Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 02:59 PM

42,876 posts, read 26,406,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
They still do! In Oregon and NJ.
Nope, Oregon killed that law this year.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:06 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,532,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
As for pumping gas, back in early 1970s, all gas stations had attendants, even the 'cheap' stations (that only sold gas, no oil change, etc) had some guy that would pump your 25 cent per gallon gas.
Speaking of gas stations. A worker used to change the gas prices on the sign by swapping out the numbers either with a long pole or a ladder. Now it's mostly controlled digitally, except for some very old stations that still use the manual method.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:09 PM

50,486 posts, read 47,254,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really? I thought I'd seen something about programming robots, at least for simple tasks, by physically moving them through the motions, IIRC it was welding on an assembly line, maybe 15-20 years ago? I know not far from me there's a hospital doing robotic surgeries which sounds pretty interesting now, I don't know how I'd feel if it was me being cut.
Machine learning is a catch all buzz word. It can be at many levels. Right now for where I work we are looking at an estimated 20 years and that's being hopeful. There are just so many different programming languages now and machine learning for many sectors doesn't make sense. My son is a robot programmer and they are definitely using a more interpretive language than what I use like R or SQL.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:24 PM

68,352 posts, read 54,527,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nope, Oregon killed that law this year.
Oops! I hadn't heard that.

NJ must be so proud! Although I never had any arguments there when I pumped my own into motorcycles.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Machine learning is a catch all buzz word. It can be at many levels. Right now for where I work we are looking at an estimated 20 years and that's being hopeful. There are just so many different programming languages now and machine learning for many sectors doesn't make sense. My son is a robot programmer and they are definitely using a more interpretive language than what I use like R or SQL.

Just curious, a friend used to let me play with MasterCam and a CNC mill and the field fascinates me, what is it you're estimating 20 years for?

Old 06-21-2018, 03:31 PM

558 posts, read 339,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Don't get into coding if you don't want to do any "real thought". It requires lots of thinking. One needs to be creative to succeed at coding. It's not as simple as 'cranking out the code'. It requires deep thinking and creativity to 1) identify the problem 2) solve the problem 3) get the darn thing to work and 4) deploy the code.
The real fun begins when your brilliant code crashes the web site. My last programming job was final line of support. The software bug tracking count was in the millions. My motto was fix one, break two.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:40 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,646,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Democrats knew that the $15 minimum wage they pushed to get their uneducated base to vote for them
would end up costing the duped their jobs.

And here is robo burger flipper 2.0. zero pay,no health care, no overtime pay, no breaks, no sick days,
doesn't steal, works 24hrs with complaining, and he is tax deductible 24hr burger joint that's 3 humans kicked to the curbMAGAKAGA

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursu...t-the-bay-area
Just a question but do you think only Democrats work at minimum wage jobs?
I'm not sure why you take delight in seeing fellow Americans lose their jobs to automation though....but that is the ultimate goal of capitalism...rich get richer and...well you know the rest !

Old 06-21-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Just a question but do you think only Democrats work at minimum wage jobs?
I'm not sure why you take delight in seeing fellow Americans lose their jobs to automation though....but that is the ultimate goal of capitalism...rich get richer and...well you know the rest !

Worked well for Louis XVI and Nicholas II.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:43 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,719,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Democrats knew that the $15 minimum wage they pushed to get their uneducated base to vote for them
would end up costing the duped their jobs.

And here is robo burger flipper 2.0. zero pay,no health care, no overtime pay, no breaks, no sick days,
doesn't steal, works 24hrs with complaining, and he is tax deductible 24hr burger joint that's 3 humans kicked to the curbMAGAKAGA

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursu...t-the-bay-area
I love the ignorance of the right.

McDonalds needs more workers. The New Quarter pounder policy is doing well enough that the company needs to hire more people to actually "cook" the food.

McDonald

Old 06-21-2018, 03:45 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,509,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
The real fun begins when your brilliant code crashes the web site. My last programming job was final line of support. The software bug tracking count was in the millions. My motto was fix one, break two.
Millions? Sounds like crappy development. That or it was a massive code base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.