Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:40 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
And then the OP doesn't understand why people would be opposed to that.
I don't understand why more folks don't oppose people having to spend $500 to buy insulin for their teenage daughter as in the link I shared. Some people would rather make political points and pat themselves on the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:48 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If someone would have the balls to challenge the govt on this, if it ever got to the supreme court, the Govt DOES NOT have the right to restrict access and criminalize certain drugs. Some have said this is why the Feds are not going after any states on the marijuana issue, they know if it ever goes to the SC, they will loose control over ALL drug laws.

With the pain pills being hard to get, you can blame the DEA for this, and surprisingly it happened during Obamas term! You see, the DEA is in bed with the drug cartels, they must ensure that all drugs remain as illegal as possible, so the cartels do not have any competition, they are sort of like the cartels lobbying and enforcement arm in the US, if you go back and look at laws the DEA had a hand in creating or changing they all benefit the drug cartels ability to do business in the US.
Wow......just wow.

For starters, pain pills should be “hard to get”; if you haven’t noticed, the nation is in the middle of a massive opioid-epidemic, fostered by PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES. It’s asinine to suggest that opioids should be easily attainable.

Quote:
Over time, opioid users began moving to more potent kinds of opioids, particularly heroin and illicitly obtained fentanyl and its analogs. The reasons why varied; some did so after they lost access to painkillers, while others just wanted to seek out a stronger high.

Not all painkiller users went this way, and not all opioid users started with painkillers. But statistics suggest many did: A 2014 study in JAMA Psychiatry found 75 percent of heroin users in treatment started with painkillers, and a 2015 analysis by the CDC found people who are addicted to painkillers are 40 times more likely to be addicted to heroin.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...drug-overdoses

I literally have no response for your unfounded assertion that the DEA, Obama and Drug Cartels are all colluding to game prescription drug pricing; what I can say, however, is that pharmaceutical companies frequently engage/d in underhanded practices to further pain killer sales:

Quote:
In the late 1990s, pharmaceutical companies reassured the medical community that patients would not become addicted to prescription opioid pain relievers, and healthcare providers began to prescribe them at greater rates. This subsequently led to widespread diversion and misuse of these medications before it became clear that these medications could indeed be highly addictive.
https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abus...e-crisis#three

Quote:
Mass quantities of fentanyl, a low-cost and highly potent synthetic drug, are being produced in China and brought illegally to the United States, contributing to a growing U.S. opioid crisis. The rise of fentanyl in the United States can be traced back to China’s large chemical and pharmaceutical industries, which manufacture vast quantities of the drug and its analogues to export to the western hemisphere with little regulatory oversight.
According to U.S. law enforcement and drug investigators, China is the primary source of fentanyl in the United States. Along with shipments sent directly to the United States, fentanyl is shipped from China to Mexico and, to a lesser degree, Canada, before being trafficked across the U.S. border.
https://www.uscc.gov/Research/fentan...-united-states

Old 08-16-2018, 02:49 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I don't understand why more folks don't oppose people having to spend $500 to buy insulin for their teenage daughter as in the link I shared. Some people would rather make political points and pat themselves on the back.
That person needs to get a job. People have to pay for their food, clothing, and shelter, too. Should we all cry about how "unfair" that is?

Old 08-16-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
......and they'd just as easily do a 180deg flip in viewpoint if they were faced with the same problem. They're un-principled, it's as simple as that.

I'm on your side of the fence.....I'm on a $1200/month medicine, and you'd better believe I had to jump through dozens of hoops just to get insurance to pay for it.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:52 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
For starters, pain pills should be “hard to get”; if you haven’t noticed, the nation is in the middle of a massive opioid-epidemic, fostered by PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES. It’s asinine to suggest that opioids should be easily attainable.
But those same pain pills should not be impossible to get by patients who need them. Right now, my pain level in my remaining foot is a 7. I just took some over the counter pain pills and I swear my foot laughed at me and said, "B*tch, please!" If I were in the hospital and told a nurse my pain level was a 7, she would go get me some pain meds. But out of the hospital and having told my doctor about the level of pain I have every single day, he would not write me a script.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
But those same pain pills should not be impossible to get by patients who need them. Right now, my pain level in my remaining foot is a 7. I just took some over the counter pain pills and I swear my foot laughed at me and said, "B*tch, please!" If I were in the hospital and told a nurse my pain level was a 7, she would go get me some pain meds. But out of the hospital and having told my doctor about the level of pain I have every single day, he would not write me a script.
I agree, and it's disheartening that those who rightfully need the medicine are also the ones who must bear the struggle of obtaining them.

Last edited by subaru5555; 08-16-2018 at 03:27 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 03:02 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That sounds very kind-hearted, but how does the $3.2 trillion/year price tag for it get paid (cost source: Urban Institute)?
Oh, scary big number. We're paying $3.5 trillion right now for our health care expenses and the Urban Institute with its corporate donors hate single payer so will naturally exaggerate the price tag of it.

12% of GDP is a reasonable assumption of what single payer would cost. Every single developed country has 9% to 12% of GDP in health care costs. We're paying 18% of GDP now and tens of millions are not covered and many more are underinsured.

Look at the people in here. They are objecting to paying less, getting more and have every American covered. Thats the power of corporate propaganda. Only a handful of elected representatives in Congress do not take bribe money from the pharmaceutical lobby and health insurance corporations. That effect policies. As long as people keep believing the lies from "think tanks" and their puppets in Congress, nothing will change. Every single developed country has guaranteed health care as a right for their people and they spend FAR LESS per person than America does, usually about half. Administration costs are through the roof in America with huge numbers of people working as billing clerks trying to go through the maze of insurance and hospital bills. And price gouging will always be rampant when providers can charge whatever they feel like since the "consumers" are sick desperate people. And Congress is bought by big pharma and insurance. No wonder its expensive. Absolutely disgusting.

Last edited by PCALMike; 08-16-2018 at 03:12 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 03:11 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Oh, scary big number. We're paying $3.5 trillion right now for our health care expenses and the Urban Institute with its corporate donors hate single payer so will naturally exaggerate the price tag of it.

12% of GDP is a reasonable assumption of what single payer would cost. We're paying 18% of GDP now and tens of millions are not covered and many more are underinsured.
Every other developed county on the planet has figured out how to provide insurance for all. People love to brag about how exceptional America is, but I don't think this is what they had in mind. I don't get it. We are the richest country, we managed to put men on the moon, for God's sake. Why can't we put some of that wealth and brain power to work on solving this problem?

I am not a single issue voter, but I am getting damn close, regarding health care. I will not vote for anyone who doesn't support UHC. EVER.

Also, there have been some disgustingly heartless replies to this thread.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:12 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,043 times
Quote:
You know what would happen to that $500 insulin if the government (tax payers) started picking up everyone's tab? It would become $2,000 insulin. They'll keep bumping that price as long as the government keeps sending those checks.

But you don't really care if the price goes up, just as long as you're not the one paying the bill.

And the median annual single income would put most people around $15/hr. So your $500 insulin will end up costing someone over 30 hours of their time, working to pay for it. That's over 30 hours stolen from someone else life.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:19 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
You know what would happen to that $500 insulin if the government (tax payers) started picking up everyone's tab? It would become $2,000 insulin. They'll keep bumping that price as long as the government keeps sending those checks.
Funny then, how it doesnt work like that in any developed country where insulin is much cheaper than in America and government pays for it. Could it be that the elected representatives that you vote for are indeed corrupt and have taken bribe money from big pharma to ensure that prices are sky high? Are you open to that possibility?

Which member of Congress did you vote for last election? Lets find out who his or her donors are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies