Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 11:02 AM

1,066 posts, read 630,852 times

Advertisements

I didnt read these post, I am not culturally diverse and I dont care about other nations or their people. That being said, why should we let anyone that wants to come here come over freely? if we go elsewhere, it wont be smooth sailing for us, we wont get welfare or food stamps or free healthcare. We would probably end up in jail.

I dont want foreigners here illegally, let them prove themselves and have a skill to offer, let them apply legally and go through the honorable process. Its disgusting that you people place other nationalities before our own when we have our own suffering and homelessness. Its a darn shame, and I am honest, I really dont care about Mexico, if Mexico is so bad, let them fix it. Not our problem.

If my house sucks, but my neighbors is great, if I go knock on their door and ask to move in?? what do you think the answer will be?

*** off would be my response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 11:07 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,606,995 times
The news stories about how the illegal immigrant kids are so traumatized from being held while their situation is being investigated and now their parents can't be found, it is the parents to blame for putting their children in such a situation. Put responsibility back on the parents where it belongs. Sad but true. If they loved their kids so much, why did they put them in that situation? if they were going to be deported, they should have brought their kids with them, or just gone back.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:12 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
That's pretty easy to solve. Take a tiny bit of our insanely large federal budget and build these people real houses to replace their shacks. Simple and easy.

Why should we build houses for the Mexican people? They aren't our citizens. Our budget should be for our own citizen's needs.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:21 AM

27,620 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
To me, the premise of a “national identifying culture” is preposterous. People in New York have materially different culture than people in rural Alabama and both cultures are vastly different from those in Alaska or Hawaii. I cannot think of one common cultural trait that universally links them together.
Americans everywhere value freedom, democracy, free and fair elections, the rule of law and material prosperity.

All across America is the same national language, the same government, the same legal system, economic system, educational system, healthcare system, highway infrastructure, the same national sports, the same kinds of stores, restaurants, hotels, movie theaters, popular entertainment, malls, etc., etc.

All of these things contribute to a common way of life in this country no matter where you live.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:25 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,174,863 times
The WALL is an incredible waste of money. Why should any rational person want to spend billions of dollars to construct and maintain a wall when the E-Verify System already exists and is FREE TO USE and is at least 94% accurate and improving?

If you are bent out of shape about the wall not being built, please first look up your state and if it does not require full use of E-Verify let us know why, push for a change at home, and then complain.

This map below is based on the Wiki article (I won't vouch for it's accuracy because I quickly cobbled it together), but why is it that all these red states do not require complete use of verification systems?

That's the place to spend money before wasting it on an ill-conceived wall.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-01-2018 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 11:40 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,745,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Again, I ask you what comprises "our national identifying culture" other than being Christian, white, preferring hot dogs to hunan, and speaking English? Is there anything else?

To me, the premise of a "national identifying culture" is preposterous. People in New York have materially different culture than people in rural Alabama and both cultures are vastly different from those in Alaska or Hawaii. I cannot think of one common cultural trait that universally links them together.
We most certainly have a very deep and rich American culture. Unfortunately, it's hard to identify in contrast with the rest of the world because the rest of the world has copied it. Blue jeans, T-shirts, tennis shoes, rock and roll, rap, hip hop, blues, jazz, bluegrass, country western, cowboy hats, baseball caps, business suits, hamburgers remade how we like em, hot dogs remade how we like them, pizza remade how we like it, candy, chocolate, ice cream, television, radio shows, the car culture, skyscrapers, cell phones, computers, laptops, smartphones, Disney animated features movies and similar productions, Hollywood, Disneyland, Disney World, amusement parks, the Superbowl culture, baseball culture, the African American tendency to come up with new words or completely redefine existing ones, the 9 to 5 work day culture, fast food, the bikini, the mini-skirt, the Internet, modern highways, stoplights, peanut butter, jello, the music industry, disco, heavy metal, swing dancing, modern makeup, all things made from corn, telephones, modern manufacturing, basketball, American Football, snowboarding, skateboarding, surfing, senior prom, Thanksgiving Dinner, the 4th of July, railroads, corned beef and cabbage, freedom of speech absolutism, and a ton of other things.

There's a lot of American culture that we don't even see because it's just stuff that we do and rarely think about. We don't really see our culture terribly well until we go somewhere that has a bare minimum of American culture. We've borrowed and remade all sorts of things that now only barely resemble the original culture's version. Some subcultures in America create stuff and everyone copies them -- most notably African Americans. Borrowing and celebrating other cultures is very American. What could be more American than going to Milwaukee Irish Fest and seeing some black girl Irish dancer? It's not her native culture, but who cares? That's just the sort of thing that America is all about.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:42 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The WALL is an incredible waste of money. Why should any rational person want to spend billions of dollars to construct and maintain a wall when the E-Verify System already exists and is FREE TO USE and is at least 94% accurate and improving?

If you are bent out of shape about the wall not being built, please first look up your state and if it does not require E-Verify let us know why, push for a change at home, and then complain.

How is it a waste of money when I have provided links proving that the good walls do work? Not all illegal aliens are coming here to work. Criminals and terrorists certainly aren't. Many will still come for birthright citizenship for their kids and benefits. What about those who get paid cash how does e-verify fix that? E-verify is not mandated in everyone work place and that's the problem. The wall needs to be part of the solution. It's cost effective and also an effective deterrant.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:26 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,289,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

If you are bent out of shape about the wall not being built, please first look up your state and if it does not require full use of E-Verify let us know why, push for a change at home, and then complain.

This map below is based on the Wiki article (I won't vouch for it's accuracy because I quickly cobbled it together), but why is it that all these red states do not require complete use of verification systems?

That's the place to spend money before wasting it on an ill-conceived wall.
Do you want illegals apprehended and deported? Are you pushing and getting the word out there for e-verify? Seems people spend more energy negating the wall than pushing other solutions which is very telling of their true agendas.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:31 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,440,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
The news stories about how the illegal immigrant kids are so traumatized from being held while their situation is being investigated and now their parents can't be found, it is the parents to blame for putting their children in such a situation. Put responsibility back on the parents where it belongs. Sad but true. If they loved their kids so much, why did they put them in that situation? if they were going to be deported, they should have brought their kids with them, or just gone back.
Where is the flyer or posted sign that stated
"CHILDREN will be kidnapped" NO Tresspassing."

Old 08-01-2018, 02:40 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,174,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Do you want illegals apprehended and deported? Are you pushing and getting the word out there for e-verify? Seems people spend more energy negating the wall than pushing other solutions which is very telling of their true agendas.
Am I pushing EVerify? In my posts, Yes. IRL? No, I am not the one with the concern over the border.

Do I want illegals apprehended and deported? Again, it is not my major concern, there are more important things to get done, but yes, at a reasonable - not wasteful cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies