Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 02:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I can’t stand Trump but she’s a publicity seeker. She is like Rudy. Loves the spotlight. More people trying to sell a book. Wonder who’s buying all of these books?
Ordered the Audible version
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 02:23 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Many white AND black folk argue if some can say it -- then everyone should be able to -- but it doesn't work that way.

It just doesn't.
Well it SHOULD then.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:27 PM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
If there was absolute proof of Mr. Trump using that vile word, then I have little doubt that Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, Ted "Canadian" Cruz and many other Republicans will start using the word, in an attempt to show that 'Hey, we have all said that word all along, and no one objected!"

Witch hunt! They will cry again.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If you are still asking that question after years of it being analyzed, discussed, etc.....at some point you have to take responsibility for not paying attention.

But just for fun....

White people should never rap the n-word: A linguist breaks it down

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/malco...b_8190836.html

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/...-coates-n-word

Many white AND black folk argue if some can say it -- then everyone should be able to -- but it doesn't work that way.

It just doesn't.
I am a retired high school English teacher--grew up in (very) small town Texas south of Austin
My mom was from Atlanta, my dad was born central Texas--met her when he was in military hospital in WWII from injuries when his jeep was blown up by mine--he was medic--worked on the wards to help out while he was waiting to be released to return to Europe
I never heard either of them use the word N-----
My mother's accent came out Nigra--which is really Negro
No racism talk in our household

My first job was teaching at a high school in Houston's poorest area--80%+ black and the Hispanics were called "white" by HISD simply to make it look like the school was "integrated"...to avoid forced bussing...
I heard black students using the N word all the time
I really bothered me and I tried to get the kids to stop
The woman who was head of my Dept was older AA woman--Miss Treasie Porter--she was married but Miss was sign of respect and everyone from the principal to any student in school called her Miss Treasie

Miss Treasie said I was wasting my time -- that she didn't excuse the use of the word but--and I cannot forget this explanation-- "anyone can act like a ******"...
Ergo to Miss Treasie--it was a description of ACTIONS and ATTITUDE---not an innate characterization of race...

I still don't like it
When I went back to teaching after raising my two kids I was in different district--mainly Anglos and Hispanics W/some AA and East Asians...
But I have heard all colors of kids use it
I try to explain that "owning" the term doesn't really excuse the perjorative connotations and it really demeans the user to certain extent...

But I can't help remember Miss Treasie and frankly, in her point of view, I am sure Trump himself is acting like- well, you know...

Old 08-14-2018, 02:34 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Trump hired too many sleazy operators. He better hope Cohen and Omarossa are the only ones smart enough to cover their ass. At this point he doesn't know what she has on him. Maybe she'll be visited by an emissary from Trump offering her a TV show, she doesn't need the money.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:34 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Trumpettes are in full blown panic and meltdown mode. Stick a fork in Trump. He's absolutely toast. It is fun watching Trump backers attempt to explain away this debacle and to watch them go down with this sinking ship.
Garsh. Somebody forgot to tell me that I am in "full blown panic and meltdown mode."

The left is going to burst a vein only for it all to blow over.

It's all in a day's work.

Omarosa behaves like what Trump called her. A dog. Some people use one terminology, another person uses another. I don't like the term necessarily because I really like dogs.

President Trump needs to check voting records before hiring. No Barry/Hellary lovers allowed. Not trustworthy in the least.

IF Trump said the N word, he is from an era of which likely 95 percent of people have said it at least once in a lifetime whether using it in a derogatory manner or just as a figure of speech. If everyone that have ever used it had to be demoted, there's only be people working at McDonald's, as janitors etc.

People need to get off their high horse. Their closet may be exposed some day when they least expect it.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Omarosa should have never been in the White House to begin with, there has to be better talent than her. Trump liked her then hated her, heard that before. I hope this is the last season of The Apprentice.

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
What another TERRIBLE day for Trump

https://twitter.com/passantino/statu...97858027712512
I heard about this on the radio.

It appears that it is the Trump campaign which pays these people for their continued silence, apparently so as not to reveal anything which could or would hurt the Trump chances for re-election. Why should they be afraid of what these people would say? This seems to be an unprecedented action on the part of a sitting president.

I wonder if donors have been aware of these expenditures. I also question whether buying silence from people would be a legitimate campaign expense at any time.

It would be interesting to see the wording of these agreements.

"Just remember, what you are seeing and what you are reading is not what's happening,"
Donald J. Trump
24 July, 2018

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Default Does Omarosa Have The Smoking Gun? Will She Prove Collusion?

Key portion of Omarosa interview is here where she firmly asserts that Trump knew about Hillary's hacked e-mails before WikiLeaks got them, and she's going to "blow the whistle." Lordy, I hope she's got tapes!

Link to YouTube video: https://youtu.be/_sqv4wHuekY?t=2m37s

Old 08-14-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
If there was absolute proof of Mr. Trump using that vile word, then I have little doubt that Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell, Ted "Canadian" Cruz and many other Republicans will start using the word, in an attempt to show that 'Hey, we have all said that word all along, and no one objected!"

Witch hunt! They will cry again.
I wouldn't be surprised if they did use it
McConnell can be crusty in his speech and he is from Kentucky--sort of a Southern state
I bet Sessions has used it although would never admit it

Trump used it
And I am sure used it in the most pejorative manner
The use of the term "dog" for Omarosa is really tied to the alt-right/Nazi attitude
Common there for blacks to be called "dogs" because they view AA as non-human
This is just Trump's racist inner self let loose to rage because he knows he is caught in a cleft-stick...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies