Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times

Advertisements

Oh man. Talk about privilege! Conviction for 3 rapes, and you get 3 years? Unbelievable.

This is what the judge said:

Quote:
Ehlke said he had to give Cook credit for having no criminal record, no bail violations and sparing the victims a trial. The judge said he hoped that the end of criminal proceedings against Cook would "give closure" to the victims, the Wisconsin State Journal reported.
Can’t wrap my head around it. And his lawyer actually pushed for probation!!!!!!!!

Former University of Wisconsin student sentenced to 3 years for sexual assaults, choking, stalking - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 05:56 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Its his heterosexual male privilege.

Had he been a homosexual female, who knows what would have happened?

Old 06-22-2018, 06:00 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Yet other people get life without parole for shoplifting or possessing a crack pipe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...violent-crimes

Old 06-22-2018, 06:04 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,512,088 times
Judge needs recalled.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yet other people get life without parole for shoplifting or possessing a crack pipe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...violent-crimes
Quote:
Louisiana, where both Washington and Jackson are held, is one of nine states where prisoners are serving life without parole sentences for non-violent offences (other states with high numbers are Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Oklahoma and South Carolina). An overwhelming proportion of those sentences – as many as 98% in Louisiana – were mandatory: in other words judges had no discretion but to impose the swingeing penalties.
Well, surprise, surprise. The Deep South.

I'm guessing most of those serving life sentences for stealing clothes also happen to be black. Just a hunch.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:09 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh man. Talk about privilege! Conviction for 3 rapes, and you get 3 years? Unbelievable.

This is what the judge said:

Can’t wrap my head around it. And his lawyer actually pushed for probation!!!!!!!!

Former University of Wisconsin student sentenced to 3 years for sexual assaults, choking, stalking - Chicago Tribune
I once thought of going to law school. **** like this is part of why I did not.

That judge needs to share a cell with him, and for a lot longer than three years.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:26 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,842 times
No shock here, sadly. I was born and raised in Wi. Affluent Aqua-Velvas like this Biff-Tad, always skate by. Same with the Bethany-Ambers in that state!
It's sad really

Old 06-22-2018, 06:31 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
The word "rape" is not even used in the article. "Sexual assault" can mean any number of things. We have no idea what specific crimes he committed and therefore no means of assessing whether or not his sentence is just.

Quote:

I'm not surprised.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:38 PM

16,552 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:

This type of leniency comes from liberal appointed judges, not the conservatives. Too bad he didn't get a hanging judge who would have thrown the book at him, and offered a reduced sentence for agreeing to castration.

People wonder how the concept of minimum mandatory sentences ever came about, as sometimes it seems too harsh for non violent crimes that result in a life sentence with 3 strikes.
It is because of "judges" like this who caused our society to take away their liberal discretion.

`

Old 06-22-2018, 07:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
This type of leniency comes from liberal appointed judges, not the conservatives. Too bad he didn't get a hanging judge who would have thrown the book at him, and offered a reduced sentence for agreeing to castration.

People wonder how the concept of minimum mandatory sentences ever came about, as sometimes it seems too harsh for non violent crimes that result in a life sentence with 3 strikes.
It is because of "judges" like this who caused our society to take away their liberal discretion.

`
Yeah. Uh huh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies