Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 09:16 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times

Advertisements

I am Mexican. Born in the USA. I have many family members who have come here legally. I am all for people from different countries coming here to make a better life, as long as they do it legally.

However, I see no need for our government to separate families at the borders. Just send the entire family back to their country of origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 09:17 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Philopower, do you really have an ethnicity anymore? Ethnicity fades as a motivation for people the longer they are in America, and is usually replaced by motivations that more cleanly map to one's place in society and one's aspirations.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:18 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I’m a dual citizen of Mexico and America. I was born in Mexico to two American citizen parents so I received both citizenships at birth. I have mad love for Mexico and its people, but even I’m starting to consider voting republican. My mom is an immigrant and she did everything the right way, got her residency and then received her citizenship. She paid thousands of dollars, studied her butt off for the citizenship test, and eventually became an American citizen. It’s so hard for me to resonate with undocumented people demanding citizenship and now I get labeled as a traitor by people from my own ethnic group. Im sorry but i don’t think you deserve to be a citizen just because you entered illegally or overstayed your visa.
Beautiful post, and your mom is symbolic of what makes this nation wonderful. I share your obvious pride in her.

I share your resentment of illegals, and want them deported as often as we find them.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:20 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Uhm, no I try to judge people on the content of their character and not their skin color or ethnicity. Different opinions exist within every ethnic group. The liberal agenda is motivated by people with differing agendas including:
- Those that want open borders for political power (most Democrats seeking power are motivated by this)
- Those that philosophically believe in the concept of open borders (sounds great but has proven to destroy)
- Those that benefit from immigrants (capitalists)

Conservatives on this issue are also motivated from different areas including:
- Those that want laws to be enforced equally
- Those that see their wages and job opportunities decreased by immigration out of control
- Potential security threats
- Loss of power (Republicans in the political realm)

I myself believe we need to enforce our laws or change them. I have no objection to Mexican immigration provided they are screened and that they are not killing job prospects for American workers.

I do hope you consider voting for Trump and Republicans because of their policies.
I would NEVER vote for Trump. I love my country too much to want to see it damaged even more than by what he has already done to it.

I am a liberal Democrat (not extreme left) and I do not want out of control immigration. It takes jobs away from Americans, it brings in criminals because unless the immigrants come LEGALLY, they are not even screened. We need better immigration laws so that people can come here the right way. I am not again anyone coming here--just do it the legal way.

Get a background check, get a medical check, get vaccinations, make sure you have a sponsor so you don't go on welfare or end up in poverty. Come here like other people do--LEGALLY.

There should be no such thing as open borders. That would mean no country. No USA. That should not be our goal. No country is without borders to define its geographical limits. No country is lawless without rules. It doesn't work that way. Look at the mess in Europe because of people streaming in without being vetted. Too many people in too short a time and with no one checking to see who they are. LEARN from what's happening elsewhere.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I'm a Canadian who moved to the USA in 1997. I did get American citizenship in 2008. I have been made to feel like I am not and will never be a true American.

It's changed....there is resentment for any 'new' American.

don't believe the 'legal immigrants' are okay bull you hear.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I would NEVER vote for Trump. I love my country too much to want to see it damaged even more than by what he has already done to it.

I am a liberal Democrat (not extreme left) and I do not want out of control immigration. It takes jobs away from Americans, it brings in criminals because unless the immigrants come LEGALLY, they are not even screened. We need better immigration laws so that people can come here the right way. I am not again anyone coming here--just do it the legal way.

Get a background check, get a medical check, get vaccinations, make sure you have a sponsor so you don't go on welfare or end up in poverty. Come here like other people do--LEGALLY.

There should be no such thing as open borders. That would mean no country. No USA. That should not be our goal. No country is without borders to define its geographical limits. No country is lawless without rules. It doesn't work that way. Look at the mess in Europe because of people streaming in without being vetted. Too many people in too short a time and with no one checking to see who they are. LEARN from what's happening elsewhere.
Good democrat, a rare breed these days.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:30 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

The party and people fighting and publicly advocating for open borders are liberal Democrats. It doesn't matter how centrist you think you are. You're basically voting for your own destruction. Good luck with that.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The party and people fighting and publicly advocating for open borders are liberal Democrats. It doesn't matter how centrist you think you are. You're basically voting for your own destruction. Good luck with that.
Can you show me any policy that states open border?

I've been asking for a few years and have yet to have any real policy asking for 'open' borders.

I hate missing out on things.

Please share.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:33 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
My Mexican relatives are anti-illegals from anywhere. They followed the rules, filled out the forms, paid the fees.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:04 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
My Mexican relatives are anti-illegals from anywhere. They followed the rules, filled out the forms, paid the fees.
Did Russia make you say that?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies