Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 06:24 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,553,289 times

Advertisements

Not long ago, women were EXPECTED to have children and to not do so resulted in a lot of judgment. Women still face this attitude today but, much less so. People, for the most part no longer feel pressured to have kids, which is a good thing. Most children of ambivalent parents figure out early on that their parents, though they love them, also resent them. Choosing to not reproduce is NOT selfish. Having children out of a sense of obligation is. This world is already over populated and on a course of self destruction. Why subject kids to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 06:36 AM

51,737 posts, read 26,043,490 times
There are already more than enough people in the world.

Not having children, particularly if you don't want them and/or can't afford to them, seems a responsible choice.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:36 PM

9,388 posts, read 6,507,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Stinks doesn’t it? But evolution only cares about mere survival. Evolution doesn’t reward what is “good,” it rewards what good at surviving.

In an environment where knowledge is painful and ignorance is bliss, the stupid people will outbreed the smart people. Evolution 101. It’s simply too painful (and expensive) to be smart in today’s world.
Evolution only cares about survival of the fittest. College educated people totally dependent on modern society are not the fittest from a natural evolution perspective.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:38 PM

9,388 posts, read 6,507,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Is there a need for a replacement level population , given technology substitution/ industrial robotics?
Replacement level needs to be reevaluated and most likely drastically lowered to account for future technological innovation, robotics and artificial intelligence.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:48 PM

33,544 posts, read 12,776,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I know many want kids but if you can't afford them, don't have them because it's selfish. And daycare costs a fortune
Yep.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:48 PM

999 posts, read 716,332 times
My son really wants another child but says they have to wait until their first son who is 2 1/2 is in all day kindergarten and does not require daycare. Currently Daycare is $1000 a month, plus supplies. Son says he cannot afford to have two in daycare at once. It also cost more when my grandson was an infant.

His wife also has a career which requires frequent travel and I am sure that is a consideration too, she loves her job.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:49 PM

9,326 posts, read 4,170,161 times
Interesting that four out of the top five reasons are economic.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:57 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,186,707 times
To post #32 (I know, late to the party)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Daycare in my area is $2000 a month for the bottom of the barrel type places.

Starter homes are 400-500K.

I moved to "where the jobs were" which means, like most of my peers, away from family who could help with childcare.

Many of us are also planning on being the "sandwich generation" with responsibility for aging parents who did not or could not save enough for astronomically higher costs for aging in place or nursing homes than they anticipated.

I desperately want kids, but how do you do it when costs are rising so much faster than incomes? Despite raises and promotions that have doubled my income since I entered the workforce 8 years ago, cost of living has increased at an even faster pace!
MmmKay! You want to live near "family" (read parents, as family members your age are probably working too) who can help you care for kids, probably for free; yet you complain about parents who didn't/couldn't save for retirement that you might have to help! I guess you just can't win!

I have a belief that no one is really an adult until they quit complaining about their parents.

I am aware of the abysmal savings level of many people about to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The gist of the article is Americans aren't having children because they don't have the money for them. If you look at the list, the majority of reasons have to do with the financial aspects. It's sad that in a country as wealthy as the US, adults can't afford to reproduce. There is no subsidized childcare, no family leave benefits, and no universal healthcare. When women take time off work to raise their babies, their earning power suffers long term. Or if they stay home, they aren't bringing in money, so finances are strained when families need money the most. Or they can't afford the daycare option if they work. It's a no-win situation.
Actually, the #1 reason given by those who have no kids is "Want leisure time" followed by "Haven't found partner". #3 is "Can't afford child care" followed by "No desire for children".

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The global fertility rate is 2.4. The poorest countries, with no safety net/ social welfare have the highest birth rates in excess of 6, while wealthy countries with safety nets/ social welfare have the lowest fertility rates.

This is not unique to the US. The fertility rates within the developed world have plummeted to record lows.

Is there a need for a replacement level population , given technology substitution/ industrial robotics?
1. Not every job can be done by a robot.
2. There is a need for young people to contribute to the tax base to keep all these old people (who clearly haven't saved enough for retirement /s) out of poverty. Seriously, I have read that is/will be an issue especially in Japan.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 9,132,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if either of my kids will ever get married or have kids. I know for certain one doesn't want kids and one does. They would both probably like to be married at some point but neither seems to meet people they want to date seriously and their career/finances have bouts of instability. Being in the most expensive area in the nation doesn't make things any easier and they aren't alone among their peers in remaining single.

I've come to terms with it and no longer care if I'm ever a grandma. While part of me wishes and hopes the other part is relieved that I won't have more people to worry about. Life is really weird these days and doesn't seem the best for bringing in children. We'll see what the next couple years bring.
My kids are pretty much the same. My son and his wife are in their mid-30s and have been adamant since their marriage 12 years ago that they do not want children. My daughter is in her early 30s and has no desire to ever marry.

Millennials are not their parents generation. They have views about marriage and children which are completely opposite from the baby boomers. We should not expect them to recreate our experiences when it's such a different world than it was a few generations ago.

People who do not want children should not have children. Kudos to them for realizing this and resisting the pressure to procreate. The world is populated enough.

Like you, I know I will never be a grandma. And I'm fine with that. Everyone should live the life that works best for them. Me being a grandma ranks very low on that priority list, as it should.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:59 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,186,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interesting that four out of the top five reasons are economic.
For not having more kids. For those that don't have any, the reasons are different, and 3 of the top 5 are not economic, but social.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies