Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:06 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio laid out a new voter registration drive in the city’s correctional facilities.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...ils-1533683941

the left's natural constituency.

at first I could read the whole thing, now it's paywalled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:08 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Must have hit all the cemetaries already.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
In a few years he may be able to register Cohen and maybe even some Trumps or others there....

Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio laid out a new voter registration drive in the city’s correctional facilities.

Here in Kentucky Felons/Ex-Felons can't vote or own firearms.
But REPUBLICAN Senator Paul Rand supports letting Felons/Ex Felons vote.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/19/polit...ing/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.60de3c15a08f

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In a few years he may be able to register Cohen and maybe even some Trumps or others there....

Looks like there may be more than a few Trump Cronies that they might be able to register as ex-Felons...if they ever get out of jail.

Trump yells "Lock her up" over "Crooked Hillary" and swore he would put her in jail if elected.
So far, only Trump people seem to be getting "Locked Up" or in real danger of being locked up, so we now see who is really "Crooked". (And Flynn who use to be the Cheerleader leading the

"Lock Her Up" Chants seems to be to be one of the most crooked of them all....oh, the irony...)

Old 08-08-2018, 12:26 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

There's this new invention called Google which allows you to find stories from a variety of sources that aren't behind paywalls. One of these is the Wall Street Journal which reported in part:

Eligible inmates will be able to directly sign up to vote and have their absentee ballots picked up from jail. In the past, these forms and ballots were sent through regular mail, where security measures could cause delays.

Inmates would register to vote using their home address, the mayor said. Those who have prior felony convictions wouldn’t be eligible to vote...

There could be thousands of people who would register under the new initiative. The Department of Correction couldn’t tell for certain how many of its more than 8,000 inmates in custody are eligible to vote, since it doesn’t ask for citizenship status, a department spokesman said.

However, 2,000 people in custody are currently ineligible to vote because they have been sentenced on a felony charge or are on parole.

“Reminding the incarcerated that their vote matters is a powerful way of reinforcing their ties to our community and is just as important as the many job training and re-entry programs we offer every day,” said Department of Correction Commissioner Cynthia Brann.

I think it makes sense to encourage people who are in for only a misdemeanor to vote. This allows them to feel more like a responsible citizen again and thus reduces the amount of recidivism once they have paid their debt to society and are back in their communities again. I'm opposed to allowing felons to vote, however.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
There's this new invention called Google which allows you to find stories from a variety of sources that aren't behind paywalls. One of these is the Wall Street Journal which reported in part:

Eligible inmates will be able to directly sign up to vote and have their absentee ballots picked up from jail. In the past, these forms and ballots were sent through regular mail, where security measures could cause delays.

Inmates would register to vote using their home address, the mayor said. Those who have prior felony convictions wouldn’t be eligible to vote...

There could be thousands of people who would register under the new initiative. The Department of Correction couldn’t tell for certain how many of its more than 8,000 inmates in custody are eligible to vote, since it doesn’t ask for citizenship status, a department spokesman said.

However, 2,000 people in custody are currently ineligible to vote because they have been sentenced on a felony charge or are on parole.

“Reminding the incarcerated that their vote matters is a powerful way of reinforcing their ties to our community and is just as important as the many job training and re-entry programs we offer every day,” said Department of Correction Commissioner Cynthia Brann.

I think it makes sense to encourage people who are in for only a misdemeanor to vote. This allows them to feel more like a responsible citizen again and thus reduces the amount of recidivism once they have paid their debt to society and are back in their communities again. I'm opposed to allowing felons to vote, however.
Its the same thing with felons...once their debt to society is paid in full, you cannot continue to hold the crime over their head...especially for the rest of their lives! That would conflict with one of the founding principles of the US justice system.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:32 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
I love how when voting rights for felons comes up almost nobody from either side contests the assumption that the vast majority of them will vote for democrats.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:24 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
There's this new invention called Google which allows you to find stories from a variety of sources that aren't behind paywalls.
then why didn't you provide such a link?

Quote:
One of these is the Wall Street Journal
nope. that's behind a paywall.

Quote:
agreed.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:18 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I love how when voting rights for felons comes up almost nobody from either side contests the assumption that the vast majority of them will vote for democrats.
What they vote for is their own matter and none of your business.

Rather than trying to make it into a political partisan issue, why don't you stick up for the Constitutional right to the ballot - full stop?

Old 08-08-2018, 01:20 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
What they vote for is their own matter and none of your business.

Rather than trying to make it into a political partisan issue, why don't you stick up for the Constitutional right to the ballot - full stop?

^^^
Case in point. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies