Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 02:59 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times

Advertisements

911: 911, What's your emergency?
Caller: I've been watching a young man, a young black kid, taking papers from my neighbors homes.
911: OK, he's taking papers from your neighbors?
Caller: Yes, it appears he's been doing it for a long time, the bag he's carrying over his shoulder, is quite full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 03:05 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
A few possibilities:

1) They were afraid of being accused of being a racist if they asked a black kid what he was doing.

2) They were afraid the kid would pull a Travon on them and assault them if they asked.

3) They have been told that they should not get involved and just let the police do their jobs.
Jesus. ^^ This is the problem, people. You’re saying a little paper boy might have beat up someone like Trayvon did when he was stalked?

Old 07-15-2018, 03:18 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Live every other media outlet -- one ad before the story.

But as to him picking up the papers -- why didn't the grown up who called the police not approach the child and ask what he was doing.

No wonder out police are incompetent -- having to come to pools to kick out folks who have a right to be there, coming to a student center to question a student of color for napping.......

The police should not respond to these ridiculous calls.
Progressivism at it's finest. Why solve your own problems when government can?

Old 07-15-2018, 03:59 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Some people have too much time on their hands and too little sense. I got the police called on me while I was watering new sod.
I've had police called on me for taking photographs before from public property.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
In my town, you don’t call the cops unless you need a soldier. Stealing newspapers ( even though he wasn’t ) doesn’t qualify for an ARMED response.
The caller didn't even know that it was newspapers being taken. She just saw a kid getting our of a van, taking something from neighbor's porches, and getting back in the van. Should she have walked up to the van with unknown people inside (suspected thieves) and confronted them herself? Why even have a police force if you can't call them in that situation?

Old 07-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Unsurprising to call the cops for someone taking newspapers? Really? In what world do you live in that that type of situation warrants calling the cops? That is beyond paranoid & a complete waste of time & money. Give me a break.
I live in a world (a country actually) where theft is unusual and not regarded as a trivial matter. People in my neighborhood wouldn't be instantly suspicious of someone picking things up from outside houses. They would assume it was something routine. But if it did become known that there was theft going on in the area you can bet they would be vigilant and call the cops about anything suspicious. There would be announcements from the police warning them and instructing them to call.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:21 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I live in a world (a country actually) where theft is unusual and not regarded as a trivial matter. People in my neighborhood wouldn't be instantly suspicious of someone picking things up from outside houses. They would assume it was something routine. But if it did become known that there was theft going on in the area you can bet they would be vigilant and call the cops about anything suspicious. There would be announcements from the police warning them and instructing them to call.
Mmmm, and is that what was going on in this situation?

Old 07-15-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
911: 911, What's your emergency?
Caller: I've been watching a young man, a young black kid, taking papers from my neighbors homes.
911: OK, he's taking papers from your neighbors?
Caller: Yes, it appears he's been doing it for a long time, the bag he's carrying over his shoulder, is quite full.
In reality:
Quote:
"I noticed they were walking up to houses with nothing in hand and one of them came back with something," the 911 caller said, according to WSYX-TV. "It seemed kind of suspicious."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies