Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
More than you and your entire family most likely. I wasn't afraid to do hard work unlike the young generation of today who is deathly afraid of it for the most part. BTW, picking crabs apart is not what you would call heavy-duty physical labor. There are machines that do the bulk of the work.

No, not for blue crabs, whether in Maryland or Thailand (where the referenced Phillips gets most of its processed crab meat anyway. That was a minor local scandal when that became public a few years ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that depends. i worked seasonal positions for fourteen years before i got sick and ended up disabled and on dialysis. the problem isnt finding the seasonal jobs, they are out there by the boatload. the problem comes when coming back home and finding someone to hire you on a temporary basis so you can go back to the seasonal position when the season comes back around.

and during that time, you have to live off what you earned during the season. that means paying rent/mortgage, taxes etc. not to mention the cost of going to the seasonal job, and coming back. and the further you have to go for the job, the more expensive it is. for instance for nine seasons i traveled from tucson to shenandoah national park, a one way trip of 2300 miles. some people can make that happen, others cant.
Most people who work seasonal jobs go on unemployment in the off season if that's all they can do is seasonal work. If all you can do is seasonal work you have no business running up bills that require a full time year round job.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:11 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, not for blue crabs, whether in Maryland or Thailand (where the referenced Phillips gets most of its processed crab meat anyway).
Yes for blue crabs. There are presses. I have one.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
The Crab Master? The one that mashes the crab and squeezes it out after you have to ice them down for 1/2 a day? That?

Old 08-21-2018, 08:30 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
I've seen blue crabs being cleaned at operations on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It's all done by hand. And maybe not heavy lifting physically exhausting work but it's tedious and monotonous. I'd bet you wouldn't last 15 minutes.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:43 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I've seen blue crabs being cleaned at operations on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It's all done by hand. And maybe not heavy lifting physically exhausting work but it's tedious and monotonous. I'd bet you wouldn't last 15 minutes.
Hey, I've sat down to eat blue crabs and I'm pretty tired of picking them after the 6th crab. Granted, getting paid would probably make me do more, but my fingers usually get pretty beat up from the shells, etc and I can get small cuts. I'm sure they wear gloves, but they does impact some of your dexterity with picking.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Hey, I've sat down to eat blue crabs and I'm pretty tired of picking them after the 6th crab. Granted, getting paid would probably make me do more, but my fingers usually get pretty beat up from the shells, etc and I can get small cuts. I'm sure they wear gloves, but they does impact some of your dexterity with picking.
Most don't wear gloves. The ones thin enough to not inhibit movement would be shredded by the 3rd crab. Shucking oysters, however, most shuckers will wear gloves. I've seen many wearing work type and also those ones that look like thin chain mail (like the deli workers at Giant wear, or are supposed to, when they're using the slicer).

Old 08-21-2018, 11:06 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
trump's changes to immigration of seasonal workers has left the Maryland crab industry without workers. They have advertised for American workers, but no takers for this tedious work. MD and VA eastern shores of the Chesapeake Bay went big for trump. Now one of the major crab houses is considering moving his operations to Mexico.

Under this same immigrant worker program Mar A Lago manages to get as many workers as trump needs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f5515ac32b3a
But I thought immigrants were taking all the jobs. You mean there's no lines to fill these high paying jobs?

Old 08-21-2018, 12:23 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
But I thought immigrants were taking all the jobs. You mean there's no lines to fill these high paying jobs?
Immigrants?
Do you mean illegal aliens?
Probably not a big population of illegals or legal immigrants in Maryland, USA or perhaps these small business owners run their business legally. Dorchester county has a population of ~32,000 individuals. with an unemployment rate of 5.3, the lowest its been since 2006.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Immigrants?
Do you mean illegal aliens?
Probably not a big population of illegals or legal immigrants in Maryland, USA or perhaps these small business owners run their business legally. Dorchester county has a population of ~32,000 individuals. with an unemployment rate of 5.3, the lowest its been since 2006.
About 15% of Maryland's population is made up of legal immigrants, so maybe 900K:
https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...ts-in-maryland

According to the link at least 125K more are undocumented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies