Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 01:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

1) Why did they have to be pushed to have an FBI investigation? Surely an innocent person would demand one to clear his name?

2) Why would an accuser request an FBI investigation if they were lying?

I'm also of the belief, that innocent or guilty, the man displayed horrible traits that a Supreme Court judge should not have.
He was vindictive, not in control of his emotions, ranted, accused others who are not there to defend themselves and on and on.

I wouldn't want this man judging or deciding anything.

America, be very wary of this guy.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:40 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times
Default Sen. Lindsey Graham Says He'll Launch Investigation Into Who Leaked Kavanaugh Accuer's Letter

https://www.dailywire.com/news/36511...ign=benshapiro

Old 09-30-2018, 01:41 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Southbel and K.A, both carry a trait worth noting. Critical thinking is rare to find. It's important to have the 'unknowns' brought to light. Ive thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread.

Someone made a snarky remark about my epic failure at yearbook humor..and I had to step back .and after the person said 'nobody cares about your yearbook'. ! As if to rattle my bones.. Instead I sat and delayed response..because I found common ground. I really don't care about kav 's yearbook or entries. They are his memories of a time gone by. Yet there sat elected officials playing mock lawyers to decipher the hidden messages.

To clarify though on some facts. DR Ford is a clinicians. .in psych. Her forte is in the data side not the face to face banter.

Fact: public servants are and can be given drug tests... this includes judges . Where was that line of question in the 'farce',job interview hearing?

On a nieve note....how can a person be called a 'witness'? A predeposition that something (foundation) happened needs to transpire to be named a witness to an event. I can honestly say I did not 'witness' something if I wasn't there to begin with!!!

There is a saying...give an inch...take a foot. That's about how this is heading...

The Dems are playing limbo..and have a few inches more to go on how low they can go. I can categorize it because A: That's how they wish to identify politically.

Can someone here though with 100% certainty say they will be alive in 40 years? 10? ... I don't know anyone's 'lifetime' expectancy. I do not even know with 100% certainty whether this country can keep headin into the twilight zone of distorted thinking.

And to the poster who offered to sell a bridge...I'd like to buy it please? Cuz there is a lot of something we are knee deep in...a bridge would help .

Old 09-30-2018, 01:46 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times
No one is saying ignore sexual abuse! We are saying in this country you used to be innocent until proven guilty, and that those are VERY heinous allegations with nothing to back them up.

Who on Earth would not agree that sexual abuse is a heinous, traumatic thing?

Old 09-30-2018, 01:51 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times
Default here is what an FBI background check is and (more importantly) what it is NOT

https://twitchy.com/jacobb-38/2018/0...ampaign=buffer

Old 09-30-2018, 01:55 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,403,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
This is exactly what I’m talking about. Shift the focus away from the content of the document itself; let’s make it about who leaked it. This coming from someone who has already stated that no matter what the FBI investigation uncovers, he’s voting for Kavanaugh regardless.

This is how institutions become unraveled.

Nobody is attempting to corroborate anything. It’s all about staying in your corner of the political ring. We are entering uncertain times as a democracy.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:04 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
This entire process is politically motivated, self serving theatrics from both sides of the isle. Everyone here attempting to poke holes in either Ford or Kavanaugh’s testimony seems to be doing so with a desired outcome in mind.

The truth is Ford’s testimony, while compelling, lacks anything tangible that lends credence to any of it. But there’s no clear incentive, not even money, to invite the scrutiny and indefinite exposure that comes with this type of revelation against a sitting Federal Judge and Supreme Court nominee.

Kavanaugh, truthfully, seems like a decent albeit entitled family man who drinks more than he’s comfortable acknowledging publicly. It’s certainly plausible that someone with a documented record of drinking to excess could’ve gotten a bit carried away at times without remembering what transpired in detail.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I think an incident happened, but the only one who considers it a legitimate, life altering assault is Dr. Ford. I believe Mark Judge and the others were there, but want no parts of sinking Kavanaugh’s nomination for what they consider kids being kids almost 40 years ago. Failed recollection keeps the center of gravity safely removed.

Also, I don’t believe that anybody on the Judiciary Commitee is authentically sympathetic toward either of them.
Thank you for this. Some sanity. Perhaps both deserve some sympathy but then both also bear some degree of responsibility.

Ford appears to have carried some degree of trauma with her these years. Confronting Kavanaugh is not outrageous in and of itself. But since her allegation may be improvable timing it to the nomination may have been a mistake. That imposes a certain burden not only on her but on her family and arguably on the nation. It is hard not to question whether there might have been a better path.

As for Kavanaugh, I cannot judge how he might have characterized their "interaction" (IMHO something happened in that room) or what he might recall. At a minimum we cannot always escape the consequences of our actions even as a 17yo and think a less confrontational stance at the hearing might have served him better.

Neither of them may have "deserved" what they got - Ford from Kavanaugh maybe thinking her a **** or perhaps from being too drunk and piling her onto that bed OR Kavanaugh from having some youthful behavior rear up to bite him in the you-know-what.

Either way, $hit sometimes happens in life. All you can do is to deal with it wisely. Here, I'm not sure either has demonstrated that level of wisdom.

Tough call with the nomination. You used the word "entitled" and that's a personality characteristic that Kavanaugh appears to have demonstrated in spades in how he treated Ford and one that's stayed with him as an adult. Not really SCOTUS judge-material. But then not liking the guy's personality really isn't a disqualifier for the Supreme Court - at least historically.

Last edited by EveryLady; 09-30-2018 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 02:11 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, listen up, young ladies. If you ever go to a party, drink, hang out with other people who are drinking, and someone feels you up, you are now officially a victim of sexual assault. There doesn't have to be any witnesses, no injuries, no clothing removed, you don't have to tell anyone, not your best friend, not your parents, certainly not the police. Don't worry about any of that - you can come up decades later and make these assertions, and don't worry, no one will be allowed to question your motives, look at your past, speak against you in any way, because you have now donned the Victim Princess Crown and you are now a maligned saint.

OK, listen up, young men. If you ever go to a party, drink, hang out with other people who are drinking (especially females), and some sexy young thing invites you into a room for a make-out session, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! Never, ever, be alone with anyone. Never, ever, hug or kiss anyone except your mother or your Aunt Agnes! It might even be a good idea to wear a body camera and/or a recording device and save all recordings to CDs. It is also a good idea to keep a calendar and a diary.

You never know when an accusation will be made in years to come, and you better be prepared to cope with it.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:24 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Maybe she went to warn the other girls there.
Swetnick is no Paul Revere in the warning of danger department. Not only did guys continue to line up to rape girls at those parties, but she claims to have been raped at a party K and Judge attended. If her 'warnings' did prevent some rapes, good. Who knows, had Ford told her friends what those two guys did to her, a few more girls might have stayed away.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:26 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
This entire process is politically motivated, self serving theatrics from both sides of the isle. Everyone here attempting to poke holes in either Ford or Kavanaugh’s testimony seems to be doing so with a desired outcome in mind.

The truth is Ford’s testimony, while compelling, lacks anything tangible that lends credence to any of it. But there’s no clear incentive, not even money, to invite the scrutiny and indefinite exposure that comes with this type of revelation against a sitting Federal Judge and Supreme Court nominee.

Kavanaugh, truthfully, seems like a decent albeit entitled family man who drinks more than he’s comfortable acknowledging publicly. It’s certainly plausible that someone with a documented record of drinking to excess could’ve gotten a bit carried away at times without remembering what transpired in detail.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I think an incident happened, but the only one who considers it a legitimate, life altering assault is Dr. Ford. I believe Mark Judge and the others were there, but want no parts of sinking Kavanaugh’s nomination for what they consider kids being kids almost 40 years ago. Failed recollection keeps the center of gravity safely removed.

Also, I don’t believe that anybody on the Judiciary Commitee is authentically sympathetic toward either of them.
Interesting, but why doesn't it occur to you that incentive may be that she believes as passionately as many of her fellow Dems, including the Senate Judiciary Committee that Kavanaugh specifically should be kept off the court by any means necessary?

What does she have to lose? When she's finished doing all the damage she can, she goes back to her elite privileged life in academia and her multi million dollar home in one of the most liberal towns in the country where her "supportive" community will hail her as a hero. In the meantime, she has a vacay hiding out till the crazies move onto something else.

Maybe nothing ever happened between her and BK/MJ. Maybe something totally consensual happened between her and one or both of them that she is now totally distorting to fit her narrative.

From her perspective its a perfect crime they can not possibly defend...…..no date, no place, etc.

In this scenario, she has them by the cojones, they know it and in the current hysteria of #metoo their only possible means to salvage their careers, reps, families, etc is disavow any and all possible encounters with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies