Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 12:34 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,604,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Can you picture these people when they are elderly, with wrinkled, blotchy,drooping tattoos? Wouldn't it be dangerous for medical personnel trying to find a blue vein if the person's arm is covered with what looks like blue veins?

If you want to make a lot of money, invest in the latest tattoo removing technology.
If the people running tattoo parlors were smart, they'd promote advances in removal technology. There will come a time, when much more money will be made, taking them off, than putting them on. Who puts them on? Anyone, who needs no education, who can wield a tattoo needle. Who takes them off? Plastic surgeons, who are specialized medical doctors or highly-skilled technicians, who work with them. Maybe some tattoo "artists" could get certified for removing them, by attending a community college for a couple of years?

There are temporary tattoos, that are put on like transfer decals. But a possible option of a type that would disappear in a year or so, might become popular and profitable. This would give the tattooed freaks the ability to have a changing display, like the shows at art museums. Remember the movie, "The Illustrated Man"? Will animated tattoos be possible, with several types of inks that would respond differently to varied, low-voltage, galvanic currents, sent through the skin? They could be like animated GIFs, that repeat every second or so.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 08-23-2018 at 01:27 AM..

Old 08-23-2018, 12:47 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 11 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,606,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
One would have to be blind not to notice the ever-expandingtsunami of disgusting ugly tattoos appearing on the bodies of America’s bottomfeeders. Not just small, discrete tats like WWII vets might have gotten, butfull arm “sleeves”, sometimes crawling up the neck, throat et., lending adisgustingly eerie, trailer-trashy, gang bangery mantle of sickness.
This creepy skin-graffiti is not limited to men males, butis also found on women non-males, which contributes an whole other facet to thegross-factor of these body abominations.
Further compounding the disgust-factor, instead of keeping theirindiscretion, their newfound, self-inflicted ugliness, under cover, they seemto be bound and determined to put as much of it (and their poor-to-non-existentjudgement) on as full of display as possible, as if the normal people reallywant to see their grossness, their ugliness in all its putrid vileness.
For the life of me, I can’t understand why (or how) somebody wouldwant to defile themselves, to render themselves as a permanent laughing-stock.Do they think they are improving their appearance, increasing their “presence”,masculinity or femininity getting this graffiti applied to their skin?
]In the past, if an American wanted to stand-out, to get noticed, to set themselves apart from the crowd, they would wear nice clothing, clean and pressed, work to better themselves by being the best tradesman, craftsman, professional or entertainer they could be.
Nowadays, these cheap, shallow, empty people seek to do so by making a mockery of themselves via tattoo-ink, making themselves look more-akin to an MS-13 member than an American of some note or accomplishment.
I implore you, if you are so buggered up, to consider your fellow citizens and keep your ugliness under cover. The rest of are not interested in your idea of "class" or having that ugliness inflicted upon us. Please have consideration for those of us not particularly interested in your ugliness.
"Ugly" is very subjective, just like "beauty" and "cool" are. Even were it objective, it's not actually hurting, harming, or degrading any other person. Irritating or annoying to others, perhaps, but that feeling is trivially unpleasant compared to feelings of personal degradation from others - which is what judging people based on their aesthetics is. The very fact you think this "issue" important enough to post says a lot about how petty you are. This is just exploiting our most primitive brain region's kneejerk reactions, in short, propaganda.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:49 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,138,760 times
That is a good idea, Steve. And you are correct that tattoo removal is profitable. I’m told that some prison programs offer removal to prisoners before release so they can get a job, de-indentify with a former gang, etc. Plastic surgeons are going to be racking up the $$$.

Your idea solves the problem.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:38 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,283,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
They are disgusting on everyone. Please be considerate, and
cover your ugliness up.
May I suggest you follow your own advice, and remember ugliness is not just limited to physical appearance.

Lead by example.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:48 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,559,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
"Ugly" is very subjective, just like "beauty" and "cool" are. Even were it objective, it's not actually hurting, harming, or degrading any other person. Irritating or annoying to others, perhaps, but that feeling is trivially unpleasant compared to feelings of personal degradation from others - which is what judging people based on their aesthetics is. The very fact you think this "issue" important enough to post says a lot about how petty you are. This is just exploiting our most primitive brain region's kneejerk reactions, in short, propaganda.
I'll ignore your childish remarks re; exploiting your primitive brain.

This is just one issue that is contributing to the break-down of society. Have these people have no substantive basis for creating self-worth such as actually doing or being something or somebody? Do they really have to graffiti up our society (and this amounts to no more than skin-applied graffiti and is just as ugly and degrading.

I suppose you are just as ok with people walking around with their pants at half-mast and their BVDs on full display?

Obviously, it is a much larger issue that you can comprehend. BTW, I am not judging by their aesthetics. I am judging them by the ugliness they have applied OVER their aesthetics. Also, I don't think ugly is all that subjective. If you put a person in front of me that I assess is ugly, close to 99% of society would also assess them as ugly.

Also, it isn't about harming a anyone, it is about harming EVERYONE by degrading and cheapening our society.

Another bellwether issue is celebrities appearing on camera looking like they were trapped in a cave for 2 weeks with their ugly beard-stubble. Back in the day, people on screen - especially shows like The Tonight Show, or game shows etc., were immaculate, including a fresh shave. Now they look like trash with their unshaven ugly faces.

Whatever happened to standards in the USA? Maintaining standards is important

Old 08-23-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
May I suggest you follow your own advice, and remember ugliness is not just limited to physical appearance.

Lead by example.
I am.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:56 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,062,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If the people running tattoo parlors were smart, they'd promote advances in removal technology. There will come a time, when much more money will be made, taking them off, than putting them on. Who puts them on? Anyone, who needs no education, who can wield a tattoo needle.
I certainly agree the removal process is undeserved and parlors could fill that void better, but I do take "issue" with your latter point. While I can't speak for everywhere, where I got most of my work done (MA) as well as many other states, have legit requirements you must achieve before you can be a tattoo artist. Are they doctors, no. But they aren't dolts with a part time gig inking someone up in their free time either.

College courses in human physiology, courses in blood disease, safety around bodily fluids, CPR, first aid and then you must be an apprentice for a couple of years before you can be licensed.

Further, wielding a modern tattoo gun is a little more in depth process and technique than something any uneducated person could do. Its a trade and talent no different than many other trades...natural talent with some education and learning experience layered on top.

Now, I fully appreciate there are may be backwoods states in fly over country that have little or no requirements and while that is certainly their prerogative to approach it as such, it does put them in the company of third world countries like the one I grew up in. This is why I will gladly drive 700 miles back to MA to get my next piece done; I trust my artist from a talent and safety POV.

My very verbose point, I agree the removal model is being missed from a capitalistic POV, but I find the latter point to be a bit off the mark. There are good faith arguments to be made on this topic (and as seen in this thread, many bad faith arguments) on both the pro and con side of it. But implying any talent less, uneducated hack can do it isn't one of those good faith arguments IMHO.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Lol...right!

Not to mention fire fighters. I work at a hospital here in Chicago and almost every single cop and firefighter I meet on a daily basis all have tattoos. Arms covered. I also see doctors with tattoos. Not as many though.
But according to OP, they are the bottom feeders. lol. What a joke .

Oh...and I for one think tats can be really sexy on a hot, muscular guy.
I work for a LE agency, and as I can recall, only 1 of our approx. 400 officers has any significant tats, and I NEVER met a doctor who had one. It is a cancer, however, that is rotting its way up our society.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Uh yeah, I work in corporate law. There are tattoos a-plenty in my workplace.
I don't believe you at all. Now if you said criminal law, I might.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Do the ugly people I find unattractive have to cover their bodies and faces when they leave the house? No.

I am an adult and I know how to avert my eyes.

You are responsible for yourself. You cannot expect the rest of us to bend to your desires.

There are a good many things I find ugly... hairstyles, clothing, faces, bodies, MAGA hats, etc.

I mean, nobody asks me ahead of time if they can wear a beer gut in public.

Because the public does not exist to please me.

Or you.
NONE of the things you cite are even 1% as ugly as the tats being parade around these days, and they are so prevalent as to be unavoidable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies