Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,396,963 times

Advertisements

This document gives some additional background: Scrutinising the 2018 WHA Resolution on IYCF: How to Salvage?

And this paragraph sums up the problem:

Quote:
Initially led by Ecuador, Member States had four meetings and eventually established a draft consensus text before the WHA that aimed to safeguard 5 critical areas – the Baby-friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI), implementation and monitoring of Code and relevant WHA resolutions, WHO Guidance on ending inappropriate promotion of foods for infants and Young children (the 2016 WHO Guidance), appropriate infant and young child feeding in emergencies, and conflicts of interest in nutrition programmes.
Essentially, the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative and the International Code of Marketing Breast-Milk Substitutes steps on the toes of American companies like Mead Johnson, which produces Enfamil. The resolution would have squelched marketing via techniques like hospital placement of formula packs and other direct and indirect marketing campaigns to new mothers. The products would have been available, but the companies would have been left with no way to advertise them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 03:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,396,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My daughter owns a health food business. Believe me, she eats healthy. Takes all her supplements. At the time she became pregnant with youngest son, she had weaned oldest who had just turned two and long since had her figure back. Youngest son was constantly hungry and demanding, nursing every hour on the hour. She was advised to increase her calories to keep up with the needed milk production. This prevented her weight loss, and with a crying latched baby she was unable to go to the gym. I spent every weekend at their house for the first year of his life, and I know!!!! He's now 20 months old, but still cries for "boob". I tell her, "Wean him!!!" He's with me most of the time during the week and doesn't even ask for it, but when his mom comes home from her business...he wants it, constantly, all night long. I say cut the boob supply off and be done with it.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone by admitting to using formula (I'm not ashamed of it)...but a few weeks after oldest DD's birth I was back in my pre-pregnancy clothes and bras (and my bikini in less than two months). On the other hand, a cousin who breastfed had watermelon sized boobs, was leaking milk, and still wearing her husband's shirts until almost the baby's first birthday. That soured me on breastfeeding (no pun intended).
In other words, there is an on-going problem that needs addressed, and it's quite possible she does need to wean him at this point. A healthy twenty-month-old should not be nursing all night long. He should not be nursing during the night at all.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:04 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,238,251 times
Quote:
Let's worry only about the U.S., which is NOT a third world country...and how to keep it that way.

Like I posted, I (and the friends I mentioned) gave birth during the Reagan administration (early to mid 80's). We were of the attitude that if you breastfed you were: a.) A Hippie Dippy earth mother type with unshaved legs and armpits, stringy hair and Bergenstock sandals (or fantasizing about being one); or b.) Too LOW INCOME to afford formula. We didn't want to breastfeed because we thought it would enlarge our breasts to balloon size and leak all over our clothes (I had a cousin who this happened to all the time). Our DH's could get up and help with the nightly feedings so we could sleep. We didn't have to leave the room or "cover up" when it was time to feed. And we gave our kids solids WAY sooner than they recommend now, as our mothers did for us. We lived. And thrived. So did our kids who we did the same for.

Fast forward to oldest DD. NOT an "Earth Mother" type by any means, and definitely NOT low income. She breastfed two kids, oldest until age two. But as far as I can see, they are no healthier than their mom or aunt. What I CAN see is how exhausted she was, how she battled with her weight because of lack of exercise and a high calorie diet, and how she literally had a baby latched on her boob for two solid years, sometimes every hour on the hour. She hadn't had a complete night's sleep in four years.

Once, I saw her DH so worried and upset about how exhausted she was, he was ready to go out to pick up a can of formula at the Rite Aid.
I, too, gave birth to two during the Reagan administration and had a totally different experience. My Dr encouraged breastfeeding and natural childbirth. I nursed both kids until they started to walk and became more interested in moving around and exploring than breastfeeding. This was pretty much true for all the moms I knew. Perhaps we were a little hippie dippie there in high income suburban Boston. Breastfeeding was one of my most cherished experiences of motherhood. My professional daughter and daughter-in-law also breastfeed my grandbabies as well.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:06 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,238,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
So do all judges in this country hate babies too since they separate the parents from their children when they commit crimes? Hell, child services can just take your kids if your house is too messy, does child services hate babies too? The insanity being shown by Left leaners is full blown idiocy and downright crazy.
Big difference between a murderer/felon than a first time misdemeanor charge.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Big difference between a murderer/felon than a first time misdemeanor charge.

Only first offense is misdemeanor, repeated illegal entry is a felony. So separation of families for felons is ok? So you're saying some of the family separations on the border are ok? You know, all the ones that are felonies.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:21 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This must have been put out on liberal media because now the tools are parroting it. There's 2 threads about this.
It's being reported around the world in all media.

Can't help if your limited little bubble didn't see the story until you got here.

That's on you.

You can't defend the policy so you attack those that are concerned about the policy.

That's a Trump strategy.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:38 PM

10,250 posts, read 6,341,740 times
Quote:
Let's worry only about the U.S., which is NOT a third world country...and how to keep it that way.

Like I posted, I (and the friends I mentioned) gave birth during the Reagan administration (early to mid 80's). We were of the attitude that if you breastfed you were: a.) A Hippie Dippy earth mother type with unshaved legs and armpits, stringy hair and Bergenstock sandals (or fantasizing about being one); or b.) Too LOW INCOME to afford formula. We didn't want to breastfeed because we thought it would enlarge our breasts to balloon size and leak all over our clothes (I had a cousin who this happened to all the time). Our DH's could get up and help with the nightly feedings so we could sleep. We didn't have to leave the room or "cover up" when it was time to feed. And we gave our kids solids WAY sooner than they recommend now, as our mothers did for us. We lived. And thrived. So did our kids who we did the same for.

Fast forward to oldest DD. NOT an "Earth Mother" type by any means, and definitely NOT low income. She breastfed two kids, oldest until age two. But as far as I can see, they are no healthier than their mom or aunt. What I CAN see is how exhausted she was, how she battled with her weight because of lack of exercise and a high calorie diet, and how she literally had a baby latched on her boob for two solid years, sometimes every hour on the hour. She hadn't had a complete night's sleep in four years.

Once, I saw her DH so worried and upset about how exhausted she was, he was ready to go out to pick up a can of formula at the Rite Aid.
Hardly. I gave birth to my daughter in NYC in 1984. When they came around with those Enfamil packages in the hospital, I said to the nurses that I used to work for Bristol Myers Corporate in Manhattan which was a subsidiary of Mead Johnson manufacturer of Enfamil. Keep it I told them. I was going to breastfed my daughter. Hippie? Too poor to afford formula?

As it turned out, my daughter had/still has major allergies to both cows milk, and soy. So bad that I myself could not drink cows milk or use soy sauce while nursing her, or she would double up in pain screaming with very loose stools.

Her Pediatrician recommended back then that if I wanted to supplement breastmilk to give her GOATS MILK, not any formula, since it was closest to human milk. After she weaned, that was all she drank her entire childhood. Today as an adult she only uses almond milk or goats milk. She also only gives both to her young sons. Her 2 year old son still nurses daily, and her 4 year old son still nurses occasionally.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:50 PM

10,250 posts, read 6,341,740 times
The more women who breastfed the less profits there are for the Pharms. As a former employee, I can understand why Trump would want to discourage breastfeeding.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:54 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,988,583 times
Does anyone else find it very weird that Trump and Co. only backed down once Mother Russia stepped up to the plate?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:02 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,328,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Does anyone else find it very weird that Trump and Co. only backed down once Mother Russia stepped up to the plate?

I saw that and thought the same thing. What the heck do they have on Trump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies