Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 09:42 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
And died for his stupidity. Once he realized it was the police, he should have put his hands up instead of playing macho man.
Running away is playing mach man now?

A cop physically tried to grab him. A female cop. He ran away. Should the female cop die for her assault too?

Old 07-16-2018, 09:44 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Could have been doing a lot of things. Possibly trying to toss the evidence. Maybe he was in shock about the situation and panicked. Lots of things. We'll never know. But I do know that when its 5-6 against one, I'm wearing a bullet proof vest and armed too, that its unlikely the perp would get off a clean shot at me while running away.

I'm not saying this is a blatant display of malice. At all. I'm saying that police need to do better to de-escalate situations and bring criminals in so they can be prosecuted. There's been plenty of situations where people have literally shot at police and been taken into custody.
In the video he is clearly pointing the gun at police just a few frames after the stills I posted.

What a stupid person. He's dead now. I think the police shoot far to many people in the USA, but this one was justified. Many are not, this one is.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
There is a difference between the right to carry for self defense and resisting arrest.
You skipped a part.

The police officer broke protocol by assaulting the man (grabbing him and attempting to pull him towards her). THIS started the entire situation where he fled. Before, he was talking peacefully to the other officers. She created a hostile situation by assaulting him. You can't just go around grabbing citizens. They didn't have any reason to arrest him at the time. They didn't know if he had a gun or not (assuming).

The police officer broke the law FIRST. That's what I keep harping on. She's the professional. Not him.

I'm sure there were a million things going through his head. Maybe to ditch the gun. Maybe to stop running and surrender. Maybe he was gonna drop the weapon. We'll never know.

Guilty or not, you can't blame the guy for being in fear. You can however blame the trained professional who could've handled the situation better. We have laws for a reason. Funny how the "law and order" types are selective.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
And in other news the Sun comes up in the east and sets in the west.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
In the video he is clearly pointing the gun at police just a few frames after the stills I posted.

What a stupid person. He's dead now. I think the police shoot far to many people in the USA, but this one was justified. Many are not, this one is.
No he is not. That's a lie. The gun was never out of the holster.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:49 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Could have been doing a lot of things. Possibly trying to toss the evidence. Maybe he was in shock about the situation and panicked. Lots of things. We'll never know. But I do know that when its 5-6 against one, I'm wearing a bullet proof vest and armed too, that its unlikely the perp would get off a clean shot at me while running away.

I'm not saying this is a blatant display of malice. At all. I'm saying that police need to do better to de-escalate situations and bring criminals in so they can be prosecuted. There's been plenty of situations where people have literally shot at police and been taken into custody.

Yeah, possibly trying to toss the evidence in front of several cops. Or showing off his abs. Or wanting people to see what brand of underwear he put on. All of these options make as much sense as the other.

They knew he had a weapon when they stopped him or someone wouldn't have pulled up his shirt to expose it. It looks like they tried stopping him, he wasn't having it, started to leave, and then put his hand on his gun and kept it there until he was shot.

When cops are trying to question you and one puts her hand on your arm or whatever she did, that's about as much of an *assault* as leaving shoelaces outside the door of a black student's dorm room is *racist*. By making such outrageous claims, you actually hurt the cause because people will stop listening to those of us who do feel police brutality and racism are real problems.

If you want to discuss the need for cops to do a better job of de-escalating situations in general, start a thread and many of us will be in support of that and many other things cops need to do. But pretending they could do anything differently in this case is simply conjecture on your part.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bundy did.
Dylann Roof got to go to Burger King. There have been many active shooters taken into custody without harm.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yeah, possibly trying to toss the evidence in front of several cops. Or showing off his abs. Or wanting people to see what brand of underwear he put on. All of these options make as much sense as the other.

So you're implying he was going to shoot the cops. Just say it.

They knew he had a weapon when they stopped him or someone wouldn't have pulled up his shirt to expose it. It looks like they tried stopping him, he wasn't having it, started to leave, and then put his hand on his gun and kept it there until he was shot.

He was grabbed and his shirt was pulled up. Can police do that legally? Please provide an answer. What was he under arrest for? BEFORE they grabbed him.

When cops are trying to question you and one puts her hand on your arm or whatever she did, that's about as much of an *assault* as leaving shoelaces outside the door of a black student's dorm room is *racist*. By making such outrageous claims, you actually hurt the cause because people will stop listening to those of us who do feel police brutality and racism are real problems.

I don't care. That's assault. You can argue the degree all you want. If someone tries to grab me and I don't want to grab I have the right to defend myself. Again. What was he under arrest for BEFORE the officer grabbed him?

If you want to discuss the need for cops to do a better job of de-escalating situations in general, start a thread and many of us will be in support of that and many other things cops need to do. But pretending they could do anything differently in this case is simply conjecture on your part.
How come only one officer shot him then? This IS a case, in my opinion, where they could have handled it much better. I've had police try to break the law and then act like they're enforcing it. That's how I got involved with this issue. Personal experience of cops lying and trying to cover up their wrongdoing.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:03 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
How come only one officer shot him then? This IS a case, in my opinion, where they could have handled it much better. I've had police try to break the law and then act like they're enforcing it. That's how I got involved with this issue. Personal experience of cops lying and trying to cover up their wrongdoing.
It was noted that the officer that fired was a new officer. That seems to be the case in a good number of these cases.

I've noted that a part of the problem is in training.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:11 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtaylor View Post
Maybe if people within the black community would learn to respect authority this kind of thing wouldn't happen...if a cop tells you to do something, just do it, most people have had to do it at some point in their life.. same within the schools, kids in the black community need to learn respect..
If a cop tells you he wants to search your house with no provecation or warrant, you don't just let them.

If he tells you to suck his dick (and this has happened, don't make me prove it) you just do it?

Quote:
The suspected he had a gun, they were correct, he was breaking the law as he did not have a permit to conceal that weapon..why is that so hard for you to understand?
This has been covered many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies