Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Okay, I vote "yes."
We have achieved synthesis! Maybe the first time in years that I have found middle ground on this forum with a rightwinger.

Tell ya what... I'm going to go root around in the back refrigerti and dig out an ice beer; you do the same, and we'll have a beer together. My best wishes and respect to you, sir... if only we'd met under different circumstances, eh? A hundred years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 01:46 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
We have achieved synthesis! Maybe the first time in years that I have found middle ground on this forum with a rightwinger.

Tell ya what... I'm going to go root around in the back refrigerti and dig out an ice beer; you do the same, and we'll have a beer together. My best wishes and respect to you, sir... if only we'd met under different circumstances, eh? A hundred years...
You would be surprised how many right-wingers have an interest in science... both my brothers, a cousin and a long-time friend just to mention four.

My two favorite science subjects are Meteorology and Seismology.

This photos shows earthquake damage after the 1994 Northridge quake (Jan. 17; magnitude 6.7, focus [depth] 11.4 miles).

Old 06-11-2018, 08:53 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
No matter what happens, theMMGW people already covered any future base by calling any change in temp, up or down, year_over_year, month_over_month, whatever as "unprecedented climate change."

If every single day this year mirrored the same days last last year, down to 0.0001th of a degree, that would be unprecedented. If it snows an inch more or less in January, unprecedented. If it is 84.86 degF on July 31, 2018 when it was 84.85 degF on July 31, 2017...UNPRECEDENTED!!!!!

Just throw the word "unprecedented" in front of any any weather observation and the MMGW folks have something to shriek about. And no matter what period you choose to represent the "not so unprecedented" nature of the infinitely variable equation called "the atmosphere and global mean temp", there will be something unprecedented about it compared to something else. Roman and Medieval Warming periods show higher volatility and greater temp range than current warming, so not so unprecedented? Nope, the warming for this period should be less theoretically, even if more than earlier periods, because downward slope of graph for some period in the early Middle Ages shows a slope difference of 0.003%, so UNPRECEDENTED!

Warming isn't the clarion call anymore. It's the UNPRECEDENTED nature of weather changing on a daily basis, since any and every change can be described as unprecedented.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I love reading posts by global warming deniers. It's glaringly obvious that they do not understand the processes, let alone the science, behind global warming. They don't even have a rudimentary understanding of it yet they come on sites like this and post as if they're experts.
If global warming deniers would should study the subject, like read a lot, they will change their minds, like this new NASA chief did:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...heard-a-lot-of

Old 06-11-2018, 09:31 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Here is my prediction:

The earth heats and cools periodically.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:34 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If global warming deniers would should study the subject, like read a lot, they will change their minds, like this new NASA chief did:

NASA chief says he changed mind about climate change because he 'read a lot
No amount of manmade co2 will stop a grand solar minimum.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:39 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Here is my prediction:

The earth heats and cools periodically.
Can you explain why it does so?

Old 06-11-2018, 09:43 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Scientists are consistently wrong when it comes to predicting climate. Take anything they say on any given day with a grain of salt regarding this.

Actually the climate models have been quite accurate.

"The First Climate Model Turns 50, And Predicted Global Warming Almost Perfectly" Forbes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw.../#1a8febe36614

50 years ago the scientists predicted that as CO2 climbs, the world's average temperature would rise too. And they got the rate of change right too.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:17 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Nope - asking for non-biased research - not govt. funded research promoting global warming. That's the real dialogue. Even NASA's chief scientist says all the claims about global warming are not true. Paging Al Gore...
The one thing I've learned through the course of this debate is that, according to the denialists, all research is biased when it points to man's involvement in global warming. Anything that doesn't support their pseudoscience is ridiculed and labeled "fake" or "contrived". It's meant to rally the uneducated and ignorant voters in our society behind a point of view that big corporations and right wing lap dogs wish us to share.

The fact that you make a reference to someone even climate scientists consider a joke, Al Gore, is evidence enough for me that you know absolutely nothing in regards to true climate science. The research is there, it's all over the place. Read it. Educate yourself.

If you guys choose to ignore it then that's on you. The scientific community and the rest of the world acknowledge that mankind's activities within the last century and a half have created a major shift in our climate. They know that as a species we must take steps to mitigate the impact for future generations. No matter what a handful of ignorant simpletons in the United States chose to believe, the rest of the world will address the issue with or without us. You can continue to bury your head in the sand, deny, or whatever it is you feel will get you through the day but in the end it won't matter to anyone.

Old 06-11-2018, 05:19 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Can you explain why it does so?
Based on past history. That’s what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies