Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,122,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences. We as African Americans appreciate it when others take note of the obvious without trying to make it seem like we bring it on ourselves.

That having been said, such truth is not going to create any converts. Racist people and conservatives, which are not always synonymous, have mantras and beliefs that can only be maintained under the premise of black inherent inferiority. If blacks are not inherently inferior, then there reasoning and beliefs would have no foundation on which to stand. Ergo, black being unequal, socioeconomically, cannot be seen as the result/aftermath/consequence/reaction/legacy/etc, of being treated unequally historically, but rather, the result/consequence of being inherently inferior.

Hence, no matter if you present studies, personal experiences, etc, history.......regardless of how clear the evidence and argument of discrimination and abused BASED/MOTIVATED by race, it will be seen as an excuse to cover up our inherent inferiority. I mean, today nothing done against black people is due to race or racism. It can't be because that would make liberals "right" and a conservative cannot give a liberal that ground. It can't be because a racist needs to see blacks as inferior and hence their mistreatment being justified by their inferior nature.
Well, I'm a civil engineer. Part of what we do is go out and evaluate conditions of roads, sidewalks, bridges, gutters, etc. People call the police on our black engineers and surveyors all the time. Most of the time people just show their ID and move on. Hence you never hear about those cases. We also tend not to bring it up because there are always people who will not believe it because it never happens to them.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:05 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,495,443 times
It seems like with many of the media stories like the girl selling water in SF there was no clear indication that it was race based. Media is now assuming whenever a white person calls on a nonwhite it’s race motivated .
CNN especially definitely seems to push that narrative . See “whites are still really racist ...” you need an ally like Hillary Clinton to fight for you against racism and “white privilege” ..

I don’t believe the lady said anything about her race . People pay a fortune to live in San Francisco her rent was likely $3000 a month . Median home price is $1.6 million . She was probably didn’t want things to get out of control with a bunch of illegal street vending.

There is a reason there are permits and licenses for things .

I’m wondering though are there zero cases of where black people are calling the cops on nonblack people ?

I wouldn’t be surprised if black people do get the cops called on them more due to their much higher crime rates in general but it’s also going to depend on the neighborhood too .
People should really think before just calling the cops on someone.. but on the other hand not calling ever isn’t the answer either.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,071,948 times
I'm going to park this here;

FBI UCR

Arrests

by Race and Ethnicity, 2016

[13,049 agencies; 2016 estimated population 257,112,535]

Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,722,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Well, I'm a civil engineer. Part of what we do is go out and evaluate conditions of roads, sidewalks, bridges, gutters, etc. People call the police on our black engineers and surveyors all the time. Most of the time people just show their ID and move on. Hence you never hear about those cases. We also tend not to bring it up because there are always people who will not believe it because it never happens to them.

I think your point is outstanding. There is a false perception that black people are always crying racism at every opportunity. The truth is that most of us are silent about our perceived experiences with racism. We are NOT always bringing it up relative to how many times we think we are experiencing it. We, like you indicated, just mostly move on. Keep in mind also that a person might be discriminated against and not even realize it. You don't know if that resume you sent was rejected because your name sounds "African American" or whether that apartment you called to check on was really "just rented" and not available. I would even argue that most racism that happens is not detected by the victims.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:18 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,122,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Really? You've made a lot of posts indicating a realistic view of race. But now you're going to latch onto this silly calling-the-police-while-white meme?
Here is the scenario. A black guy in work vest and hard hat holding surveying equipment is marking elevations. 30 feet away from him there are a dozen guys in work vests and hard hats doing construction work. Then a cop comes by and goes right up to the only black guy there and wants to see his ID because someone reported a suspicious person in the neighborhood. How would you react to this?

Exactly what happened to one of our surveyors. I was there. Since then, I've heard many similar stories from my black coworkers. I believe them because I saw it happened before.

How on earth can you think a guy wearing construction clothing and hard hat marking out elevations 30 feet away from a bunch of guys doing construction work "suspicious"?

Old 07-06-2018, 09:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,495,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Here is the scenario. A black guy in work vest and hard hat holding surveying equipment is marking elevations. 30 feet away from him there are a dozen guys in work vests and hard hats doing construction work. Then a cop comes by and goes right up to the only black guy there and wants to see his ID because someone reported a suspicious person in the neighborhood. How would you react to this?

Exactly what happened to one of our surveyors. I was there. Since then, I've heard many similar stories from my black coworkers. I believe them because I saw it happened before.

How on earth can you think a guy wearing construction clothing and hard hat marking out elevations 30 feet away from a bunch of guys doing construction work "suspicious"?
Yeah that sounds pretty dumb. What city was this in ?

Old 07-06-2018, 09:28 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,722,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that sounds pretty dumb. What city was this in ?

Anycity USA.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 AM

482 posts, read 242,972 times
White people are more likely to call the police on blacks for no reason because blacks are more likely to commit crimes. A lot more likely.

It sucks, but that is the reality of this topic regardless of how many ways one tries to spin it. I live in an area where there are lots of Russian immigrants, and the second people hear that accent, they are looked at the same way as those in the black community because they also commit disproportionate amounts of crime in my city. It is what it is.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,071,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
White people are more likely to call the police on blacks for no reason because blacks are more likely to commit crimes. A lot more likely.

It sucks, but that is the reality of this topic regardless of how many ways one tries to spin it. I live in an area where there are lots of Russian immigrants, and the second people hear the accent, they are looked at the same way as those in the black community because they also commit disproportionate amounts of crime. It is what it is.
How many times are people going to post this crap in one thread. So sad that folks are truly brain washed.

Just for you as well

Old 07-06-2018, 09:33 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,848,148 times
People have been calling the police on people over nothing for a long time. It amazes but does not surprise me, that some people still think this only occurs to blacks (or insert your victim group here).

I am as white as white can be and have had the police called on me for no reason, other than being "suspicious", lol. Car broke down? Oh yes, I am suspicious because I am hanging around a closes store in a strip mall. Out in a pick-up truck driving at 3 in the morning? Oh yes, must be drunk of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies