Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,654,108 times

Advertisements

Ive been keeping a log to find out how many days are really comfortable weather around here (northern KY), the only thing Im basing it on is whether I need to use heat or A/C to be comfortable.

The days when its truly comfortable are very few and far between, 8 months so far and only about 3% of our weather is comfortable, Humidity and dew point have had more impact on this compared to temperature though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 08:28 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,513,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What action would matter with 7 billion people on the planet? Where were you when the Chinese parked their bicycles in favor of automobiles fairly recently? If this thing is happening, it’s happening and there’s not a damn thing that will stop it. You liberals have this sunny view of humankind, but the reality is it would take WWIII to get people to change.

And if you conservatives are going to argue for your own incompetence and inability to get things done, kindly leave thinking people out of your argument.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:41 AM

25,862 posts, read 16,574,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Conservatives, as long as they have their six pack and tv, don't give a damn about anything that requires actual effort to accomplish.

Imagine if our forefathers sitting around drinking beer all day and solving the world's problems from their bar stool.
I think most people will do what they can but as a whole, unless you are willing to completely redesign everything about our society at great cost I dont think profound changes are possible. For thousands of years human beings were born, lived their life and died no farther than 9 miles from their birthplace. Now we are on the move constantly and burning fossil fuels while doing so. The sky is full of planes full of people taking trips that are mostly avoidable. The oceans are being zig zag crossed by container ships full of products that could be made where they are headed.

The population has increased by 6 billion since and because of the advent of oil. The worlds population was a constant at around 1 billion for at least a thousand years prior. Most of us are here because of oil.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:43 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,868,248 times
Quote:
I think most people will do what they can but as a whole, unless you are willing to completely redesign everything about our society at great cost I dont think profound changes are possible. For thousands of years human beings were born, lived their life and died no farther than 9 miles from their birthplace. Now we are on the move constantly and burning fossil fuels while doing so. The sky is full of planes full of people taking trips that are completely avoidable. The oceans are being zig zag crosses by container ships full of products that could be made where they are headed.
True but we can promote research for technology of renewable energy.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
True but we can promote research for technology of renewable energy.
Renewable energy is great, but the costs are high. The roads are still packed with Suburbans and Explorers with only one occupant on my drive to work, most of those folks believe much more in climate change than I.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 AM

68,352 posts, read 54,513,644 times
Quote:
Renewable energy is great, but the costs are high.

In the 1850s gold was $664/kg and aluminum was $1200/kg. Gee, WHY doesn't your beer come in a gold can? The answer is those who don't give up find solutions to problems.

Quote:
The roads are still packed with Suburbans and Explorers with only one occupant on my drive to work, most of those folks believe much more in climate change than I.

Where does one get this mystical machine that reads the thoughts of those on the road?

Old 07-04-2018, 09:49 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,900,247 times
Quote:
Conservatives, as long as they have their six pack and tv, don't give a damn about anything that requires actual effort to accomplish.

Imagine if our forefathers sitting around drinking beer all day and solving the world's problems from their bar stool.
LMAO. Most farmers are conservatives. Always have been. I would say that they understand challenge intimately.
I am a right leaning independent. My beliefs are conservative, yet my home is built to be as green as possible.
Im green not because I believe what the alleged experts say, but because I like clean air, I like saving money and I likening as energy independent as possible. My house in the states was built with the same ideals in mind.
Unlike the elitists on the left who talk about what we all should do, but do the opposite, I actually put my money where my mouth is and did it, not once but twice.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:52 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,184,634 times
Quote:
Renewable energy is great, but the costs are high.

Not true. Solar and wind have the lowest cost of energy, cheaper than oil, coal and nuclear.

Renewable Electricity Levelized Cost Of Energy Already Cheaper Than Fossil Fuels, And Prices Keep Plunging - Energy Innovation: Policy and Technology

The reason is obvious. Once you build a gas or coal plant, you have to keep buying the raw fuel to run it. With solar and wind, once built, you don't have to pay for the "fuel" to run it: nature supplies it for free.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:54 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,259,247 times
Quote:
Well isn't that special? God sure likes to torture his creation. Powering our world with oil was a great sin, huh? At any rate, even god knows global warming is a real thing. Go tell your conservative evangelical friends.
Excuseme, I need to go drive a mile long oil train with six engines attached. Trust me I will use notch eight just to have them belch out copious amounts of black exhaust.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In the 1850s gold was $664/kg and aluminum was $1200/kg. Gee, WHY doesn't your beer come in a gold can? The answer is those who don't give up find solutions to problems.

Where does one get this mystical machine that reads the thoughts of those on the road?
You’re obsessed with beer. I don’t even drink beer. Why are you trying to turn a civil discussion into something bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies