Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 05:49 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,433,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Democrats knew that the $15 minimum wage they pushed to get their uneducated base to vote for them
would end up costing the duped their jobs.

And here is robo burger flipper 2.0. zero pay,no health care, no overtime pay, no breaks, no sick days,
doesn't steal, works 24hrs with complaining, and he is tax deductible 24hr burger joint that's 3 humans kicked to the curbMAGAKAGA

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursu...t-the-bay-area
Employer and employee can negotiate on their own. $15 may be crazy to you but maybe it isn't to the guy next to you.

Let the free market decide. Get guns out of it.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:54 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That's news to me. The military section full of all my Air Force posts that only current and former Air Force members would know and understand says otherwise.
Please. You thought air force was harder then fast food? LOL

Quote:
Yes they are scared of boot camp. And yes they are scared of taking college courses, so they stick to burger flipping. Paying them more does nothing and they'll just blow the money financing a used Lexus and getting new Rent-to-Own furniture before services and goods increase in order to pay them more, which effectively negates their pay raise and now they'll need $25 an hour.
Or they will be able to actually invest, or afford college without massive debt. GASP!

Quote:
That's if they aren't laid off first
Yeah because all minimum wage workers are bad people, bad at their jobs. What nonsense.

Quote:
Your sob story did nothing for me when I was a burger flipper and it does nothing for current burger flippers. You have two options, military or college, the world owed me nothing and the world owes you nothing.
My sob story? Dont get too confused. I did that before I went to the military, or took any college. I just apparently comprehend that people still are good decent people who work hard - Even if they can't manage college or the military.

I worked harder in a chicken processing plant, and faced more risk of injury then anything else I have ever done outside of actual boot camp. And the pay was....so bad.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,617,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
$15 an hour? Honestly thats not that much money. Median rent is $981 in the us. Take home in my state (Oregon) at that rate would be about 899 every other week.

Source:
https://www.adp.com/tools-and-resour...alculator.aspx

https://www.deptofnumbers.com/rent/us/

So over half your income would go to rent. at $15/hr.
Some people are stuck in 1998 where $7 or $8 was a reasonable amount of money to pay somebody to do a lower level service job part time.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:57 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,216,571 times
Arguments against living wages are essentially arguments for government subsidies to employers. Instead of employers paying their employees a livable wage, the government steps in and pays the difference. You pay higher taxes instead of paying the true value of goods and services. This distorts the market.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:09 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,363,180 times
Quote:
Your point is that poor people are too stupid to quit their burger flipping jobs and join the military or sign up for college courses?

You seem to have a very condescending view of the poor.
Perhaps a mirror is in order here.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:27 PM

18,474 posts, read 7,130,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Mines about $1550.

The rental costs for a house like mine are over 2K

I can find LOTS of data backing up that median rental cost figure. You might not like the FACTS, but they are what they are.

You don't need a house that expensive to live in...depends on the market sure, but if you make 15/hr then your going to have to be content with a smaller place .

Put things in perspective.....

I bought my first house in 1998 for 104k..

My mortgage was less than 700 per month with taxes included.

I made 12.50/hr at the time.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:29 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,439,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Arguments against living wages are essentially arguments for government subsidies to employers. Instead of employers paying their employees a livable wage, the government steps in and pays the difference. You pay higher taxes instead of paying the true value of goods and services. This distorts the market.
Bingo.

Its insane how people can't comprehend this. 1/2 the people on food stamps are employed. Want to see the number of people on welfare drop in half? Pay them a living wage as was the intent of the minimum wage.

Quote:
In his 1933 address following the passage of the National Industrial Recovery Act, President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”
“By ‘business’ I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of decent living,”

Old 06-21-2018, 06:30 PM

47,031 posts, read 26,143,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
I don't flip burgers I flip Stocks, Bonds, Commodities
So - you gamble with value that other people created. Yet you look down on the burger flipper, who manifestly adds value.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:34 PM

47,031 posts, read 26,143,985 times
Quote:
So a poor person is going to be rich because they get paid $15 an hour?
The point went whistling over your head.

A 100% increase in minimum wage led to 1.26% inflation. Neatly demonstrating that "They wouldn't benefit at all as the the price of goods and services from businesses would rise with those wage increase, leading to no real difference" is, well, incorrect.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:34 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,594,634 times
I don't deny that the costs of living are going up, but I don't think raising the minimum wage is the issue because it's not really the problem nor does it appear to be that related to it.

The real questions are:

1.) Why is the cost of living continually going up while.....
2.) Wages stagnate or even go down over the last two decades?

And yes, wondering why this is going on while CEO and executive pay is going up at a higher and higher rate compared to their workers is a good point to bring up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies