Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Feminists claim have "taken" the word, as it refers to the female anatomy, and made it their own to use with pride in one of the stupidest attempts of reverse psychology I've ever witnessed.

LOL Reminds me of the movie Clerks 2 when that white guy says he's taking the term "porch monkey" back for white people.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:04 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Bingo.

Again, how easy is it NOT to say the n-word? Pretty easy......for folks who don't want to say it.
but those who have to say it..

they argue about "double standards" and ALWAYS find a way to tell a story where someone else used it. Its just a way to say it in front of people.

These folks are sick in the head.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:05 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
but those who have to say it..

they argue about "double standards" and ALWAYS find a way to tell a story where someone else used it. Its just a way to say it in front of people.

These folks are sick in the head.
This isn't a case of someone who always has to say it though, so why are you making it about something it's not about?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Feminists claim have "taken" the word, as it refers to the female anatomy, and made it their own to use with pride in one of the stupidest attempts of reverse psychology I've ever witnessed.
Pretty sure the Scottish took that word years ago.

I don't have an issue with it unless a man is calling me one of those. Same with the b-word. I am totally cool with anyone using that word unless someone is using it toward me in anger.

So, the Samantha Bee thing wound up with her issuing an apology because she did use it in what one could argue was anger. I'm mixed on it because I just don't care what one white chick calls another white chick.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:10 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Sounds like they're emulating what blacks have done with the *N* word. So men can't use it in that context but women can? Brilliant!

Will they come out with a song where they use the word 60+ times as Jay-Z has done with the *N* word in The Story of O.J.?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Pretty sure the Scottish took that word years ago.

I don't have an issue with it unless a man is calling me one of those. Same with the b-word. I am totally cool with anyone using that word unless someone is using it toward me in anger.

So, the Samantha Bee thing wound up with her issuing an apology because she did use it in what one could argue was anger. I'm mixed on it because I just don't care what one white chick calls another white chick.
I'm not so sure that what Bee issued was really an apology at all. Seemed more like a segue back into her usual snarky discourse.

"You know, a lot of people were offended and angry that I used an epithet to describe the president's daughter and adviser last week. It is a word I have used on the show many times, hoping to reclaim it. This time, I used it as an insult. I crossed the line. I regret it and I do apologize for that. The problem is that many women have heard that word at the worst moments of their lives. A lot of them don't want that word reclaimed. They want it gone, and I don't blame them. I don't want to inflict more pain on them. I want this show to be challenging and I want it to be honest, but I never intended it to hurt anyone, except Ted Cruz. Many men were also offended by my use of the word. I do not care about that. I hate that this distracted from more important issues. I hate that I did something to contribute to the nightmare of 24-hour news cycles that we're all white-knuckling through. I should have known that a potty-mouthed insult would be inherently more interesting to them than juvenile immigration policy. I would do anything to help those kids. I hate that this distracted from them, so to them, I am also sorry. And look, if you are worried about the death of civility, don't sweat it. I'm a comedian. People who hone their voices in basement bars while yelling back at drunk hecklers are definitely not paragons of civility. I am, I'm really sorry that I said that word, but you know what? Civility is just nice words. Maybe we should all worry a little bit more about the niceness of our actions. Ok. Thanks for listening."

The truth is that in America, just as with the "n word", the "c word" is considered a vulgar slur. The reasons are different but the offense is the same. Trying to justify use of one word while condemning the other is just plain dishonest. Basic rules apply: if it's hurtful and rude, don't use it.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:19 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Yes, that is absolutely what Pilot1 is saying. The hypocrisy is mind-boggling.

Trump, the sitting President of the United States, insults women, pokes fun at veteran POWs, says sitting Congressman and women have a "very Low-IQ," calls nancy Pelosi "Pocahontas." Trump voters are okay with him insulting people and disrespecting veterans, and in fact many of them cheer it.

A high-profile public figure uses the n-word, Trump voters say "people are overly sensitive" and "need to grow up."

unbelievable.
Senator Elizabeth Warren, not Nancy Pelosi.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I'm not so sure that what Bee issued was really an apology at all. Seemed more like a segue back into her usual snarky discourse.

"You know, a lot of people were offended and angry that I used an epithet to describe the president's daughter and adviser last week. It is a word I have used on the show many times, hoping to reclaim it. This time, I used it as an insult. I crossed the line. I regret it and I do apologize for that. The problem is that many women have heard that word at the worst moments of their lives. A lot of them don't want that word reclaimed. They want it gone, and I don't blame them. I don't want to inflict more pain on them. I want this show to be challenging and I want it to be honest, but I never intended it to hurt anyone, except Ted Cruz. Many men were also offended by my use of the word. I do not care about that. I hate that this distracted from more important issues. I hate that I did something to contribute to the nightmare of 24-hour news cycles that we're all white-knuckling through. I should have known that a potty-mouthed insult would be inherently more interesting to them than juvenile immigration policy. I would do anything to help those kids. I hate that this distracted from them, so to them, I am also sorry. And look, if you are worried about the death of civility, don't sweat it. I'm a comedian. People who hone their voices in basement bars while yelling back at drunk hecklers are definitely not paragons of civility. I am, I'm really sorry that I said that word, but you know what? Civility is just nice words. Maybe we should all worry a little bit more about the niceness of our actions. Ok. Thanks for listening."

The truth is that in America, just as with the "n word", the "c word" is considered a vulgar slur. The reasons are different but the offense is the same. Trying to justify use of one word while condemning the other is just plain dishonest. Basic rules apply: if it's hurtful and rude, don't use it.
Would you like to tell Trump not to call people rude names, or do you want me to do it?

He's really been setting the tone. You see this, right?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:26 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Would you like to tell Trump not to call people rude names, or do you want me to do it?

He's really been setting the tone. You see this, right?
I 100% don't approve of Trump's frothing douchiness. I disagree that he's "setting a tone" however; I think many people use ANY excuse to behave like aholes and subscribe to the "if he did it, so can I" philosophy so popular with small children.

Case in point: Trump has nothing to do with Papa John using the n word, or Samantha Bee using the c word, and yet you've introduced him here as the man responsible for their bad behavior. I disagree in large part because I was raised to be accountable for myself at all times.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I 100% don't approve of Trump's frothing douchiness. I disagree that he's "setting a tone" however; I think many people use ANY excuse to behave like aholes and subscribe to the "if he did it, so can I" philosophy so popular with small children.

Case in point: Trump has nothing to do with Papa John using the n word, or Samantha Bee using the c word, and yet you've introduced him here as the man responsible for their bad behavior. I disagree in large part because I was raised to be accountable for myself at all times.
I do think that presidents set the tone nationwide.

I don't think it is their FAULT when someone behaves in a rude manner, though.

Just wanted to clarify. Because you cannot, as a leader, expect more from your constituents than you do from yourself.

He will sink to pretty much any depths, it seems. He cannot be aggravated if others see this as an invitation to do the same.

Of course it is not his actual fault. They are, as you said, responsible for their own actions.

But, it is worth consideration because he tends to expect that they should behave better than he's willing to behave.

I find that very strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies