Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:08 PM

21,380 posts, read 7,993,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The cosmEtOlogy, yes, my school district has that as well in their Vo-tech program. My hairdresser went there. Being a hairstylist isn't exactly the key to big bucks though: https://money.usnews.com/careers/bes...dresser/salary
Yes, you can give anecdotes till the cows come home, but for the sake of those who will not open this link, the median hourly wage for a hairdresser is $11.66, or $24,260/year. The 75th percentile (3/4 earn less) is $31,470. Re: the plumber, his HS training will help, but it's hardly the end of the road. https://study.com/articles/Construct...a_Plumber.html
Again for those who refuse to open links,
"Required Education 4-to 5-year apprenticeship program
License Required in most states
Projected Job Growth (2014-2024)* 12% (for plumbers, pipefitters and steamfitters)
Median Salary (2015)* $50,620 (for plumbers, pipefitters and steamfitters)"

Way less than what people on this thread are posting for salaries in "the trades".
For the dental hygienist who wants to become a dentist, you're not going to do that in HS Vo-tech. Dental hygiene requires at least an AAS, with many having a BS.
https://www.learnhowtobecome.org/dental-hygienist/
You'll have to read it yourself, too much to quote just 3 sentences. See salary map, which does not connect with what they say about salary. Even in CA, the highest paying state, the median is $64,230 and the 90th percentile is $85,850.
Also, being a hygienist is NOT the way to become a dentist. Dental school requires a bachelor's degree from college in just about anything as long as one takes the pre-reqs, and a four year dental degree from a dental college. https://study.com/how_to_become_a_dentist.html

That is about all I have time to discuss right now, except to say that I did not say anything in the purple, and don't know why you're attributing that to me. Nor did I say anything about housing. I'm not real impressed with your disparagement of a college degree either. Good GAWD yourself.

I'll be back later.
I quoted post 308.

Apparently the only worthwhile thing to do is go straight to college, then to grad school, dig yourself a $75K student loan debt and then go work in a coffee shop bemoaning the fact that your life sucks, and your degree is dime a dozen along with everyone elses.

Since you are not open to any other options. Great plan. If that's all you believe matters, and it is clear that THIS path is NOT WORKING, well, keep up the insanity. Keep telling jkids to go to school and rack up debt.

Serious lack of common sense here, and a serious disrespect to other forms of employment. Done on this topic as student loans and being INTENTIONAL victims with no jobs is apparently what people here want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 12:14 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I quoted post 308.

Apparently the only worthwhile thing to do is go straight to college, then to grad school, dig yourself a $75K student loan debt and then go work in a coffee shop bemoaning the fact that your life sucks, and your degree is dime a dozen along with everyone elses.

[B]Since you are not open to any other options.[/b] Great plan. If that's all you believe matters, and it is clear that THIS path is NOT WORKING, well, keep up the insanity. Keep telling jkids to go to school and rack up debt.

Serious lack of common sense here, and a serious disrespect to other forms of employment. Done on this topic as student loans and being INTENTIONAL victims with no jobs is apparently what people here want.
Here is what I posted in #308. Where did I say the stuff in purple? Please document, or quit misrepresenting me. As you yourself said the average student debt is $39,400, not $75K. I've looked up these stats before, too, and that is for students who have debt. Not all do.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with the green and presume you're talking to everyone here, not just me.
Quote:
To post #201:

That is about the price of a new car. I will be judgmental here and say it amazes me how many parents think nothing of buying a new or late-model car for their kid(s), but will not pay for college education.

Often, grad school is paid for with grants, TAs, RAs, etc. (Not for professional school though, usually.)

Good synopsis. Add in under 3.- none of your trade school credits and not all your CC credits transfer. Getting a bachelor's degree takes another 3 years, at least.

Are you talking about people who came of age in the 40s/50s or people who grew up then? I grew up in the 50s/60s, much of my cohort of Older Boomers got married later. In fact, age at first marriage has been going up for decades. People who came of age in the 40s had to deal with the war, which removed many eligible men and some women from the marriage market for years at a time. Those who came of age in the 50s did marry young and start families young. I'd look it up if I weren't feeling so lazy right now.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:34 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,885,282 times
Newtovenice: Regarding the technical high schools, as the other poster (Katarina Witt) said, yes, the Cosmetology program will give you access to becoming state board certified by the end of High School, but things like Automotive Technology programs will not.

For instance, my local Tech gets their students a few ASE certifications, but as the wife of an Automotive Mechanic, I know that most decent shops in our area also require a 2 year Diploma in Automotive Technology. ASE's help a mechanic to get paid a bit more in some cases, but most shops worth their salt require more than that.

I do think technical/vocational schools are a great option, but it is folly to think that graduating from one negates the need for any further, higher education.

Old 07-30-2018, 04:40 PM

10,269 posts, read 6,365,039 times
Katarina, I am more or less your generation. Very early Boomer. Our parents did not marry young in life because the men were fighting WW2. That is how my generation became the Baby Boomers after the war ended.

MY generation? Well, we were the first of the Sex, Drugs, Rock N'Roll, Tune in/Drop Out. Even for those of us who did not fully embrace that, we still were influenced by it. No rush to embrace 1950's society and culture. Establish a career, find yourself, and see the world first.

That Father Knows Best/Leave it Beaver culture has been dead for a long time, and isn't coming back. Don't blame the Millennials for that.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Katarina, I am more or less your generation. Very early Boomer. Our parents did not marry young in life because the men were fighting WW2. That is how my generation became the Baby Boomers after the war ended.

MY generation? Well, we were the first of the Sex, Drugs, Rock N'Roll, Tune in/Drop Out. Even for those of us who did not fully embrace that, we still were influenced by it. No rush to embrace 1950's society and culture. Establish a career, find yourself, and see the world first.

That Father Knows Best/Leave it Beaver culture has been dead for a long time, and isn't coming back. Don't blame the Millennials for that.
I'm not blaming Millennials for anything except excessive whining on the part of some of them. I birthed two of them! They, their spouses, their friends, and my friends' kids/spouses don't do all this complaining.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:13 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,414,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Kids these days don’t know how good they have it.

Back in my day we had to walk through snow to buy a $700,000 shack.
What decade was that?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,988,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Interesting that four out of the top five reasons are economic.
And yet millennials still are lambasted for not spending wisely. They just can't win.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And yet millennials still are lambasted for not spending wisely. They just can't win.
The majority economic reasons are only for the millennials who already have some kids. For those with no kids, the top reasons are social.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:06 AM

13,683 posts, read 20,833,861 times
Quote:
The majority economic reasons are only for the millennials who already have some kids. For those with no kids, the top reasons are social.
Well, at first glance that sounds rather insane.

But then again, if someone truly prefers hanging out in pubs, eating good meals, traveling, etc --- All Good Things Btw-- to having kids, then I say it is wise not to have them.

People should only have kids if they have the desire and the means.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:27 AM

21,258 posts, read 19,875,561 times
The world is way too populated for my liking and I don’t want to bring a child into a social environment I don’t enjoy. If the world population was under 1 billion or so, I would gladly have a lot of kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies