Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 12:36 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,674,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There is no "easy way." One of the few ways to immigrate legally is to marry an American. And it's not easy to complete reams and reams of paperwork, pay $500-$1000 to submit it, wait, receive another huge packet of paperwork...rinse, repeat. Pay money. Pay more money. Obtain and submit your parents' birth certificates, obtain a sponsor (maybe your future spouse) who will pledge to support you for five years, undergo a background check--that you pay for in your country of origin. Send all of that in with more money. Wait and wait and wait. Undergo a somewhat frightening interview at the American embassy in your country--they seem to take smug pride in humiliating people and have been known to send them away to start all over again if their paperwork is not in consecutive order. It's expensive, time consuming, nerve wracking.

Legal immigration, no matter how it's done, is not "easy." It's the way it needs to be done though. NOT illegally. LEGALLY. But the legal system could be less beaurocratic--that would be nice.
We went through it with my wife. It was a decent amount of paperwork and, of course, money, but it's definitely the easiest way to become a citizen. Do you realize how difficult it is to get a visa to the US in most countries, let alone attempt to become a legal resident here? It usually comes down to personal connections, and how much you're able to bribe officials in your home country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 12:54 AM

27,623 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There is no "easy way." One of the few ways to immigrate legally is to marry an American. And it's not easy to complete reams and reams of paperwork, pay $500-$1000 to submit it, wait, receive another huge packet of paperwork...rinse, repeat. Pay money. Pay more money. Obtain and submit your parents' birth certificates, obtain a sponsor (maybe your future spouse) who will pledge to support you for five years, undergo a background check--that you pay for in your country of origin. Send all of that in with more money. Wait and wait and wait. Undergo a somewhat frightening interview at the American embassy in your country--they seem to take smug pride in humiliating people and have been known to send them away to start all over again if their paperwork is not in consecutive order. It's expensive, time consuming, nerve wracking.

Legal immigration, no matter how it's done, is not "easy."
It is a fairly straightforward process and usually takes less than a year to get a green card if you marry an American citizen. $1000 is hardly much money for someone who is trying to legally immigrate to another country.

It doesn't get much easier than that (and shouldn't).

Old 06-20-2018, 05:25 AM

59,203 posts, read 27,403,113 times
"Has the immigration political debate made you feel resentment towards your ethnic group?

NO.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:30 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,893,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
We went through it with my wife. It was a decent amount of paperwork and, of course, money, but it's definitely the easiest way to become a citizen. Do you realize how difficult it is to get a visa to the US in most countries, let alone attempt to become a legal resident here? It usually comes down to personal connections, and how much you're able to bribe officials in your home country.
Now you have links, court cases and verifiable testimony to back up that claim right?
Be cause I went through it with my wife also. The money wasn't that bad, the redundant paper work was. I also know others who have come here legally. No men ion of bribes from them. Then again they had good jobs at home, and weren't a risk.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,672,329 times
People should come in legally. I'm not for illegal immigrants flooding the borders (I'm a democrat). But, I'm sure not for taking kids away from parents and putting them in "camps." Some may never be reunited w/ their families. This is barbaric. I wouldn't follow Trump down into his Moral mud, or anyone else, regardless of Party.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:19 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Having kids doesn't and shouldn't keep people from being prosecuted for a crime.

"In contrast, the current administration has chosen to prosecute adult border-crossers, even when they have kids.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact...-families-was/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies