Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So, you believe all trials should be conducted by a judge without a jury, correct?
Nope, only those which involve a suit of more than $20 or are a criminal prosecution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 10:18 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
When you go to through the selection process, brandish a Jerry Spence book! That should do it! Like his book: Justice For None.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:51 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Nope, only those which involve a suit of more than $20 or are a criminal prosecution.
So if it is unconstitutional to require someone to serve on a jury how do you suggest we have jury trials? And, how could requiring someone to serve on a jury be unconstitutional if jury trials are mandated by the Constitution?

Old 06-11-2018, 10:56 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,167 times
I just told them I have bone spurs.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:56 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Take the Homer Simpson route:

"The trick is to say you're prejudiced against all races."

Old 06-11-2018, 11:31 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I used to get jury duty notices from California long after I moved to Texas (I was still in contact with the people at my old address).

I'd call in, explain that I'd moved to Texas. I'd be put on hold, and then the person would return and tell me the issue had been taken care of.

The last time, the notice was forwarded to me a few days before a trip in California. While I was in California, i called as I had before. This time a woman said "let me check something else". When I got my Texas DL, they took my California DL and told me that part of the process is that they cancel your DL from the previous state. It turned out that that person was wrong. The "let me check something else" lady told me that my DL in California had not been canceled. She told me to go to the DMV and do the paperwork for a voluntary cancelation. I did that the next day. That next day I also saw two LEOs, explained the scenario/what I had done re resolution. I asked them if I needed to worry about having had a DL in two states for a couple of years and, if so, what did I need to do to mitigate the situation. They laughed at me (it sounded as though they thought most people wouldn't be detail oriented enough to care) and told me not to worry about it .
I'm in a similar situation, but I didn't have my mail forwarded due to having issues with a stalker... so I have no way of knowing if I receive jury summons at my old address. :/

I called and they have no record on me now, but they said there's no way to remove me from the roster altogether until I actually receive one. Catch 22...

Old 06-11-2018, 11:35 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
By being honest. I told the judge that I was still formulating my opinion on the law surrounding the case (essentially that I didn’t agree with it) and did not feel I could be impartial or objective.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 902,314 times
I was never called up.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Had to go twice, selected twice for the jury. What can I say, I'm popular guy.

This is something we should all take seriously. If you don't want to be there you don't belong there. If you are one of those people just remember one thing, some day it might be you being prosecuted or sued with someone on a jury who is in a hurry to get home.

My only complaint was the chairs, expecting people to sit in those folding metal chairs for hours is ridiculous. I was selected quickly both times but I could not imagine having to sit there for a few days. I'll be bringing a seat pad with me the next time

Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 AM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Had to go twice, selected twice for the jury. What can I say, I'm popular guy.

This is something we should all take seriously. If you don't want to be there you don't belong there. If you are one of those people just remember one thing, some day it might be you being prosecuted or sued with someone on a jury who is in a hurry to get home.

My only complaint was the chairs, expecting people to sit in those folding metal chairs for hours is ridiculous. I was selected quickly both times but I could not imagine having to sit there for a few days. I'll be bringing a seat pad with me the next time
Actually, from what I've seen of the jury selection process (voir dire) is that it's a crime deterrent. You don't EVER want to be in a situation where you're facing a trial by jury. Numerous times, I've seen both sides deliberately choose jurors that I sure as hell wouldn't want to have holding my fate in their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies