Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:51 PM

672 posts, read 443,197 times

Advertisements

How many plastic starbucks lids wind up in the garbage?
And what do the hypocrites do with their garbage anyway?
At Your Service » Why do we send our garbage to Oregon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 02:56 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
I honestly don't remember the last time I've used a plastic utensil outside of an occasional straw which I could easily do without.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:57 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My son is autistic. He says he can taste the metal from silverware and will only eat with plastic.
There are other options. If you have ever eaten soup in a Japanese restaurant, you will notice that the spoon is usually made of porcelain. The metallic taste is part of why. He might like bamboo utensils. They really are a thing, just like chopsticks.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Plastic bag bans are just the newest liberal crusade to show they are being “progressive” and, of course, to collect money in taxes. There is nothing, nothing wrong with platic bags and utensils. They have talked about these plastic bag ban is where I live and, of course, it’s not really a ban. They just force businesses and ultimately consumers to pay a tax to use a plastic bag. It’s all BS and it’s bad for you. Plastic can be recycled or burned. No need to use anything else unless, of course, you want to.
The proliferation of plastic in the world (most particularly in our oceans) is very much an enormous problem.

You might not care about it (especially if you value convenience over the world's health) - but it is a legitimate and huge problem nonetheless.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
So Seattle doesn't want plastic because it is a danger to our environment and especially Puget Sound. For those that care more about plastic, the simple answer is to not come to Seattle. Problem solved.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:04 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,530,949 times
Quote:
Another dangerous plastic ban: Seattle bans plastic Utensils effective July 1st
I’m not sure how this is dangerous as there are disposable alternatives, as I discovered by doing a quick Amazon search - Wooden cutlery, 100% biodegradable and compostable:

https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Av...70_&dpSrc=srch

The retail price works out to be 8 cents per utensil but I bet the price would be a lot lower if purchased in bulk.

I wouldn’t miss plastic straws as I remember paper straws used to work just fine.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:01 PM

44 posts, read 14,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I've never seen a lot of things. The Artic, Antartica, icebergs, the ocean floor. are they not real.

Where was it declared the island were USA made? It is trash from all the inhabitants of the earth.

I think the easiest and cheapest thing to do is pay for the disposal upfront. We live in a capitalist society. Let the user pay the whole cost. Why should I have to pay for someone else's carelessness?
There was this tsunami thing that happened in Japan a few years back. Maybe you heard of it? All of that refuse is in the ocean. A lot more than just some plastic is headed for western shores for sure.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:29 PM

50,301 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Is all of this an issue because nobody actually cooks at home any longer? Do you all eat carryout all the time? Or are you really stocking your home kitchens with disposables in lieu of actual dishware?
I had a roommate that hated doing dishes so much he bought all paper plates and plastic wares.

Anyway, not sure what people are supposed to do on a vacation where they pick up food to go for say, a picnic? How do you eat potato salad without a spoon or pudding. Maybe they can use cardboard or sawdust and glue spoons?

Old 06-21-2018, 04:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seattle's Ban on Plastic Straws and | Fortune

These plastic bans are very dangerous to the health and welfare of people. Plastic bans have been shown to spread disease and yet the liberals are so concerned about plastic in the ocean they feel the need to implement another ban.

I love plastic myself and can't imagine going out to eat and not having the option of plastic.

Wonder how many people will become sick because they eat with dirty utensils that aren't cleaned properly because of the high minimum wages have kitchen workers spread thin?

Dangerous plastic bag bans were responsible for deadly E-Coli outbreaks for instance.

https://www.the-american-interest.co...e-coli-deaths/

These plastic bans are very dangerous. Many people prefer a clean plastic fork that is protected by plastic over dirty utensils that likely were not cleaned properly and sit on in the open exposed to everyone who passes by germs.
Your concern for my health is very touching, but you can relax. Seattle is banning petroleum-based plastic utensils. Many Seattle fast food and to-go places I frequent are already providing compostable plastic utensils - because enough of their customers complained about the waste of petroleum. Compostable plastics exist and are already readily available. You need to get out of the house more often.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I had a roommate that hated doing dishes so much he bought all paper plates and plastic wares.

Anyway, not sure what people are supposed to do on a vacation where they pick up food to go for say, a picnic? How do you eat potato salad without a spoon or pudding. Maybe they can use cardboard or sawdust and glue spoons?
Well you see -- teaching moment -- lots and lots and lots and lots of options for one use items that are compostable.

You just have to ask.

The internet is so AMAZING......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies