Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,942 times

Advertisements

Sadly it s down to good and evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 10:54 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Sadly it s down to good and evil.
Jesus is a Republican.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:57 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
There are a lot of conservatives who don't like Trump and are reasonable people, but unfortunately most Trump supporters claim to be "conservatives."

Last edited by NeutralParty; 06-15-2018 at 11:23 AM..

Old 06-15-2018, 10:58 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Interesting responses so far.

I’ll ask another question: is Trump “liberal” or “conservative?

His family / marriage arrangements and lifetime in NYC would make him more “liberal.” But he’s a business tycoon who sells stuff that is made in China, while speaking about border walls and protecting fossil fuel interests. That’d make home more “conservative.”
I do not believe he is either. I believe he is an opportunist, and the worst kind of nationalist, dressing himself in populist clothing.

The real question is not what he is, but who has embraced him and why.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:14 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I do not believe he is either. I believe he is an opportunist, and the worst kind of nationalist, dressing himself in populist clothing.

The real question is not what he is, but who has embraced him and why.
Who cares? I don't really care for Stalin either but he came in pretty handy at the time. Trump's enemies are my enemies. The corrupt, double talking, rentier class needed to be dislodged , quite possibly it was by another kind of rentier class. However as I have said, Trump's rich people seem to employ capital unlike the other rentier class that is about banking , tool booth economy and foreign wars.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:

I’ll ask another question: is Trump “liberal” or “conservative?”

His family / marriage arrangements and lifetime in NYC would make him more “liberal.” But he’s a business tycoon who sells stuff that is made in China, while speaking about border walls and protecting fossil fuel interests. That’d make home more “conservative.”

I did not vote for Trump in part because I didn't think he was a conservative. Just his history of using eminent domain alone proved it.

But once in office, he has been a pleasant surprise for me as a conservative. Justice Gorsuch, the tax cuts, moving the embassy to Jerusalem, 'draconian' cuts to the State Dept, appointing a school voucher activist as Ed. Sec'y....the list goes on.

Sometimes I suspect that Mike Pence is doing a lot more behind the scenes than we know, and Pence is definitely a conservative.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:35 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The terms liberal and conservative were never really very good nor accurate, but I think if we follow the rule of defining them as they are defined by common parlance, I think they are still useful.

In common parlance, liberals are really collectivists. They want powerful government, and for decisions to be made at the collective level. Conservatives are individualists. To the extent possible, we want decisions left in the hands of the individual.

These definitions explain a whole range of differences between Democrats and Republicans. Republicans want individuals to be able to keep and bear arms. Democrats want arms only in the hands of the collective (police/military). Liberals want more money transferred from individuals to the collective (taxes). Republicans prefer that money be left in the hands of the individual where possible. Liberals want the collective (government) tentacles in everything from entertainment (tax funded sports stadiums) to the baking of wedding cakes. Conservatives believe in privately funded sports stadiums, and individual choice when it comes to wedding cakes.

Again this is all generally speaking. YMMV.
So in other words conservative = good and liberal = bad. Got it, thanks for cluing me in.

Conservative are no more individualists than liberals, they may be more corporatists than anything. More likely to be a the trough for a new stadium or tax break than a liberal thats for sure.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:50 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
So in other words conservative = good and liberal = bad. Got it, thanks for cluing me in.

Conservative are no more individualists than liberals, they may be more corporatists than anything. More likely to be a the trough for a new stadium or tax break than a liberal thats for sure.
Please DO NOT shove words into another poster's mouth. Very bad form. I never said 'liberal=bad and conservative=good.'

What I said is that conservatives are individualists and liberals are collectivists.

It is certainly true that many Republicans these days are corporatists, but those who are, are not conservatives.

If you wish to cite someone else's opinion in order to criticize them, it is best to directly quote from their post and then criticize that.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:

I’ll ask another question: is Trump “liberal” or “conservative?”

Trump is an immoral con man. He has no guiding principles except one I win- you lose.

It would be an insult to conservatives, republicans AND liberals to align him with any of those...

But in the old days, he would be considered a "limo liberal"...which, IMHO, is not always a good thing. Or maybe is never a good thing. That usually meant spoiled an a coke head...or in Don's case, a playboy.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:38 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
The English language is skilled at the corruption of many words losing their original meaning, so political words should be no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies