Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 05:12 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It doesn't seem to be about that, but about having ridiculous standards and if their kid can't be a little Barron Trump in private school then the whole family's life is ruined. What they are saying is they are not good enough and their kid won't be good enough for the world if they are not wealthy.
I just don't think anyone should be having kids unless they're capable of providing children the best that life has to offer. It's not fair to create a life only to subject it to scarcity and lacking. And 3 hots and a cot are not enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 05:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think a lot of it revolves around Millennials having a good understanding of what it takes to be a parent and taking it very seriously. I have a young adult child who does not wish to have children, and I don't consider it my place to try to convince her otherwise. If she does not think she is up to the task of being a mother, for whatever reason, then she absolutely should not have children. That's the responsible thing to do.
Exactly. Millennials were the second generation of widespread divorce and unmarried couples. Some are products of two generations of broken homes. Many including myself take the need of children seriously. We don't want to be the tried and true "I'd you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em crowd." The problem is because we listen to this sound advice it causes us to run afoul of the base of human life, reproduction.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:21 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I just don't think anyone should be having kids unless they're capable of providing children the best that life has to offer. It's not fair to create a life only to subject it to scarcity and lacking. And 3 hots and a cot are not enough.
This thread is succumbing to hyperbole, which is a sure sign that it's going down the tubes. Young people are not out of line in desiring a family life that includes a sturdy home in a safe neighborhood with decent schools and enough money to make life enjoyable while also saving for a rainy day. They are not talking about raising a kid in a gold-plated Manhattan penthouse when they express concerns about how they can afford to have children.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Crazy talk. Immigrants from all over the world come here and succeed. That's cause they take whatever and work up from there. This generation just wants to work only if they can start out at the top.
Another fallacy. The millennials weren't taught that unless it was instilled in them by parents. If they went to school, it was all college is the solution. Well it wasn't. That and the entry level for many companies don't go up.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:37 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
This thread is succumbing to hyperbole, which is a sure sign that it's going down the tubes. Young people are not out of line in desiring a family life that includes a sturdy home in a safe neighborhood with decent schools and enough money to make life enjoyable while also saving for a rainy day. They are not talking about raising a kid in a gold-plated Manhattan penthouse when they express concerns about how they can afford to have children.
That is asking a lot for a young couple. Everything doesn't have to be perfect. You can live in a small apartment or condo and have a kid. It is pretty clear many expect to be upper middle class to have children. Often that does involve private schools, lots of money spent on activities, etc.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
That is asking a lot for a young couple. Everything doesn't have to be perfect. You can live in a small apartment or condo and have a kid. It is pretty clear many expect to be upper middle class to have children. Often that does involve private schools, lots of money spent on activities, etc.
I wrote home, not house. A sturdy and safe home could be an apartment-style condominium, a townhouse, a duplex, or a SFH. My children all came home to a SFH, but I would have felt fine raising them in any of the homes in which I lived, from an apartment all the way through a traditional SFH with a white picket fence and a big yard, because they were all safe, sturdy, and in decent neighborhoods with good public schools. I happen to live in a very expensive metropolitan region, and I know what it takes to rent even a two-bedroom apartment in a traditionally working class neighborhood here. It's not easy, and I fully support my kids taking their time in deciding to start a family or even deciding not to have a family at all. It's not my job to dictate an acceptable lifestyle to them. I imagine both of my boys will eventually settle down in the 'burbs with wives and children, but my daughter not so much. She has other things in mind, which likely do not involve marriage and family, and that is perfectly okay with me.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-27-2018 at 06:03 PM..

Old 07-27-2018, 06:02 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The declining fertility rate is not unique to the US.

The countries with the strongest safety nets/ social welfare have the lowest birth rates. The concept of student loans does not exist in these countries.
This. The truth is that women have more control over their own lives and many would rather try to carve out their own definition of what it means to be happy/successful beyond the Ozzie and Harriet lifestyles of our grandparents. This more than anything is why birth rates are plummeting. And for the record, this is a good thing...and I'm a guy.

The problem is not how do we get first world birthrates up (they'll rise once more women feel secure in the freedoms that have been established and more men step up to the domestic plate) but how do we get third world birthrates down? Answer: Economic Growth + Empower Women.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:25 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And if you did nothing to help yourself and are now sitting on that master's in medieval lit with $75K in debt.

Sit down. Breathe.
1. Budget
2. Find a way to maximize inclome. May mean second job.
3. Pay off debt
4. Look for where you want to be in 5 years workwise. What do you need to get there? Who can help you? What effort/skills do you need to make it happen?
5. Take advantage of any service your college offers, alumni networking, resume help, etc.
6. Look in to state/county employment assistance
7. Look for networking events and ATTEND being professional and polite. Intorduce yourself around

Again. Common sense. Seriously? Took me less than 5 min, two posts.

And actually no. 1 rule: STOP BEING A VICTIM.
Who exactly are you talking to?

Old 07-27-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Who exactly are you talking to?
That's a very good question, and you seem to be the first who asked it. There's a contingent of posters around here who think it's their job to lecture whether or not it's appropriate. A tremendous lack of empathy plagues C-D.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:42 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
It doesn't seem to be about that, but about having ridiculous standards and if their kid can't be a little Barron Trump in private school then the whole family's life is ruined. What they are saying is they are not good enough and their kid won't be good enough for the world if they are not wealthy.
Uh... What?

Goodness people on this site are removed from reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies