Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:59 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times

Advertisements

Interest rate increases have been in the cards for some time now. Probably overdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Isn’t this part of the checks and balances? When the economy revs up hot they try to throttle it by raising interest rates?
Given the state of the economy, rates should be higher than where they are today. The FED has been very slow to raise rates.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:04 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Loony Leftists don't understand finance. That's why they want government money and 'income equality.'

Raising credit card interest rates should encourage people not to live beyond their means. I'm guilty of the 'buy now, pay later' mentality myself so this is a wake up call.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:30 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I can't stand Trump but the Fed is a really professional group of economists that are as non-political as you can get in Wash, DC (or in there regional offices).

If anything this is one of the few federal institutions that Trump hasn't poisoned yet. I HOPE it stays that way.

The Fed would be raising interest rates at this point in the economic cycle regardless of who is President.
Agreed! I’m glad rates are rising, as they were held too low for too long. Thank goodness this is seemingly the last institution 45 hasn’t poisoned.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:43 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,217,746 times
This is just a continuation of the fed policies under Yellen, increase in interest rates and reducing federal credit. Trump had criticized Yellen but now is silent.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:44 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I wonder how this benefits low wage workers...in addition to paying 20% more for gasoline, they all are going to be paying more for all their (vast) debt. Mortgage. Even their employers will be paying more interest on all their debts and mortgages and capital equipment....meaning less for wages.

As it stand there is zero wage growth when inflation is figured in - and that is before these hikes.

What is the end game here? Those of us who are financially secure could care less...we welcome higher interest rates. But the vast majority of people, including the forgotten man Trump said would be working his arse off and back in the saddle...they are gonna be hurting....

MAGA. Or MBGA (Make Banks Great Again).
The decision you see today is another sign that the U.S. economy is in great shape,”
- Fed Chairman Jerome Powell
This is why I do not take derangement suffers seriously.

The reason why gasoline prices are higher is because the economy is doing better , which typically raises the marginal cost of producing it, and the summer driving season.

I am sure there will be lots of other happy people who are savers who will be glad to earn interest income. Rather appropriate as well since abstaining from consumption when times are good has economic merits.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:44 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We are returning to normal rates. The economy is booming, can handle the increases and it keeps inflation in check.

Anything below 6% is still a bargain. You can whine when we hit 12-16% like we did when many of us bought our first homes.

Good job Trump.

Well you are in RE right? surely you see the danger of an imploding housing market due to interest rates making these historically unaffordable housing prices even more unaffordable.

Normally i would agree under 6 is fine.

But RE pricing is not normal it is massively inflated in many states and higher rates will hurt pricing. I know of course that historically that is not accurate, but this time i belive it is and i do very well getting these things correct.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
The decision you see today is another sign that the U.S. economy is in great shape,”
- Fed Chairman Jerome Powell
This is why I do not take derangement suffers seriously.

The reason why gasoline prices are higher is because the economy is doing better , which typically raises the marginal cost of producing it, and the summer driving season.
This is a scam. We have decades to prepare for "summer driving season". Prices go up when there are shortages or unforseen circumstances. "Summer driving season" is neither.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Well you are in RE right? surely you see the danger of an imploding housing market due to interest rates making these historically unaffordable housing prices even more unaffordable.

Normally i would agree under 6 is fine.

But RE pricing is not normal it is massively inflated in many states and higher rates will hurt pricing. I know of course that historically that is not accurate, but this time i belive it is and i do very well getting these things correct.
If the prices are inflated them coming down will only bring things closer to where they are supposed to be.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If the prices are inflated them coming down will only bring things closer to where they are supposed to be.
And what if it doesn't come down? At least not for a long time?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies