Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:23 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,957,401 times

Advertisements

I looked it up, not surprising, its owned by the billionaire Newhouse family, worth almost $20 billion...

https://www.forbes.com/profile/newhouse/

These oligarchs have a vested interest in riling up the masses and cause divisions based on age, religion, race, gender etc. As inequality increases, we will see more radicalism from the media owned by the ruling class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 06:25 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
The author writes satire, comedy and is known for humorous and profane commentary.

https://boingboing.net/2016/08/18/re...y-drew-ma.html

His annual "Why Your Team Sucks" columns are one of the most popular features on Deadspin, in which he roasts every NFL franchise and mocks the weaknesses of both the team and its city

He wrote "The Hater's Guide to the Williams Sonoma Catalog"

https://adequateman.deadspin.com/the...log-1821181135

Old 06-28-2018, 06:25 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I like the old school names especially for boys. Jacob, Jackson, Paul, etc. I think it's humbling for the kid and at the same time may help them be identified more by their actions than their name.
Old school names for me are Robert, Michael, Matthew, Luke, John, Mark (are you seeing a trend here?), Catherine, Caroline, Margaret, Mary, Ann, etc.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
I grew up with a lot of Jennifers, Sophias, Annies, Amy's, and Katies. And Jonathans, Nathans, Peters, and Matthews (sounds like Bible verses lol).

All East Asians.

Oddly enough there were a handful of Tyrones and Dwaynes, too. All Asian as well.

I was born in the 90s, for reference. No one had kreeyaytyve nonsense names. My name was considered unique, despite being a proper name in my mother's country.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Oh, and anyone named Ayden (or anything rhyming with it) is practically destined to be a little chit.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:35 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I grew up with a lot of Jennifers, Sophias, Annies, Amy's, and Katies. And Jonathans, Nathans, Peters, and Matthews (sounds like Bible verses lol).

All East Asians.

Oddly enough there were a handful of Tyrones and Dwaynes, too. All Asian as well.

I was born in the 90s, for reference. No one had kreeyaytyve nonsense names. My name was considered unique, despite being a proper name in my mother's country.
Why is Tyrone or Dwayne odd? Both are of European origin like the rest.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:39 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
I looked it up, not surprising, its owned by the billionaire Newhouse family, worth almost $20 billion...

https://www.forbes.com/profile/newhouse/

These oligarchs have a vested interest in riling up the masses and cause divisions based on age, religion, race, gender etc. As inequality increases, we will see more radicalism from the media owned by the ruling class.
Yeah I just looked up .. some of their titles are New Yorker and Vanity Fair so not too surprising they are part of a huge media company .

They also are the largest shareholder in Reddit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...s_subsidiaries

Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Why is Tyrone or Dwayne odd? Both are of European origin like the rest.
I knew a Dewayne in high school. White as snow. Most people today would likely associate the name with a person of color, but the name is of Irish/Gaelic origin, and my friend had a Irish surname to go with it.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:44 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
Does anyone seriously think white people have the only bizarre baby names? You must live in a bubble.

But let's make everything about race!

Old 06-28-2018, 06:52 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I think I'm in the clear.

In all seriousness (ok, as much as this absurd premise deserves) I don't know if this is suppose to be comedy or virtue signaling or what?

Baby name lists are actually pretty interesting and fun to look at especially when you go decade by decade or by generation.

Most people, regardless of race, are naming their kids based on popularity at the time (as you find out a few decades later) and those top-name lists swing wildly from decade to decade/generation to generation.

I've dated a good deal of girls named Jennifer or Michelle in my life regardless of race (if she's hot I go in). It's not a coincidence though. They were the most popular girl names of the 1970s/Gen X'ers.
Did you read it? Definitely comedy.

I like a distinctive name as much as anyone, but some of those were pretty cringeworthy. People have taken shots at "ghetto names" for decades, so I'm not sure why this is ruffling any feathers.

No_Recess, have you ever read Freakonomics? There's some interesting stuff in there about baby names and how they trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies