Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 05:21 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why? Because he is a phony! He bashes Wall St, but, has NO problem taking their campaign money.

"
Bernie Sanders slams billionaires, gets reminded he owns 3 houses"

"Sanders was mercilessly mocked for questioning how yachts and cars billionaires need when he and his wifebought their third house — a $600,000 beachfront residence — in August."
I am in no way a Bernie loyalist, but the link doesn't say he takes $$ from WS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 05:22 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
I don't like Besos or think too highly of Amazon. I question that they have created any net jobs. They just took jobs from other retailers and squeezed suppliers, with a net loss of jobs. I don't like the tax breaks and subsidies for a business that is questionable they've created any net jobs and tax revenue.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:23 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
No, when choices for self work are nearly unavailable with access to capital that is privately owned, you either work for someone else, or you starve.
Have you been living under a rock? The number of self-employed via contract work instead of "company employees" has exploded. They own and sell their own labor. Period.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology...uber-employees

Old 08-29-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Have you been living under a rock? The number of self-employed via contract work instead of "company employees" has exploded. They own and sell their own labor. Period.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology...uber-employees
No, this is meaningless and takes nothing from my point. My mother was a contract worker, and the needs of her labor were decided by the company. She wasn’t allowed to practice her labor (in this case, programming), in total freedom, she was assigned work, with pay being decided by the owner of the capital.

If she didn’t like the control, she could quite and work for someone else that also would confine her labor to their needs.

None of that changes the work dynamics, and pay is not the output of one’s production(usually there is no correlation as work given is usually meaningless by itself), it is a variable that people need to survive. Furthermore pay is organized not by a case by case scenario (an individuals labor), but on how it would affect the company on a micro level.

And this dynamic repeats itself over every private industry.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:56 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Quote:
For people like him to become billionaires, others must be kept down.

Half million+ jobs. By "kept down", you mean unemployed? Think before you post.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Yeah but for all we know Amazon caused the loss of a 600,000 or more jobs from other retailers and suppliers.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:04 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
No, this is meaningless and takes nothing from my point.
It's not meaningless at all. What else do you think self-employed means?

Old 08-29-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I know what I’m talking about, do you?

Employment is not the be all end all of existence. Authoritarian regimes had everyone employed, conversely private industry today acts similarly controlling labor and using it to maximize production of their supply to help create demand (increase quantity of something that is available makes people more likely to buy it) while keeping a monopoly on supply chains.

Furthermore, employees have no freedom to practice their labor as they see fit while producing based off of their own needs thanks to the Bezos of the world who control capital and use others people labor as they see fit, most of them not producing anything of value individually. Furthermore compensation has to correlation to production, it’s a tool that people need to survive and therefore will give up their access to freedom in exchange for survival.

In this way, capitalism achieves the authoritarian model of controlling work by decentralizing power centers (different companies) who all operate in the same non-democratic manner without having to resort to physical enforcement (though they do sometimes by using state police to defend laws they wrote).

And Bezos is one of the biggest problems.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not meaningless at all. What else do you think self-employed means?
The term means nothing by itself if it is defined by giving control of your labor to the owners of the capital to do with as they see fit. The dynamic is the same, the words don’t change that.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:27 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,235 times
I read some of the comments and it doesn't surprise me. Right now the top 1% owns over 50% of the world's wealth, probably in a few more years they will own 99% of the world's wealth and 99% of the population will own 1%. And you'll still have people saying that rich people got it through honest hard work. They are either plain ignorant/clueless, or are actually evolving into animals to believe that's how society should be structured.

Last edited by thelogo; 08-29-2018 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies