Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:36 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
More to hit tonight.
Putin wanted Trump to win. Putin owns Trump. Trump is Putin's puppet.
Putin also wants the trade wars more than anyone, because it will probably lead to USD to lose its position as worlds reserve currency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 04:54 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
In 2017, the US imported $602 billion in generic drugs, televisions, clothing, and other household items. It only exported $198 billion of consumer goods. By purchasing goods overseas for a long enough, U.S. companies lose the expertise and even the factories to make those products. Just try finding a pair of shoes made in the America. As the US loses competitiveness, it outsources more jobs, and its standard of living declines. Big business gets richer as you're willing to be paid less to have a job. It hurts Americans who need jobs but globalist don't want you to know that.

You may not want to believe it because of what the left tells you but Trump is standing up for and fighting for a better quality of life for Americans.
This ^^^^

There will be some short term pain in restructuring our trade imbalances, but Trump is going for the long term GAIN.
Career politicians only look to solve things in short term election cycles, they don’t plan for long term solutions as it doesn’t benefit them politically. Thus we have broken and incompetent government where problems like healthcare, trade imbalances, debt, and immigration never get adequately dealt with.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't remember hearing any previous President mention anything about this. I doubt that most people are even aware that foreign countries have been using America as their Piggy bank for decades.

Why did it take the American mid-west to be literally destroyed economically before a President came along to address the issue of unfair trade?
You are basing much of your perceptions on what trump thinks which isnt always factual ,in this case all his moaning about how the rest of the world is taking advantage of poor little America is all bs meant solely to legitimize his uncalled for tariffs.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:25 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Which they have to do because milk is heavily subsidized in the US. Not sure why Americans wouldn't support tariffs on American milk. I sure don't want my tax dollars being used to buy milk for Canadians.

Every president has lifted or added tariffs. None of them have been dumb enough to take it towards trade war level.
Actually, there is no tariff on the milk that is currently imported to Canada. The USA does not currently dump the over supply of milk in Canada.

Trump has completely misrepresented the situation to rile up his people. If he was truthful, he would state that the USA exports milk to Canada and there is no tariff. If the USA tries to dump the heavily subsidized over supply of milk in Canada, the USA will pay a tariff of 270%.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:31 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
He is not the only president to mention it but he is the first to try and repair a Swiss watch with a sledge hammer.
Trump has pointed out that almost EVERY country that trades with the United States imposes massive tariffs or trade barriers on our products. Not just a few countries like China.

I wonder if our Presidents of the last 30 years knew that this was happening with practically every country, but just ignored it for the most part. Or they felt like they couldn’t do much about it. I never heard any previous President explain this to the American people in a comprehensive way.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I wonder if our Presidents of the last 30 years knew that this was happening with practically every country, but just ignored it for the most part. Or they felt like they couldn’t do much about it.
They have negotiated trade agreements. For example TPP would have cut tariffs by 90%. Trump is the first to think punishing American consumer is the only solution.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:41 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
I don't remember hearing any previous President mention anything about this. I doubt that most people are even aware that foreign countries have been using America as their Piggy bank for decades.

Why did it take the American mid-west to be literally destroyed economically before a President came along to address the issue of unfair trade?
Obama mentioned the trade imbalance and said it needed to be resolved, he was just a feckless president. Biden and Geithner also said this was a problem, but the Obama Administration was more about looking good than getting actual results.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-t...ade-imbalance/

He isn't the first candidate to mention this either.

Hillary, Bernie, Ross Perot to name a few have all spoken out. Now cynically, you might say Hillary has held every position on trade you have no idea what she would do, which is true.

https://www.npr.org/sections/itsallp...ution-on-trade

Ross Perot was right - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Bernie Sanders on China

Bernie Sanders on Trade

Old 07-06-2018, 05:43 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Trump loves America, unlike swamp politicians who love the deals they get by selling America out.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
He's not -- it's the only time you have listened.

Please don't make this like it is something new just because you have discovered it -- lol.

Trade tariffs have been a part of every administration since as long as I can remember.

Soft wood, dairy, wheat, cars, etc......

Nothing new here -- nothing new at all.
Ding ding ding ding!! We have a winner!

It's like Trump saying he's the first person to mention immigration .

That said, Trump is the first to blow the situation way out of proportion so I'll give him that.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:46 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:

goggle it. A favorite talking point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies