$$$ in lost crop sales. When the inevitable job losses occur, they are sure to blame it on anyone but themselves or Trump and vote for the next loudmouth right wing candidate that spouts the exact same things.

I will just laugh and SMH at these fools when they are filing for unemployment while wearing their MAGA hats.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
The ongoing trade deficit is ok with you? The U.S. buys more than it makes and borrows millions from trading partners. That's quite a tab to keep running, isn't it? What if they want us to cash out that tab? Talk about going bankrupt!

Purchasing so much from overseas for so long, this has cost us jobs, and not only that but the ability to make those goods ourselves anymore.

We lose expertise and we even lose entire U.S. companies that use to make those products.

We then have to outsource jobs. We then are FORCED into a trade for those products and like domino's we are forced into debt.

We aren't competitive in the market anymore, we are just in-debt and hungry for products that we can't make ourselves.

Not a good position for America to be in. It has to be stabilized or we will be in trouble. Most presidents ignore it and just pass it on.
rhetoric about the “trade deficit†is misleading. “Trade deficit†sounds bad, but a trade deficit makes up a large chunk of the US current account (payments flowing out) and is offset by the US capital account (payments flowing in). A politician saying “we’re running record trade deficits†and a politician saying “we’re running record capital surpluses†are saying the same thing. I’m not sure why they don’t emphasize capital surpluses more, but I suspect it’s because people view foreign investment in the US as a very bad thing because it means they are buying our assets. It’s a view of international trade as imperialism that simply isn’t correct.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/artcard.../#65ec366330c5

What's important is what is happening at home. Job growth has been steady for almost 8 years now. We are at the lowest unemployment in years.

Adding 500 jobs in one industry to perhaps cost thousands across the nation is just not worth it.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:18 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Not any longer. After WWII the US was the only advanced economy with Europe and Japan were in shambles. The emerging economies had not yet emerged and were primitive subsistence economies. Since then growth rates in the emerging economies, fed by global trade, exceeded that of the US and the US lost market share. The real story is that the rest of the world has caught up to the US and the US is not nearly as dominant as it used to be.
What country has the military installation's all across the globe to the extent the US does, or even comes close.
Empire is economic and military power, not either or.

Quote:
The leading causes of the shrinkage of the middle class are:

1. Strong decline in union membership, low wages and flat wages.
2. Rising productivity per worker due to automation and robotics.
3. Rise of emerging former 3rd world economies that can produce goods cheaper.
4. Shift of US from manufacturing economy dependent on manual and skilled labor to a service economy dependent more on professionals, causing a surplus of unneeded unskilled workers.

The US is guilty of cheating too -- just as China uses government money to subsidize exporters, the US does the same with many agricultural goods like corn.
You are back in the tea cup.
Japan, So. Korea, Europe and others all operate under the protection of the empire.

If it wasn't for the US Navy China would be charging a toll to anyone passing through the So. China Sea now.
Trade takes place because of the power of the empire not in spite of it.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:28 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1004465207891120128

Map of state-by-state impact is here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DfBsjgHVMAEjnsZ.png:large

"16 jobs lost for every one gained"

And in 2016 you said if Trump wins our economy will collapse. How many times are you going to make a complete fool of yourself? Have you no shame?

Old 06-07-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
That is exactly what is happening in my state. Farmers that voted for Trump due to his bigotry, hate and ability to shout the words they wanted to hear are now gobsmacked that Dear Leader's tariffs are going to cost them major $$$$$ in lost crop sales. When the inevitable job losses occur, they are sure to blame it on anyone but themselves or Trump and vote for the next loudmouth right wing candidate that spouts the exact same things.

I will just laugh and SMH at these fools when they are filing for unemployment while wearing their MAGA hats.

Calm down, your TDS is flaring up. Breath into a bag for 10 mins and maybe, just maybe you'll be able to think clearly again.

But I doubt it.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:31 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
What is wrong with FAIR trade? Why must Americans always get screwed?

Old 06-07-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
What is wrong with FAIR trade? Why must Americans always get screwed?

I'm ready to be able to buy less stuff, more than ready. I'm happy with a book to read and a glass of wine for my entertainment.

If it means putting this country back right where young people can again get a good job I'm all for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies