Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 AM

45,820 posts, read 27,459,239 times

Advertisements

All of these shootings occurred on the birthday weekend of Obama.

Sounds like they took no time to reflect on his greatness...

Old 08-06-2018, 09:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,903,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This take is horrendously stupid. Every couple of months I actually reply to one of these posts in earnest, detailing the roots of Chicago violence and how to actually prevent it. No one ever seems to care, because none of you actually care about Chicago violence. You just use it as a convenient way to best Democrats and express your racial animus without being called out directly on your racism. But, here we go:

Chicago, unfortunately has a long-standing gang culture. This is objectively a bad thing. A few years back, a major gang enforcement operation led to the arrest of every high-ranking gang-member of note. There were no OG’s on the streets to carry out diplomacy and enforce the unwritten (and often written) rules of gang culture. What was left behind was basically packs of child soldiers. Undisciplined teenagers shooting each other over Instagram posts. This is problem number one.

Problem two: Chicago police do not care about shooting victims in poor black neighborhoods. In fact, they don’t care about anyone in these neighborhoods, which is why these crimes are really investigated. At one point, two years ago, the CPD had made arrests in only 70 of TWO THOUSAND fatal shootings. Right or wrong, people have taken to settling these matters them selves because the police don’t care.

I understand that no one is interested in fixing the root causes of violence: concentrated poverty, easy access to firearms, poor schools and mental health services amongst a myriad of other issues. But, you can actually reduce the violence and all it takes is two things:

-Increased police patrols in dangerous neighborhoods with no mandate to enforce drug or “quality of life” crimes. Simply be in the community but don’t harass its residents.

-Investigate every murder as af every victim were a 24 year-old blonde from Lincoln Park.

Chicago’s homicide rate would drop precipitously, but in order for those two things to happen, the police have to except that there a job in these communities is to protect the people, not arrest him. Unfortunately, the police do not value the lives of the people in this community and in fact believe them to be their adversaries.
You are correct in that most shootings in Chicago don’t conclude with an arrest/ charges. Communities tend to protect their own or fear retaliation. Easier to blame the Mayor and Police Superintendent.

In early 20@7, MSNBC held a Townhall in Chicago. Most of the attendees blamed the mayor for the violence.

One woman claimed to have lost 7 family members to 7 separate gun violence incidents. No one asked her how many of her slain family members were affiliated with gangs.

No shortage of attendees complained about the lack of jobs in their communities. Why were businesses not relocating to their community. Why no hotels? Why no fancy restaurants? Same could be said for say, the Sauganash community which trends residential and very safe. Most people use public transportation to commute to work.

No one asked the audience why their children operate as look outs for gangs instead of attending school. No one asked why their children are on the streets in the wee hours of the night. No one asked the audience why mamas are in local bars instead of at home with their kids. No one asked the audience how many read to their kids. No one asked the audience how many had fathered or given birth to babies they could not provide for.

There is an inherent distrust of LE in many counties in Appalachia. The economies of some counties in Appalachia are entirely dependent on government subsidies. Opiate/ opioid addiction is an epidemic in some counties in Appelachia. Single parenthood is common. And yet, people are not shooting eachother like is happening in 5 districts in Chicago.

Why?

Old 08-06-2018, 09:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,103,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Trump does not care about inner-city blacks. Most politicians, on both sides of the aisle, don't.
You do realize the solutions don't start with Trump right? You realize that good old Mayor Emanuel is where the buck starts and stops for this debacle right?
What's his game and why is HE allowing this to continue? Why hasn't HE asked for help from some of the people that have tons of experience cleaning up large cities? Why hasn't HE activated the Guard to help? Why is HE pushing genocide against people by allowing the mass slaughter of all these Black people and why?
I'd have expected people with pitchforks and torches to be on the steps of his palace by now, why is this not the case? Why isn't there a groundswell of "Impeach Emanuel" by now?

How's about instead of just tossing crap at the President you actually start where the buck stops first...

Old 08-06-2018, 09:21 AM

24,721 posts, read 17,462,249 times
UGH

When it gets hot the animals come out.

Why can't the PC SJW's get out of the way and let the authorities do something about these gang idiots playing the thug?

If it is black on black shootings then it has zero to do with racism and everything to do with innocent people that have to live in these war zones having to get down every time some fool starts shooting.

This is America not Iran and people deserve to be safe.

Most of us don't care if some gang banger shoots another but then they are taken to the hospital where the tax payers foot the bill, the Police are left to pick up the mess when they could be doing something better and the Left has yet another statistic that they will add to the "gun violence against children" column. They don't differentiate between a 17 year old gang member and a innocent kid on his way to school. The Left then uses these stats to pound home that guns should be banned.

These gang shootings are a public safety problem and when some bozo is arrested with an illegal gun they should be put away for several years with no exception because they have shown that they have no fear of using that gun to shoot to kill a rival and it is not that much of s stretch for them to point the gun at a cop and either kill him and then we have a candle lite vigil for the fallen officer OR the cop shoots the gang member and then we have violent protests for "the aspiring rapper that was just ready to turn his life around".

The Dems do nothing to stop this violence. Obama did nothing and if Trump tried he would be called a racist.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:27 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,605,849 times
Huh. I just spent 3 nights in Chicago last weekend, had the best weekend of my life. Spent time downtown & in Wrigleyville. Used the L everyday. And I’m alive!! How can that be? According to the usual predictable suspects on here, I should’ve been shot dead because the city is out of control!!! Lol, just shut up about Chicago already. You guys are a yawn of a broken record.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:33 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,142,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeb4321 View Post
If the black community wished this to stop, it would. Everyone knows that's the case and why Chicago police can't stop the issues.

Instead they blame everyone else. Very typical in communities of color. The right brings this up but the left doesn't want to rock the boat so it keeps going on and will continue.
Picturing you wearing a white hood typing this lol.. pretty comical..

Old 08-06-2018, 09:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,903,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Interesting commentary. I'm pretty sure America won't resort to firing squads.

But I am in favor of the cameras in communities, business districts and commercial zones, and large parking lots. and I'd certainly be willing to pay a citizens fee for that services and benefit.

In my community, there has been a couple of shooting, related to love spats, which I don't condone, our biggest issues is the shifts that have increased "litter". I don't consider us to be immune to anything, there has been house burglaries, which is a commonality across the nation, but I don't condone that nor down play it. because I think anyone who breaks in someones home also has the willingness to kill if they think that is their means of escape.

Crimes exist and we need means to monitor areas is what I would be happy to pay a citizens fee to get.
You might recall Dwayne Wade’s cousin, unmarried mother of 4, was shot and killed while pushing a stroller in Chicago.

An Uber driver had dropped off some women at an apartment complex and waited outside for the return trip. A hood rat spotted him and called his brother to bring a gun. Words were exchanged and the Uber driver ran for his life with the brothers in pursuit firing at him. They did not notice the woman pushing the stroller who was between them and the target.

Most of this was captured on video. There is no question who did it. The brothers were apprehended. Both were convicted felons. One wore an ankle monitor that was turned off a few hours a day so he could look for a job. When independently asked why they pursued the Uber driver, both said “ I did not know”. Believe them.

The woman who was shot and died could have used her housing voucher to live anywhere in Cook County. She chose the most dangerous block in the most dangerous district because that’s where her community of friends/ family lived.

No shortage of people within this community blamed the mayor and superindendent of Police for her death.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:36 AM

45,340 posts, read 26,602,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The War on Drugs, welfare and wage control are not unique to Chicago.
no and neither is the violence associated with the drug war, welfare and wage controls. You can find similiar across the country. Do you disagree?

Old 08-06-2018, 09:39 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,240,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm really confused.

Chicago has really strict gun laws. So why the violence?

Also, has BLM weighed in yet? Protests scheduled? David Hogg tweeting like crazy demanding even MORE gun laws for Chicago? Is he running for mayor to clean up the gun violence?

Yeah. that's what I thought.
Don't confuse BLM with the crimes being committed, that program is about "Police Killing Unarmed People Specifically. So, don't interject what you don't understand into the subject matter.

IF BLM chooses to deal with the additional issue of Black on Black Street Crime, that is their choice, but their better situations is to stay with the "single focus" their organization has directed itself.

David Hoggs is a young teenagers, attacking him means nothing, they are part of "the future" and they will not carry forth the "ignorance of the past", they will make a world that better suits them as young people who will dominate the future.
Fact is Fact, many of the Baby Boomers and their first generation of offspring will by the fact of life mostly be gone in 20 -30 yrs and these young kids will only be in their 40's, and they will have made for themselves a world far removed from that of the past, that exist today.

Many of us will not be around to see or know it.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:40 AM

45,820 posts, read 27,459,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Huh. I just spent 3 nights in Chicago last weekend, had the best weekend of my life. Spent time downtown & in Wrigleyville. Used the L everyday. And I’m alive!! How can that be? According to the usual predictable suspects on here, I should’ve been shot dead because the city is out of control!!! Lol, just shut up about Chicago already. You guys are a yawn of a broken record.
Um... the people of Chicago are saying it's out of control. But as long as you are OK and had a great time, nothing else is real.

Chicago appeals for help after dozens shot over weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies