Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 04:04 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,234,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
So you are pro-abortion, but too skittish to admit it.
I am PRO-CHOICE, as in I am for a woman having a CHOICE as to what to do with her body and her reproductive options.

Why is that so difficult for you to understand? I don't care if someone chooses to drive a Ford, that doesn't make me pro Ford. I don't care if someone chooses to own a cat, that doesn't make me pro-cat. I don't care if someone chooses to eat only fish sticks, that doesn't make me pro-fish sticks. I don't care if someone chooses to collect stamps, that doesn't make me pro-stamp collecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 04:17 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,466,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Not to disagree, but when is it a person exactly?

In a sense, all humans are just complex masses of cells. But at some point we reach cognition and gain the ability to feel.

Basically, if it's just two or 3 cells, is it anything other than a biomass? Or is the idea of it being a person based mostly on emotion.

And yes, I do feel somewhat strong about it. BUT there are circumstances where abortion might be the right choice given that the kid could have a potentially crappy existence, or the baby can potentially cause harm to the mother if born, or the mother was a rape victim.

Not to mention consciousness and personalities are built by chemicals and experiences.
I really think there's a consciousness or an awareness developed in the 3rd trimester.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
And pro-lifers should be known as pro-birthers since they have made it abundantly clear that once that sacred "baby" has left the birth canal all bets are off.
I'm going to say this again-that is untrue. The Catholic church (which I am not a member of, BTW) is both pro-life and pro children and families. There are many pro-lifers who are also pro-kids. It really annoys me to hear pro-choicers say this and makes me want to distance myself from them. I don't like to stereotype people like that.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 904,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Existential question, but if they are in fact the father, then, yes. I have a very dear friend who mourns his miscarried son every year. It's a tough time for him.
People still believe that the unborn is nothing more than tissue?

Old 06-14-2018, 05:53 PM

10,248 posts, read 6,340,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm going to say this again-that is untrue. The Catholic church (which I am not a member of, BTW) is both pro-life and pro children and families. There are many pro-lifers who are also pro-kids. It really annoys me to hear pro-choicers say this and makes me want to distance myself from them. I don't like to stereotype people like that.
Who are you defending Catholic Church or the Medical Profession? Are you saying what happened to me is untrue? How does giving a woman an IV and BP monitoring kill babies? Isn't that basic medical care? They put MY life in danger because of their ideology and negligence.

Many people at the time told me I should have sued this hospital. It had nothing to do with performing an abortion but saving a life, MINE. They were blinded by religion and all that mattered to them was an already dead embryo. I was just some incubator to them.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:56 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,763,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I am PRO-CHOICE, as in I am for a woman having a CHOICE as to what to do with her body and her reproductive options.

Why is that so difficult for you to understand? I don't care if someone chooses to drive a Ford, that doesn't make me pro Ford. I don't care if someone chooses to own a cat, that doesn't make me pro-cat. I don't care if someone chooses to eat only fish sticks, that doesn't make me pro-fish sticks. I don't care if someone chooses to collect stamps, that doesn't make me pro-stamp collecting.
If she chooses an abortion you support it. You are pro abortion. No biggie. Why are you so scared to admit it?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Who are you defending Catholic Church or the Medical Profession? Are you saying what happened to me is untrue? How does giving a woman an IV and BP monitoring kill babies? Isn't that basic medical care? They put MY life in danger because of their ideology and negligence.

Many people at the time told me I should have sued this hospital. It had nothing to do with performing an abortion but saving a life, MINE. They were blinded by religion and all that mattered to them was an already dead embryo. I was just some incubator to them.
I'm saying the Catholic church is pro-life and pro-family, officially anyway. What'd I say about your hated "Medical Profession"? I wasn't responding to you; I read your post a while back and I don't even remember it.

It's getting embarrassing to be pro-choice, with so many saying stuff like "pro-lifers should be known as pro-birthers since they have made it abundantly clear that once that sacred "baby" has left the birth canal all bets are off". That's become a catch-phrase of many "progressives" but it's not true and not helpful to their cause.

"She thinks that, when it comes to the feminist movement’s opponents, “dividing and conquering is a very good strategy.” She said, “If the feminist movement allows itself to be divided, it’s going to be conquered.” It needs to unite and “allow pro-life people to engage.” "
Where Do Pro-Life Feminists Belong? | Religion & Politics

Old 06-14-2018, 07:43 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,056,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
So you are pro-abortion, but too skittish to admit it.
No because that definition isn’t accurate. It ignores the other choicest supported pro choice all 3 choices supported equally

Old 06-14-2018, 08:25 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,110,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
People still believe that the unborn is nothing more than tissue?
I believe *tumor* is a better analogy.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:50 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,305,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy 2 years after my first child was born. My doctor suspected this. When I started experience pain down my left side, he wanted me to go immediately to a hospital. He could not get me into a non-sectarian hospital he was affiliated with so I had to go to a Catholic Hospital. "I am very sorry I have to do this to you", he said. Little did I know.

Although he had order a sonogram, IV, and BP monitoring, all I got was a pregnancy test with the words "We do not do abortions here". That was all I got for 12 hours until my doctor could get to the hospital (delivery) and screamed down the hallways that they were not following his orders.

I walked the hallways trying to stay awake. Just had a feeling that if I feel asleep it was over for me. The next day when they finally did a sonogram, which DID show I had a ruptured ectopic with massive internal bleeding, the word around the hospital (heard it) was that it was a MIRACLE that I had not gone into a coma or cardiac arrest. I don't remember but the woman in the next bed told me that they wheeled me into surgery screaming, "You are not going to KILL ME". To add insult to injury, they sent a priest to my bedside after who said, "I know you are upset about losing your baby". What? No, Father, I am upset about you almost killing ME for an already DEAD baby". One simple sonogram immediately would have proved that. He left in a huff.

So how did my husband react to all this? Grieved the loss of his child? No, he too went screaming down the hospital hallways. "Do something for my WIFE". The few times we have ever talked about this, he never mentions his lost child, but the time he almost lost me.

My older daughter, who was 3 then, still remembers that day 35 years later. Do you think she mourns the loss of a sibling? "Mommy, please don't die", she said to me when I left for the hospital. She mostly definitely gave me the will to survive it. I have heard the quote "why do women care more about their living children than their unborn children?" I sincerely hope you aren't a parent if you have to ask that.
Oh, Jo... I am SO sorry that happened to you.

I know a few people who have had ectopic pregnancies, but none who have had them rupture. I still remember a story in the news here from when my eldest was a toddler about a real estate agent who was somewhat prominent in the area who died from a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. They are so dangerous. I cannot even fathom a hospital ANYWHERE refusing care in a life-or-death situation where there was no chance whatsoever to save a pregnancy.

I'm glad that you survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies