Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 03:30 PM

766 posts, read 1,255,687 times

Advertisements

I’m a dual citizen of Mexico and America. I was born in Mexico to two American citizen parents so I received both citizenships at birth. I have mad love for Mexico and its people, but even I’m starting to consider voting republican. My mom is an immigrant and she did everything the right way, got her residency and then received her citizenship. She paid thousands of dollars, studied her butt off for the citizenship test, and eventually became an American citizen. It’s so hard for me to resonate with undocumented people demanding citizenship and now I get labeled as a traitor by people from my own ethnic group. Im sorry but i don’t think you deserve to be a citizen just because you entered illegally or overstayed your visa.

Last edited by philopower; 06-17-2018 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 03:41 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,302,299 times
Immigration is about the only thing I back Trump on (other than that, he's a vulgar man who is alienating our allies). I do want a merit based system although I think the proposed merit system he backed is too strict. I tried to immigrate to Britain (lived there for almost 3 years) but I ultimately failed, so I can sympathise with immigrants here. HOWEVER, this idea that seems to be floating around certain communities that you have a RIGHT to live in the US is bogus. Little sympathy in that area.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:43 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,913,260 times
You said you were born in MX to two US citizens. Then you say your mother was an immigrant. My BS meter is going off.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,400,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
You said you were born in MX to two US citizens. Then you say your mother was an immigrant. My BS meter is going off.
His mother became a US citizen afterward. Confusing how it's worded though.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:48 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,400,043 times
I don't agree there is an absolute right for anyone in the world to come to the USA and be granted whatever they want. There are some who are trying to promote this agenda but I don't agree with it. I feel sorry for people who need to better their lives but their countries should be helping them, OR they should try to get here legally in some way and become a citizen. I also don't agree that all Americans owe something to refugees. Many American citizens are poor and struggling as well.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:49 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,913,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
His mother became a US citizen afterward. Confusing how it's worded though.
After what???

Old 06-17-2018, 04:05 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,149,827 times
I would be very sorry to think that you would vote Republican (assuming that you're a Democrat) over one single non-major issue, siding with a view that is totally lacking in compassion. Obama was already cracking down, but without all the cruelty and grand-standing.

Do keep in mind that, no matter how much Trump blathers about it, immigration is not such a hugely urgent issue - much less important than, say, the environment, voting rights, women's rights, civil rights, etc. I hope that you look at the whole heartless Republican agenda before you vote.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:33 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,062,377 times
you feel resentment towards your ethnic group?

No, but it has changed how people perceive me....without knowing me.

We immigrated to the US in the 1950's. Immigration tried to convince my mother to change my name, but she refused. So when you see my name.....there is no doubt about my foreign origin.

It did not matter in the 70's. Immigration was at a low in the country. People assumed that I spoke and read English. Nobody thought that I was illiterate, poor or at a disadvantage.

Later when the immigration floodgates opened in the late 1990's I started getting visits from churches, social service groups and others that were offering help to "poor" immigrants. They would do a search on ethnic names and mine would pop to the top of the list.

I live in a very nice neighborhood. One day, the doorbell rang and my American wife answered the door. The church group asked if I lived there and my wife said yes. They then offered their services to the "poor immigrant family". She just laughed and said "I don't think he needs any help, but thanks for your offer".

It is a great country. Once when I was on a business trip my wife called in a panic. She said somebody called. They didn't speak a word of English, but wanted to talk to me. She couldn't find out understand why they where calling, but assumed that it must have been friends of my parents. She did manage to get their phone number.

It was AT&T. They were offering me a special plan so I could call back to the home country at a reduced rate. There are no family left in the home country. Lenin, Stalin, and Hitler took care of that.

BUT isn't it a great country when you can get a job with a MAJOR American corporation in AMERICA and not speak a word of English??

Nope, no resentment towards my ethnic group. But a lot of resentment to MY GOVERNMENT that opened the borders so wide open that EVERYBODY assumes I need HELP.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Immigrants can become citizens. My mom became a citizen before I was born.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-17-2018 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 06-17-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I would be very sorry to think that you would vote Republican (assuming that you're a Democrat) over one single non-major issue, siding with a view that is totally lacking in compassion. Obama was already cracking down, but without all the cruelty and grand-standing.

Do keep in mind that, no matter how much Trump blathers about it, immigration is not such a hugely urgent issue - much less important than, say, the environment, voting rights, women's rights, civil rights, etc. I hope that you look at the whole heartless Republican agenda before you vote.
I’m a life long Democrat but yes I’m considering voting republican. It’s a major issue for me because i live in a city that has a huge undocumented immigrant problem. Not to mention that the economy is on steroids right now so I have a further incentive to vote republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies