Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 05:22 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Interest rates have been and still are near historical lows. I believe that in the 70's it was common for people to be paying double digit interest rates. It was an era known as "Stagflation" under Jimmy Carter.

Interest rates have been made so low as a means to stimulate the economy. Right now our economy is dependent upon massive debt and low rates of interest. Indeed, debt is encouraged via low rates of interest. Now that interest rates have been low for so long, people think that is normal, but its really abnormal. It just encourages more debt and ramps up housing prices and the like.

Here is the thing, though. Our economy would take a big economic hit or depression if the nation tried to normalize interest rates and debt. The economy is dependent upon those things. So expect a slowing of the economy by the end of the year.
This economic smoke and mirrors is eventually going to bring the whole system down if not stopped. Better to abolish the Fed and take the big economic hit now than to have $1 trillion buying a loaf of bread later on.
Of course, Wall Street, and others, don't like that idea of taking the hit now, and so keep wanting to kick the can as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:19 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Another way of putting it: the fed takes away the punch bowl just when the party is going good.

Maybe because we shouldn't get drunk on the punch but instead enjoy moderately.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Maybe because we shouldn't get drunk on the punch but instead enjoy moderately.
The Fed's job is to see that we don't. Now whether or not they do a good job of that is another question.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Nice spin. But here are the facts:

- Trump said he hated low interest rates, said it creates bubble.

- Trump is the one who replaced Janet Yellen, among his complaints of her is that she kept rates too low for too long.

- The guy who often criticizes his own staff openly never so much as said or tweet a word against the rate hike. None.

- We all know Trump only appoints loyalists who does his bidding. Aside from Jeff Session, no one has the balls to go against Trump; and Session only did it because law.

FRB Chair does not control interest rates.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
Trump is guilty of a lot of things against the middle class, but raising interest rates isn't one of them.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Shame it is only 2 more this year, they should have done 6 this year. Hopefully they do 6 next year. We need to get above 7% before the next recession or we will have nothing in our toolbox to fight it.

Keeping rates so low for so long is easily one of the worst policies of the Yellen era.
Hey, I'm stating clear out that high interest rates will benefit ME - that is, those with wealth and no debt.

My larger question is how it will affect lower wage workers......
AND
How it will affect the National Debt interest payments

and all the other stuff.

It seems like people are just glossing over that stuff. Maybe I care too much about the struggling people and the deficit. Sorry about that!

Example - if we have 21 Trillion of debt at an average of 2.5%, the yearly interest payments on the debt are about 530 Billion dollars, right?

But, looking forward even 3-4 years, if the debt is 25 Trillion (and the Trump admin says it will be - with over a trillion each year added)....and the rate is 4%, then that is about 1 Trillion per year in interest.

Follow me for a second here. The USA collects about 2.3 Trillion a year in personal income taxes. So this means in the near future we will be paying 40% of our Income taxes just to offset interest! We won't get anything for this payment (it's already been spent!).....

Am I wrong? My OP was simple - what does this do for the lower and lower-middle classes that are shouting MAGA. They don't care about a tax cut much because they hardly make it. They (and all Americans) have more debt than at any time in history....

Instead of talking about that it's "good", please explain where we are going to get the money to pay those interest payments.....

In terms of home mortgages...it's a fact that the calculations are simple. Higher payments = either less house one can afford and/or house prices declining...

This is NOT a take on the long run and whether interest rates should be 4% or 10%. Rather it is asking how the "common man" or "forgotten man" can pay 20-30% higher prices for gasoline and then vastly more for their debt....both personally as as a nation.

I'd love to have an answer which includes the actual reality of the 40-50% of Americans who live in this fashion....AND, also a comment on how we can get closer to paying down the debt given a higher interest environment....

Wow, I mean - if things are so great and so hot why aren't people getting hired for basic jobs starting at $25 an hour? That's the (inflation adjusted) wage I started at as a plain laborer in the South in 1974. ($5 plus CPI = $26.99)....

Maybe I am out of touch. Are unskilled laborers in TN making $26? Oh, BTW, we weren't able to buy a house or anything close at that wage back in 1974/1975.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Trump is guilty of a lot of things against the middle class, but raising interest rates isn't one of them.
Please read post above. It's not a question of guilty - but a question of how they are going to flourish in a high interest environment when wages have not increased...and when many fight against such (and some Trump policies do this...."right to work for less", etc.)....

I haven't even touched on the health care inflation - probably 3X regular inflation and accelerating.

How will the middle and lower-middle (and even lower) class prosper? Simple question.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:57 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
This thread is brought to you by Charmin Ultra, because some turds are bigger than others.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Please read post above. It's not a question of guilty - but a question of how they are going to flourish in a high interest environment when wages have not increased...and when many fight against such (and some Trump policies do this...."right to work for less", etc.)....

I haven't even touched on the health care inflation - probably 3X regular inflation and accelerating.

How will the middle and lower-middle (and even lower) class prosper? Simple question.
I've asked this question for a long time and the only answer I get is "Russia"!

Old 06-15-2018, 03:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I wonder how this benefits low wage workers...in addition to paying 20% more for gasoline, they all are going to be paying more for all their (vast) debt. Mortgage. Even their employers will be paying more interest on all their debts and mortgages and capital equipment....meaning less for wages.

As it stand there is zero wage growth when inflation is figured in - and that is before these hikes.

What is the end game here? Those of us who are financially secure could care less...we welcome higher interest rates. But the vast majority of people, including the forgotten man Trump said would be working his arse off and back in the saddle...they are gonna be hurting....

MAGA. Or MBGA (Make Banks Great Again).
Presidents have no control over the Federal Reserve.

No doubt you're ignorant of the fact that President Carter was totally livid about about interest rate increases by the Federal Reserve, which reached 20% in March 1980. Although lowered to 8.5% during the Summer months, the rate increased to 12% in September.

The average rate during the Carter Administration was roughly 13%.

Carter still blames the Federal Reserve in part for his 1980 Election loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is a scam. We have decades to prepare for "summer driving season". Prices go up when there are shortages or unforseen circumstances. "Summer driving season" is neither.
"Summer driving season" is a shortage.

Many States require specially formulated gasoline from May to September. The Commonwealth of Kentucky does, but the State of Ohio does not.

In the industry, it's called "reformulated" gasoline, and it requires a different catalyst, among things.

Since gasoline production in the US is fixed and flat, meaning a maximum amount of gasoline can be produced and no more, and the only way to increase that is to build a new refinery, which takes an estimated 14-17 years.

Since the two forms of gasoline cannot be mixed, refinery owners shut down their refineries one at a time to make the conversion to produce reformulated gasoline.

That is the cause in the decrease of the Supply of Gasoline, and if Demand remains constant or increases, and it usually increases in Summer, prices rise.

Once enough reformulated gasoline is produced and stock-piled, which is usually by Summer's end, the refineries shut down and covert back to regular gasoline.

Note that reformulated gasoline costs more to produce.

California requires reformulated gasoline year-round, and there are several smaller older refineries dedicated to producing nothing but reformulated specifically for California. Those refineries can only refine about 30,000 to 90,000 barrels of oil per day.

That's one reason (but not the only reason) gasoline prices are always higher in California than the other States and Commonwealths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies