Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times

Advertisements

First off to the mods, please don’t merge this thread with the other NK threads. It has a different focus and has to do with diplomacy and the tying together actions to a goal as opposed to the specific situation. Thanks

Ok, so let’s go back to last winter/spring China has finally agreed to join the rest of the world in tightening the restrictions on North Korea. In March, Kim goes to China. Many believe that the tightening of sanctions was the purpose of the meeting. Kim was looking for relief. After these meetings Kim makes conciliatory moves to the US. In the reality show that passes for the US government, trump sees a big ratings event by meeting with Kim, with no preset conditions. First mistake. When you have a meeting you need an agenda and you need to let each person know what the goal of the meeting is.

So trump meets with Kim, great guy, great leader, they can do a deal. The Chinese begin to talk of easing sanctions. Why? Most likely because they got what they wanted, that trump said he would ease our sanctions against ZTE in return for the Chinese help with sanctions. However, it is a deal that is never finalized.
Now, the meeting has turned into nothing. No remains, no movement on nuclear, except forward.
Then with his trade war, trump goes right at the Chinese and they will most likely start buying coal from NK again because why should they help someone who is at ‘war’ with them, even trade war.

Many of the Cult will go back to the heated rhetoric of 6 months ago with Rocket Man and Flames and whatever. But the fact is that the lack of knowledge around the situation and series of events show why trump was taken in so easily. I didn’t even bring up the fact that in the middle of all this trump hires John Bolton, one of the neocon geniuses that helped to bring us the current $hitshow in Iraq and a war hawk of epic proportions.
So the NK meeting was a giant nothingburger. Kim gets the prestige he was seeking by meeting a world leader in front of the camera, the Chinese get to make us look like fools, and it’s all back to square one.

This is most likely why a meeting like that has never taken place under previous administrations. Many here and other places have opined that they ‘couldn’t get it done’ when in fact they knew there was nothing to get done.

This is part of the problem with trump and his administration. They are a bunch of tough talking neophytes who have no clue what they are doing. They’re like the kid you knew in high school talking about all the ‘chicks’ he got in the locker room, but you know he has never even kissed a girl.
My biggest fear it that this same kind of wing it attitude is going on in several departments and several levels of the government. It has been well documented how trump has been unable to fill open positions in the administration and we can see what a disaster some of those appointments have been. We have no idea right now what else is being screwed up and what the repercussions of those poor choices will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 10:43 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Try spaces between paragraphs next time

Old 07-12-2018, 10:46 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Try spaces between paragraphs next time
I did when I wrote it but it didn't post that way. Edit let me do it though, thanks

Old 07-12-2018, 10:58 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I did when I wrote it but it didn't post that way. Edit let me do it though, thanks
Much easier to read now.

On topic, I think the maximum pressure campaign has been working on North Korea, Kim recently sent a letter to Trump a couple days ago which at least shows that he is trying to keep positive relations. I believe the goal has been clear from the beginning, to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula.

Trump is trying to thread the needle with China and North Korea, no easy task. It’s too early in the process to judge one way or the other but I would say the results have been positive so far. You obviously disagree and that’s fine too.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb NK and the price of ignorance

It's obvious that tRump is very proud of his ignorance. That, coupled to his dangerous stupidity, could lead to disaster. Let's all hope that Kelly and Mattis can keep him away from any big red buttons.

He still hasn't figured out that Kim is enabled and guided by Xi and Putin. Both tyrants LOVE having him constantly needle the US, SK and Japan. Despite any sanctions, they'll see to it that Kim will always get what he needs.

After all, do any of you REALLY think NK developed those nukes and missiles themselves?

They know they're dealing with a "stable genius."

Old 07-12-2018, 02:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Much easier to read now.

On topic, I think the maximum pressure campaign has been working on North Korea, Kim recently sent a letter to Trump a couple days ago which at least shows that he is trying to keep positive relations. I believe the goal has been clear from the beginning, to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula.

Trump is trying to thread the needle with China and North Korea, no easy task. It’s too early in the process to judge one way or the other but I would say the results have been positive so far. You obviously disagree and that’s fine too.
Kim wants his cake and eat it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies